gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:10:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone recommended to me Hawaii by the High Llamas  (Read 5084 times)
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »

... by saying that if I enjoyed Brian's mid-to-late 60's music I'd love these guys.

I'm listening to it now. I think they need to do more drugs.  Tongue

Who have people recommended to you through the Beach Boys?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:15 PM »

The song "Nightingales" by Prefab Sprout, and of course the Dukes of Stratosphear incarnation of XTC. "D.W.Suite" by Lindsey Buckingham (Album: Go Insane). Shocked

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »

There were little pieces of that High Llamas album that I liked, but overall I just couldn't see what the fuss was about.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:14:52 AM »

I'm with you on the High Llamas. Here are some songs that I found through people telling me it sounded like the Beach Boys that I actually liked:

Panda Bear - "Bros"
Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal"
Harry Nilsson - "Everything's Got 'Em"
Van Dyke Parks - "Donovan's Colours"
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:50 AM »

I remember getting a High Llamas album on the same recommendation (I think it was "Hawaii") and listening to it on the road.  I tossed the cassette out the window somewhere on I-5 between Medford, Oregon and Yreka, California.  I was really insulted....I was like, "Carl Wilson already did this in 1971!"  There was one song where they weren't trying to sound like anybody else, and it was really excellent.  The rest just pissed me off.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »

I am rather fond of the Llamas. But for anyone here being dissappointed:

try their 'Lollo Rosso' remix CD, with stuff worked over by Cornelius, Mouse On Mars, etc. I promise you: totally addictive, even if you didn't like the rest.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SG7
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »

And try the Snowbug album too. Bach Ze and Cookie Bay featuring members of Stereolab is  my fave tracks on there.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »

I don't mind some High Llamas: Gideon Gaye and Beet Corn and Maize in particular. But overall, they got bits and pieces of a certain Beach Boys feel ... just never any songs. 2-chord, lazy vamps ad infinitum.

Overall I don't like bands that are recommended as similar/soundalikes. You'll never out-Beatles the Beatles, out-Beach Boys the Beach Boys, etc. It seems like a guaranteed failure, maybe worth some nearly empty enjoyment but not a lot else.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:10:15 AM »

I don't mind some High Llamas: Gideon Gaye and Beet Corn and Maize in particular. But overall, they got bits and pieces of a certain Beach Boys feel ... just never any songs. 2-chord, lazy vamps ad infinitum.

Overall I don't like bands that are recommended as similar/soundalikes. You'll never out-Beatles the Beatles, out-Beach Boys the Beach Boys, etc. It seems like a guaranteed failure, maybe worth some nearly empty enjoyment but not a lot else.

This is very true and it's why I like Animal Collective. They sound like the Beach Boys but at the time they're creating relevant new sounding music so it's the best of both worlds. The High Llamas I do find too pastichey, although I quite like Beet Maize and Corn too.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »

Ive only just got into listening 'Hawaii' based on this and the other High Llamas thread

Sure, its a BB rip off, but when it sounds this good, im not going to complain.

I wish there were more Beach Boy albums that were produced during the 60's after PS/Smile that had this sound. Just my opinion. (nothing beat the real thing)

Current fav song: The Hot Revivalist
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:55:03 PM by tony p » Logged

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »

Just realised this was in the general thread

probably needs to go into the other music thread

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »

I initially liked the Hawaii album but after 4 snippets I was over it. I prefer fully formed songs. Good production though.

The angle I preferred exploring was pop jazz harmony. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:38:51 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 06:41:04 AM »

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but my BB obsession put me onto Randy Newman's Sail Away and I'm totally hooked.

One of my favourite albums.....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:13 AM »

I've bought a bunch of High Llamas albums and, while none are all-time faves or anything, Hawaii is the one I enjoy most. It is very derivative, but that doesn't bug me too much as it does some others. "Literature is Fluff," "Nomads," "Dressing Up the Old Dakota," and "Theatreland" are all fine songs in my book.

Same goes for the Explorers Club and their Freedom Wind album: derivative to the extreme (more of an All Summer Long-Summer Days vibe), but with a handful of songs I really enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:45:01 AM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »

I posted this awhile back:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15328.0.html

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

Ive only just got into listening 'Hawaii' based on this and the other High Llamas thread

Sure, its a BB rip off, but when it sounds this good, im not going to complain.

I wish there were more Beach Boy albums that were produced during the 60's after PS/Smile that had this sound. Just my opinion. (nothing beat the real thing)

Current fav song: The Hot Revivalist

I think they're great. If you like Hawaii so much, the album closest in sound to that one is Cold and Bouncy. That album still has plenty of synths, but it's better integrated into the songs than on Hawaii. After that album The High Llamas dropped so much focus on electronics. Snowbug, Can Cladders, Beet Maize and Corn, and Talahomi Way are all excellent.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:23:30 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 06:13:44 AM »

If in doubt you might consult this double set:

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »

If in doubt you might consult this double set:

That is one excellent set. It was my introduction to the Llamas and I saw no reason to look any further.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »

well "Hawaii" is one of those albums where the first part of the album is great but then after awhile all the songs just sound the same as the first songs and by the end of the album it sounded as if I was listening to the same song over and over again like they found a couple chords, basslines and instruments that sounded like the Beach Boys and reused them over and over,However, There's no doubt (in my mind) that "Leaf and Lime" sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of it.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »

well "Hawaii" is one of those albums where the first part of the album is great but then after awhile all the songs just sound the same as the first songs and by the end of the album it sounded as if I was listening to the same song over and over again like they found a couple chords, basslines and instruments that sounded like the Beach Boys and reused them over and over,However, There's no doubt (in my mind) that "Leaf and Lime" sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of it.

I like Hawaii, I especially enjoy it when I have the ipod on shuffle and a wonderful little musical interlude from Hawaii happens. To put Hawaii into perspective it came out a time in the folklore/opinion/theory around the unreleased SMiLE that Brian was working on a melodic theme which would work as a link between tracks and that link could be repeated throughout the record - the favoured theme at the time was the Bicycle Rider/H&V/Worms riff - O'Hagan took that folklore/opinion/theory and created Hawaii - technology helped  Smiley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

Hi Luther  Rock!

This is my take as well. I've never been able to get into most pastiche for the reasons you describe. Inevitably most of the heavily Beach Boys influenced "new" artists I've heard tend to only scratch the surface. I don't think the comparisons are necessarily their fault, so much as that of the press who generally labels anything with minor seventh chords or multi-part harmonies as "Beach Boys influenced", but if Brian is indeed the primary influence on albums such as Hawaii then that influence is largely superficial.

A friend of mine whose opinion on such matters I largely trust told me once that the thing most ersatz-Beach Boys acts get wrong is the lack of a bass vocalist. Almost nobody does it, and it's such an integral element of their sound!

There are a few records that are explicitly BB-influenced that I think hit the mark, but these are largely from back in the day and fairly obscure. I imagine most hear are well familiar with the Ballroom/Sagittarius/Millennium Curt Boettcher stuff, which certainly seems at least informed by the Beach Boys and Brian's production style, but I'd wager not as many have heard the first album by The Association that Curt also produced. There's a wonderful Pet Sounds homage on that record titled "Message of Our Love" (lyrics courtesy of Tandyn Almer) that features an electronic oscillator and absolutely nails that woozy Pet Sounds vibe.

Another good one is the oft-reissued album by Mark Eric (Malmborg) A Midsummer's Daydream. Again, while it seems like the album's template is exclusively 1965-era Beach Boys, Eric puts his own spin on it with his distinctive vocal style and lyrical tales of a lost surfer boy on the run from himself. It nearly hangs together as a concept album, and the melodies are superb.

There was a one-off single on the Poppy label in 1967 by the awkwardly-named Giant Jellybean Copout, which was actually members of the vocal group The Critters (also great) and a gifted doo wop/ lounge singer named Bob DiLeo-- "Awake in a Dream"/ "Look at the Girls". The b-side in particular is tremendous-- very lush and moody.

These are albums and songs I would say went beyond aping the group and really nailed the actual spirit and je nes se qua. Your mileage may vary of course.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 04:19:24 PM »

The Elephant Six Brian Wilson influence that I'd occasionally heard about eventually led me to this nice track, which I'm fortunate to have.  The last minute or so truly works for me in the same way Beach Boys harmonies do.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx