gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:52:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24355 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »

Thoughts??

THE BEACH BOYS PROVIDE THE PERFECT SOUNDTRACK TO SUN-KISSED ROMANCE WITH SUMMER LOVE SONGS, TO BE RELEASED MAY 19 BY CAPITOL/EMI

New Collection Features 20 Timeless Classics, Including Six New Stereo Mixes and a Previously Unreleased Song

Hollywood, California – April 6, 2009 – The Beach Boys have long been the world’s leading, harmonious voice of summer fun, with an ocean’s swell of universally-loved songs about the beach, surfing, hot rods, and in no small measure, girls and sun-kissed romance.  20 of The Beach Boys’ best love songs, from tender ballads to boisterous romps, have been gathered for Summer Love Songs, a new 20-track CD and digital collection to be released May 19 (May 18 internationally) by Capitol/EMI.  Three classic tracks have been mixed in stereo for the first time, exclusively for this release, and three others have received new stereo mixes.  Two of the new stereo mixes have been created from long lost, newly-recovered analog multi-track masters. A rare track, previously unreleased in the U.S. and long out-of-print in the U.K., is also included.

The Beach Boys’ romantic ballads, including “God Only Knows,” “Please Let Me Wonder,” and “Don’t Worry, Baby,” and their playful, high-energy love songs, including “California Girls” and “Good To My Baby,” come together as the perfect soundtrack to romantic fun in the sun on Summer Love Songs. Evocative of time and place for all who hear them, these classics continue to warm hearts around the world.

Two of Summer Love Songs’ new stereo mixes, for “Don’t Worry, Baby” and “Why Do Fools Fall In Love,” have been created from newly-recovered analog multi-track masters that went missing from the Western Recorders studio in Los Angeles after they were first recorded in the mid-1960s. These original 3-track analog masters were recently recovered by The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI for the first time since they were used for the band’s Shut Down, Vol. 2 album in 1964.  The collection’s four other tracks with new stereo mixes are “Hushabye,” “I’m So Young,” “Good To My Baby,” and “Time To Get Alone.”

Summer Love Songs also includes “Fallin’ In Love,” a song written and recorded by Dennis Wilson during the Beach Boys’ Sunflower album sessions in 1970.  The track has never before been released in the U.S. and has long been out-of-print in the U.K. (where it was released as “Lady”).  This track has also been mixed in stereo for the first time.

Summer Love Songs follows the worldwide success of 2003’s Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys, now approaching the triple platinum sales mark in the U.S., and 2007’s The Warmth Of The Sun, a career-spanning collection of deeper album cuts, hand-selected and sequenced by The Beach Boys. Summer Love Songs complements the previous collections as a distinct addition to the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers’ legendary catalog.

THE BEACH BOYS: Summer Love Songs (CD, digital)

1.  Why Do Fools Fall In Love [new stereo mix from newly recovered analog multi-track master]

2.  Don’t Worry, Baby [new stereo mix from newly recovered analog multi-track master]

3.  Wouldn't It Be Nice

4.  God Only Knows

5.  Surfer Girl

6.  California Girls

7.  Please Let Me Wonder

8.  In The Parkin' Lot

9.  Your Summer Dream

10. Kiss Me, Baby

11. Hushabye [new stereo mix]

12. I'm So Young [new stereo mix]

13. Good To My Baby [new stereo mix]

14. Fallin' In Love [previously unreleased track, written and recorded by Dennis Wilson]

15. Time To Get Alone [new stereo mix]

16. Our Sweet Love

17. Help Me, Rhonda

18. Keep An Eye On Summer

19. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)

20. Girls On The Beach

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »

Hell YEAH!! This is great news... of course the stereo remixes are nice, but this is great that we are finally getting Lady on CD Smiley Of course they could have done us a favour and included Sound Of Free too, but I guess they'll save that for another comp... Still, better than the usual compilations
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »

Wow. This looks all over the place.  What a mess.  Great to (officially) have Lady, but it would've been better to have released it with material of a similar vintage. Can't hep but think this is just a crass marketing ploy to hook all those who bought POB (that's Pacific Ocean Blue unless you're on the Hoffman board, in which case it's the Plastic Ono Band, but you knew that anyway). So we're getting remixes, uh? Big deal.  Give us something we crave!!!!!!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Hm.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »

How can it be seen as something like a new part to "Sounds of summer" and "Warmth of the sun" when some of the tracks are the same?
Anyway, great to have "Lady". I guess this might be because of POB's succes as a re-release. maybe we'll really get more Dennis-material in the future.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »

Some very nice selections and it's good to see evidence that Cap/EMI are locating lost tapes. Maybe the Columbia SMiLE vocal sessions tapes next?

But (Sunflower tracks aside) it does just re-inforces the idea that the BBs did nothing after the 60s.

i guess we'll never be pleased, eh guys!   Roll Eyes

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »

How can it be seen as something like a new part to "Sounds of summer" and "Warmth of the sun" when some of the tracks are the same?
Anyway, great to have "Lady". I guess this might be because of POB's succes as a re-release. maybe we'll really get more Dennis-material in the future.

Agreed. But did 'Lady' really never surface on CD before?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »

I'm excited to hear the stereo mixes, and that they have located some previously missing masters.  Other than that, not a ton to get excited about for us diehards, but I suppose it's nice that Capitol is keeping the music out there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:42 AM »

Sure did.. Super Furry Animals included it on their 2005 Under The Influence compilation. "Feel Flows" is on there too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

Sure did.. Super Furry Animals included it on their 2005 Under The Influence compilation. "Feel Flows" is on there too.

But on the Super Furry Animals comp it's a vinyl transfer of the original mono B-side.  And despite the press release says, "Lady" was originally mixed in stereo for the original "Sunflower" lineup.  Let's hope they use that original stereo mix, 'cause it's gorgeous.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

But on the Super Furry Animals comp it's a vinyl transfer of the original mono B-side.  And despite the press release says, "Lady" was originally mixed in stereo for the original "Sunflower" lineup.  Let's hope they use that original stereo mix, 'cause it's gorgeous.

And people wonder why sometimes I get a bit tetchy. Guy asked if "Lady" was ever on CD before... I give the CD it was on, only for someone to start with the "buts". "Lady" has been on CD before. No buts. It has.

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »

"Don't Worry Baby" is ALREADY in stereo!  It was on the original LP!  That was before the "mono only" policy.  Now OK they've remixed it again, it may be good, who knows.  But they needn't have bothered.  Hardly a selling point.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »

Does this mean ALL the Shut Down Vol 2 multitracks have been located, or only don't Worry Baby and Why Do fools fall in love?  This has been a major gap in the archive, it would be fantastic if they've all been found.  Could the Good vibrations multitracks be found next?

I agree with Dr. Tim - what's wrong with the original stereo mix of Don't Worry Baby?  Why do we need a remix?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »

"Don't Worry Baby" is ALREADY in stereo!  It was on the original LP!  That was before the "mono only" policy.  Now OK they've remixed it again, it may be good, who knows.  But they needn't have bothered.  Hardly a selling point.

'cause the mix is odd - lead one side, bvs the other and the track in the middle.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »

It's a unique track mix, reminds me of one of those endless Capitol compilations from the late 80's/early 90's that would have the weirdest mixes like Cabinessence into Finders Keepers or Something.   Why do Fools Fall in Love again?? Its not even their freaking song and no one cares the Beach Boys cut it!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

Then... don't buy it.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »

In the Parking Lot?!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

If this means the masters for "Shut Down Vol. II" were found, that is amazing news.  Were the rest of the missing 1963 masters found as well?

And even though "Don't Worry Baby" was released in stereo, it was bounced down to mono during the recording process.  I'm not exactly sure what the track breakdown is, but you at least have a doubled vocal from Brian, and possibly a stereo backing track and stereo backing vocals too.  A few other tracks in this comp were bounced down in a similar manner and are being remixed as well.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »

danget, it's sold me already

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »

When was 'I'm So Young' ever released in stereo? Shouldn't that be a first time stereo mix?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »

Not got the 2fer to hand... but maybe the bonus alternate mix on the Today !/Summer Days... CD ?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »

15. Time To Get Alone [new stereo mix]

Has to be worth the entrance money... one of BW's finest.  Can't wait to hear the new mix.  I'm a cynic but I'm in!

“We live in divisive times.”
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »

When was 'I'm So Young' ever released in stereo? Shouldn't that be a first time stereo mix?

"New Stereo Mix" is just a catch all term.  "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and "Good To My Baby" have never been officially released in stereo either.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »

'cause the mix is odd - lead one side, bvs the other and the track in the middle.

I actually prefer that to the usual alternative, vocals in the middle and instrumental track in stereo.  They were using four track at this time, I guess if they synch the instrumental track before the bounce to the final four track with vocals they could  have stereo vocals (but depending on the final four track breakdown, they may still be able only to put the lead in one channel and backing on the other)  with a stereo instrumental track.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »

You have a good point. I do prefer to hear a lot of the original vocals in mono, though. I've been hoping for a remix of Don't Worry Baby, because I never liked the original mix at all.

One thing that surprises me, is that Help Me Rhonda will probably still be in Mono. As far as I could tell, a stereo mix of that should be possible.

A few more 'remixes', and we should have a complete Stereo 'Today!' album...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx