gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:16:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24383 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

At least we got Brian. He's workin' for us. Signing off on this compilation is part of that.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »

The Beach Boys official site has the full new stereo remix of Don't Worry Baby on the main page to listen:
http://thebeachboys.com/

Amazon also has samples up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XJNZ7M?ie=UTF8&tag=emilink214-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B001XJNZ7M
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

The last thing we got from Capitol was Hawthorne, in what, 2001?  Before that it was the 96 Pet Sounds Box and then the 93 GV box.  I think the 2008 "Shingles" box was supposed to be our most recent bone.   LOL

You forgot Endless Harmony and Ultimate Christmas...
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »

At least we got Brian. He's workin' for us. Signing off on this compilation is part of that.

Jon -

Do you have any idea of when BRI will open the floodgates?! They have so much material they are sitting on, and a rabid fanbase, at least in my household. I didn't purchase Sights and Sounds of Summer or Warmth of the Sun (although I enjoyed the podcast series immensely.)

As someone mentioned a few pages back - maybe it was you - they are trying to cater to two very different markets with releases such as these. I am getting sick of it. A few new stereo mixes and an official version of "Fallin' in Love" would be cool if they were buffered by some more unreleased material.

It's odd to me that Endless Harmony came out in 99 and Hawthorne, CA came out around 2001 (correct?) yet in the decade since, they haven't seen fit to release another archival collection.

Is this because of their plans to sell rarities online?

- b00ts

- B00ts
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:19 PM »

Some of the covers I love are Smiley Smile and Wild Honey; All Summer Long and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!).

The worst thing associated with the band is the stuff for the box set discs: an air-brushed orange exploding in outer space?  Yeah, that expresses Brian's muse perfectly.

As to the 70s logo-

I believe they used it on the front cover of 15 Big Ones for the very first time and it never fails to remind me of 50s jukebox nostalgia...

The perfect phrase- that's it exactly.  It's a shame the Bach Boys never had a good, definitive logo in the sixties, like the Beatles' "drop 'T' ".  I agree that they should try to market the Pet Sounds font.

I think the new cover is fine- I like it a lot better than the bland nature photography of the last two.  They really haven't known quite how to rebrand the Beach Boys in a long time.  I actually don't think this is lifted from the "Endless Summer" art because (1) it doesn't resemble either of those in color or composition and (2) it's just two different flat styles, neither of which is that novel.  "Endless Summer" is a sort of a silkscreen look with jarring, unnatural colors, and this cover is just a common Photoshop effect called "posterizing" which I've used a billion times. The similarity, I guess, is surfers seen from behind, silhouetted, in flat colors, and- big surprise- the sun appears in both. That sounds pretty close, I agree, but there's more than enough different that I don't think it's a lift.

Unfortunately, the story of these cover designs is in this question: who are they trying to sell to?  Nobody on this board, unfortunately.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2009, 06:03:53 AM »

What's this 'outro' on "Girls On The Beach"?

And I'm glad they decided to reverse the order of the first 2 tracks; would have been weird to have a cover as the opener.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:06:06 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2009, 06:19:16 AM »

my favorite album cover is probably All Summer Long.. perfect.

That, and Wild Honey. Both perfect, as someone once said.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »

How can it be seen as something like a new part to "Sounds of summer" and "Warmth of the sun" when some of the tracks are the same?
Anyway, great to have "Lady". I guess this might be because of POB's succes as a re-release. maybe we'll really get more Dennis-material in the future.

Agreed. But did 'Lady' really never surface on CD before?

Sure did.. Super Furry Animals included it on their 2005 Under The Influence compilation. "Feel Flows" is on there too.

But on the Super Furry Animals comp it's a vinyl transfer of the original mono B-side.  And despite the press release says, "Lady" was originally mixed in stereo for the original "Sunflower" lineup.  Let's hope they use that original stereo mix, 'cause it's gorgeous.

And people wonder why sometimes I get a bit tetchy. Guy asked if "Lady" was ever on CD before... I give the CD it was on, only for someone to start with the "buts". "Lady" has been on CD before. No buts. It has.

But...!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »

What's this 'outro' on "Girls On The Beach"?

I can answer my own question now (I just heard it): it sounds like a brief vocal-only snippet from "Don't Worry Baby."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »

Out tomorrow  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »

Bought the new tracks last night. My review:

Don't Worry Baby sounds great. The new remix really improves the old mix by a lot.

Why do Fools Fall in Love really doesn't need that intro imo. Feels tacked on. The rest of the song this amazing. Sounds wonderful in stereo. I may even go as far as saying it's the best stereo remix of a BB song so far.

Hushabye really doesn't sound too much different then it's original mix but it's in better quality that's for sure.

I'm So Young starts off in mono but then kicks in stereo after the vocal intro. There's an organ in here that I've never heard before. Decent stereo remix.

Good to my Baby packs a punch especially in the intro and chorus. Much better then I thought it was gonna be.

Fallin' in Love is amazing. Unlike others, I really love the intro and the part where it goes into the "old intro" gave me the chills in a good way.

Time to Get Alone is a waste of time. Just clearer background vocals and as Andrew Doe has said, the effect on "deep and wide" is ruined. Unless you're a completist, stay way.

If I had to rank them, I'll go:
1. Fallin' in Love
2. Why Do Fools fall in Love
3. Don't Worry Baby
4. Good to My Baby
5. I'm So Young
6. Hushabye
7. Time to Get Alone
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

I guarantee it well sell a million in January.

BTW, am I the only one who likes the cover art for Keepin' The Summer Alive? It's cheesy, but so are the late 70s BBs. If it had Brian hunched over a piano in the corner smoking a cigarette it would have been perfect.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:22:18 AM by Dada » Logged
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »

I guarantee it well sell a million in January.

BTW, am I the only one who likes the cover art for Keepin' The Summer Alive? It's cheesy, but so are the late 70s BBs. If it had Brian hunched over a piano in the corner smoking a cigarette it would have been perfect.

I love it too, but we are a small minority. I love that whole album.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »

After hearing the new release and the versions of Hushabye, WDFFIL, DWB etc........I wondered what had been done to the mixes.  Weren't these to have been original master recordings....as they were intended?

They sound nice but....altered.  Seemed to me the harmony parts were louder and more upfront, something I don't mind cause that is one fine harmony.  At the same time, some lead vocal and guitar seemed to recede into the background just a bit.  Time to get alone's rhythm seems to dance back and forth between the stereo speakers..  Interesting but a little much on first hearing.  Sort of disconcerting.

Comments?
Lady
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »

"Fallin' In Love" is beautiful.

The new mixes? Although it's a wonderful story how they were found... IMO-- bottom line: new mixes sound layered and a few sound cavernous; some of the new digital remasters sound so clean they're almost sterile.

It would have been nice to see one of Dan Mackin's paintings used for the CD cover.  He collaborated with Brian Wilson on some paintings:

www.danmackin.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »

Capitol really under estimate the Beach Boys, out of stock already on amazon.co.UK  Roll Eyes

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »

Capitol really under estimate the Beach Boys, out of stock already on amazon.co.UK  Roll Eyes

Well, one of those was mine... wonder who bought the other one ?  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

Well, one of those was mine... wonder who bought the other one ?  Roll Eyes

LMAO

It's not that bad is it.  Grin

Sad thing is, it's actualy charting well on amazon in America, Canada UK and stuff.. and on the the iTunes pop charts, so we can expect a few more comps on the way

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

Downloaded 5 of the tunes last night from Amazon.  That way I can make my own comp and skip the songs/mixes I already have.

WDFFIL is incredible in stereo.  I agree with the poster who said it may be one of the best remixes ever.  The intro is interesting; I can't help but wonder what the story is behind that.  Things like that didn't show up on BB albums until about two years later.

I'm So Young and Good to My Baby are pretty good, although a little narrow on the stereo for my tastes.

Time to Get Alone is just a step below excellent for me.  The clarity is a big plus; it's nice to get away from that late 60s muddiness.  You can really hear all those intricate vocals now.  Contrary to some other opinions, the "deep and wide" part actually works for me.  I always thought the original segment of that was a little jarring...but that's just me.  The part I do have a little trouble with is getting used to the extra reverb on the lead vocals.  Added reverb on remixes usually doesn't bother me, but on this one it seems to take some of the intimacy out of the song.  Minor nitpick, though.  I will most likely get used to it.

Fallin' in Love....never heard it before now, so I have nothing to compare it to.  I can't think of a grand enough word to describe it.  Wow!  That's all I can say.  For some reason the instrumental part reminds me of Ennio Morricone!

Bottom line:  as always, I'm happy to have these remixes and I will listen to them often.  BTW, I passed on downloading Don't Worry Baby after hearing the sample.  Believe it or not, I've always liked that original split style vocal.  The new mix was done very well, but sadly, it makes the song a bit boring for me.  Please, I hope this nitpick doesn't deter anyone.  It's a matter of taste.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »

Got my copy yesterday and listened to with headphones last night. I still dunno. While it is always interesting to hear things mixed differently than I have heard before, it is getting to the point of being overload. And WHY or WHY did they do that to Fallin' In Love?! I mean, I like it, but I also have the original (from a digital source which sounds amazing!). If only one shoudl be out in the public domain, it should be the original. The other new mixes, are well, as Mark as said numerous times, they are mixing things with an ear towards the IPOD/MP3 market......so it has to be bright and loud. So some of this sounds that way on good equipment.

I know, I am being picky. I am over 50 now. I am allowed to be!

Bob
Lady
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »

.....Time to Get Alone is just a step below excellent for me....

I agree.  I love the way you can hear the violins, and Carl's voice really comes through. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »

While it is always interesting to hear things mixed differently than I have heard before, it is getting to the point of being overload.

I think it's great that Mr. Linett is giving us these choices.  I imagine everyone is going to have different reactions to them.  That's why in my post above, I threw in the disclaimer about the new mix of Don't Worry Baby (which basically carries over to the remixes of In the Parkin' Lot, etc).  Just because they don't do anything for me, it doesn't mean other people aren't going to embrace them.  I still have my '90 twofer and probably always will (although it's too bad I can't graft the new mix of Why Do Fools onto it...well, I could make a cd-r, I suppose).   

Anyway, "different strokes" and all that.  There's nothing wrong with being picky; it's what we do.  We're Beach Boys fans!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

[. [/quote]

Anyway, "different strokes" and all that.  There's nothing wrong with being picky; it's what we do.  We're Beach Boys fans!
[/quote]
Exactly Cool

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »

which basically carries over to the remixes of In the Parkin' Lot, etc

Where has "In the Parkin' Lot" been remixed?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »

Time To Get Alone doesn't sound right to me. It's nice to hear all the details, but to my ears Carl's original production sounds much more elegant and vigorous. Not particularly fond of the increased reverb on the lead vocals, too.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx