gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:09:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallin' in Love (Lady)  (Read 12663 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »

While writing an article for ESQ I spoke to the David Frost Production company and they told me that they believed that the show where he performed "Lady" was indeed gone for good as far as they knew.  As I wrote, however, there is a complete audio tape of the TV appearance which makes the rounds. 
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »

Sad to say, the only reason we had the David Frost clip of "Cool Cool Water" from 1970 for the "Endless Harmony" film was because a fellow I knew in Washington DC had worked on the Frost show back in the day, and he had dubbed a copy for himself of that one appearance because he liked it so much.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 11:29:30 PM »

I think that Lady is Dennis' best song. It's real pretty.

It's easily among my top 5 Dennis songs. Let's see...

1. Cuddle Up
2. Lady
3. Little Bird
4. Forever
5. Tug of Love

I agree with both of you. Here's mine:

1. Thoughts Of You
2. Lady
3. Cuddle Up
4. Love Remember Me
5. Tie - Moonshine or You And I

Based purely on emotion, not many artists EVER can match those.

"Thoughts of You", that's another GREAT one. When I first heard the very final chords of Dennis' piano variations on "Thoughts" on the second disc of the POB reissue I was awestruck at how gorgeous that music was.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »

Sad to say, the only reason we had the David Frost clip of "Cool Cool Water" from 1970 for the "Endless Harmony" film was because a fellow I knew in Washington DC had worked on the Frost show back in the day, and he had dubbed a copy for himself of that one appearance because he liked it so much.

Interesting. At least that clip survives (glass half full outlook).

Alan, can you supply the details about this version of Lady/Fallin' in Love (I assume they're in the
liner notes but haven't bought the album yet). Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »

I assume they're in the liner notes

They're not. There are some cool pictures though!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »

I assume they're in the
liner notes...

What liner notes ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:04 PM »

I assume they're in the liner notes

They're not. There are some cool pictures though!

The pix are, with one exception, from the All Summer Long photoshoot.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »

Don't think I ever knew that was the origin of the "Cool Cool Water" segment; how fantastic!  Still, somehow I always assumed that the Frost "Lady" footage would one day turn up, if only in a grainy copy...  (Guess that's partly because I have such a vivid memory of watching it air originally, too.)  But that's beginning to seem less & less likely, as time passes by.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »

Don't think I ever knew that was the origin of the "Cool Cool Water" segment; how fantastic!  Still, somehow I always assumed that the Frost "Lady" footage would one day turn up, if only in a grainy copy...  (Guess that's partly because I have such a vivid memory of watching it air originally, too.)  But that's beginning to seem less & less likely, as time passes by.

Didn't they have early reel to reel recorders for taping TV then or was then a bit after?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »

Didn't they have early reel to reel recorders for taping TV then or was then a bit after?

For sure they did.  Dennis & I had this big old console 1" reel to reel, that you could record TV with; however, it would have been godawful expensive...  (Don't think any tapes exist from that machine).  However, we next moved on to 1/2" black & white reel to reel; (that's what  Billy's black & white footage was shot on).  Actually, some of those tapes I have stored away are TV shows; others are home movies & such.  We quickly moved on to 3/4" color cassettes, and I've got lot's of TV stuff on those tapes, including the full show of Midnight Special.  I also shot tons of live shows on 3/4.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the original version, but I think they weakened the song a bit with this new mix.

I prefer the original opening, with just the stark rhythm -- the way the orchestration doesn't come in until after the first verse is very effective.

Also, Dennis's vocals are a lot more prominent in the original mix.

Bummer--the main reason I bought this CD is because of this song, and I'm a little disappointed with it.

Glenn
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »

I echo everyone by saying I don't like the strings in the beginning.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »

I have a slight preference for not adding the strings to the intro, but I don't care much either way on it. And I do think it's a great mix overall.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

Again, I like both versions; I find them noticeably different. I think "Fallin' In Love" is one of those songs, such a great song, that it's hard to ruin it.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »

I think the string intro is beautiful, but I can also appreciate the starkness of the opening of the orig. version, both ways are cool to me. But I do prefer this new mix overall. Lady always seemed(to me) like a song with a very dramatic first minute and then it went nowhere. I think the new mix solves that to my ears, as the production grows larger in the second half of this new version, it just sounds more muscular to me, which i like. What blows my mind is that Capitol has placed a promo sticker on the front cover of the new BB's compilation touting the fact that there's a new Dennis song on it, that's the primary sales point that they decided on for this CD release...things have changed, never would have happened even two years ago.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

I think the string intro is beautiful, but I can also appreciate the starkness of the opening of the orig. version, both ways are cool to me. But I do prefer this new mix overall. Lady always seemed(to me) like a song with a very dramatic first minute and then it went nowhere. I think the new mix solves that to my ears, as the production grows larger in the second half of this new version, it just sounds more muscular to me, which i like. What blows my mind is that Capitol has placed a promo sticker on the front cover of the new BB's compilation touting the fact that there's a new Dennis song on it, that's the primary sales point that they decided on for this CD release...things have changed, never would have happened even two years ago.

That's pretty fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »

I would love to see a 4CD Dennis box set with his BB songs and plenty of unreleased & rare stuff from 66-77

Jon, are you hopeful/involved in this already?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

I agree with Jon - the second half of the song is so much stronger now. Those counterpoint "la-la-las" and humming are so lovely; really unlike anything else Dennis did.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx