gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:05:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New article on my part in helping Brian leave Eugene Landy  (Read 8846 times)
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

Peter, this was insightful and fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »

Thank you Emily for the link to the interview with Mark Linett.

Still begs the question why the film makes the character of Kevin Leslie sympathetic and 'likeable'.  There was also the dinner seen when Kevin and his GF leave Brian and Melinda alone.  I thought Kevin would never do that.  Maybe artistic license?
I don't think there was a character in the movie named Kevin; in other words, I don't think the character that you are thinking is meant to be Kevin Leslie is particularly meant to be Kevin Leslie; I think the character is a composite, so we don't know if it was Andy Dean, Kevin Leslie or someone else who was actually being represented at any moment.
My guess is that Melinda and/or Brian had related specific incidents (the restaurant, the studio) that were important to their story and those incidents happened to be ones in which whichever thug was with them eased up a bit. Those are the incidents that got into the movie. I don't think the movie meant it to be a character statement.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:07:34 PM by Emily » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »

Still begs the question why the film makes the character of Kevin Leslie sympathetic and 'likeable'.  There was also the dinner seen when Kevin and his GF leave Brian and Melinda alone.  I thought Kevin would never do that.  Maybe artistic license?
I don't think there was a character in the movie named Kevin; in other words, I don't think the character that you are thinking is meant to be Kevin Leslie is particularly meant to be Kevin Leslie; I think the character is a composite.
My guess is that Melinda and/or Brian had related specific incidents (the restaurant, the studio) that were important to their story and those incidents happened to be ones in which whichever thug was with them eased up a bit. Those are the incidents that got into the movie. I don't think the movie meant it to be a character statement.

I'm sure he's mentioned by name.  I could be wrong though.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »

I don't think there was a character in the movie named Kevin; in other words, I don't think the character that you are thinking is meant to be Kevin Leslie is particularly meant to be Kevin Leslie; I think the character is a composite.

I'm sure he's mentioned by name.  I could be wrong though.
In the credits, that character (the one who brings Melinda to the studio because Brian wants to see her and who has dinner with them and his girlfriend, is called "Doug"
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up! That answers it then.  I think the character was a composite of all the Surf Nazi's then, just like you said.  Cheers.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »

Peter, thanks for posting the story of your work in helping to free Brian from Dr. Landy.

While you mentioned that the only time you encountered Landy was in 1986, he was also (along with Alexandra Morgan, Kevin Leslie, and others in his entourage) at the July 28, 1990 Endless Summer Quarterly Beach Boys convention in San Diego. But like me and just about all the other fans in attendance, you probably went out of your way to avoid Landy, since while he had once been seen as the guy who had saved Brian, by the summer of 1990 Landy was seen by most fans as a miscreant who had completely isolated Brian from his family while exerting total control over all aspects of BWs life, including his creative endeavors. But what most of us didn't know about at that time was Landy's overmedication of his client.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a clip of Brian's "surprise" appearance at the convention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwnJ07cJjY
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »

You are correct.....he was there in San Diego. I had forgotten that episode. When I was writing this piece,I think I was remembering  times when I had occasion to speak to him personally

If it runs amuck, call the duck
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »

Maybe Landy was mentally ill.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »

Mr Reum (Dr Reum?), God bless you for what you did for Brian.

I've been treated for depression from time to time, and the psychologist always referred me to a psychiatrist to get a prescription for sertraline.  Gaines's book said that Landy had a PhD (I don't think it was even in psychology), so I'd always wondered how it was that Landy was prescribing medication for Brian.  From your account it sounds like he was dictating to "a very old psychiatrist."

The first place I saw your name was in the booklet in the World Records box set from 1981.  Good job on that too!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »

Hi MTG  Great to hear from you! If you're the MTG from the Male Ego board it's great to have you here...Hello Mojoman3061,  psychiatrists can write prescriptions for mental health  concerns, although in smaller cities  and rural areas (like here in Montana), prescriptions for mental health concerns are written by family physicians, internal medicine M.D.s, and even nurse practitioners and  physician assistants under an M.D.'s supervision. With respect to Dr. Landy, there are psychiatrists who are attached to a clinical psychologist's practice.This was the case with Dr. Landy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:01:07 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 02:38:54 AM »

As always, a fascinating and highly illuminating writeup, Peter--proving again that you are an incalculable treasure to the world of the Beach Boys and those of us who remain in their thrall. The most wonderful part of your essay is the discovery that the so-called "surf nazis" actually came to realize the wrongful events they had become entwined in, and became agents in the slow, agonizing process of delivering Brian from a man who had crossed the line into evil. This shows us that even "hired goons" have consciences, and I'd like to think that their exposure to the inherent goodness/sweetness in Brian, which radiates so strongly from his person and from his music, is what made them act against their employer when it became clear to them that he was engaged in such treachery.

Amazing stuff--thanks so, so much for sharing with us!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »

Peter, thank you for sharing your story.  I knew that you were involved, but I never knew the extent of your involvement.  You deserve a debt of gratitude for your unwavering loyalty to Brian over the years.

Take care,

Lee
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »

Do you think the symptoms of "tardive dyskenisia" have vanished for Brian or do they linger?

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »

I haven't been around Brian since 2005. The symptoms can be reduced by ceasing the  meds that brought  them on.
Based  on interviews   with  Brian   and Melinda, I have confidence they have been stopped.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »

Peter, thanks for your great work to save Brian.

While on your site I read your very good piece on Adult Child. It reminded me of one of the greatest "what-ifs" in Brian's life: What if Dr. Steve Schwartz hadn't died in a rock-climbing accident?

Do you think Brian was truly on the road to good health working with Dr. Schwartz? And I know Brian had some hospitalizations in that time, but did he ever have a regular therapist between Dr. Schwartz and his second stint? If not, do you know why?
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »

The development of therapeutic trust with someone like Brian is the necessary situation for any therapy to work.  The trust, once established, has  to be carefully maintained. The agenda is based on therapeutic goals and cannot proceed unless both parties are onboard. I do remember Brian being hospitalized during those years. If my memory is correct, these inpatient experiences were psychiatric in nature. Most inpatient care  revolves around stabilization  and  medication review. Some inpatient psychiatric  programs have group  and individual therapy, but most of that is provided in  outpatient services. The first therapist after Dr. Schwartz sadly bore the brunt  of Brian's grief regarding the divorce and Dr. Schwartz 's sudden death.After  placing his trust with  Dr. Schwartz , Brian was wary of doing that again. That is very understandable.  Separation from a trusted professional in what was to Brian his first  risk to trust someone in years, there was genuine grief, and Brian understandably would be dealing with  that grief with a new therapist. It is only human nature to avoid situations that could cause further grief.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Peter!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »

We often muse out loud how it was even possible that Brian made it this far with all the bad times he's been through in life... and the answer is, because he had good friends and family who loved him around him that helped him through those bad times.  Thank you Peter. 
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »

Very well said.

Peter,

Words cannot adequately express the appreciation I feel for your vital role in helping Brian.  Your concern and dedication to Brian's health, as well as your humbleness while being such an important factor in his remarkable improvement is admirable.  You have my utmost respect.

Is there any particular reason why it has been more than 10 years since you have seen Brian?
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »

If any of you have seen the Lucky Old Sun video, that was the most recent time that I have listened to Brian and his incredible band. The  primary reason I haven't seen Brian and band is that my family and I are about 550 miles from the city where his recent  tours have played. I love hearing. Brian and his band  live, but family commitments have to be the first considerations   that we consider. I'd go again if circumstances allowed it, but having retired, my financial income is not what it was. I worked  with Capitol on the Smile box and with  the  wonderful folks who did Love and Mercy on their dvd/blue ray release of that movie. Those projects did not require  travel,which  I don't do  because of family commitments. While I am thinking about it I want to thank Domenic Priore , Tom Recchion, Alan Boyd, and Melinda Wilson for including me in those projects

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx