gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:59:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony
5 - 44 (64.7%)
4 - 18 (26.5%)
3 - 5 (7.4%)
2 - 1 (1.5%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony  (Read 34175 times)
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

^^^^^

hasnt aged well for me either

so much about the BB's history is either left out, or skimmed over

there needs to be a more in-depth doco on the BB's covering all aspects of their history

this one just doesnt cut it

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »

^^^^^

hasnt aged well for me either

so much about the BB's history is either left out, or skimmed over

there needs to be a more in-depth doco on the BB's covering all aspects of their history

this one just doesnt cut it
Yeah, we definately need an in-depth Anthology style documentary on the group.
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »

theres just so much histroy to the BBs story, that its impossible to properly cover it all in a 90 minute doco

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

I think the celebrity interviews are fine.  As I recall-this doc first appeared on VH1 Music TV and it came out in 98 at a time when the BBs were still seen mostly as those old guys in Hawaiian shirts who sang Kokomo.  I think that by having Elvis Costello and Sean Lennon talking about how much they loved the BBs they aided the BBs in recovering some hipster credentials and this has certainly been good for the band.  I think the band has been reevaluated and people who once turned the radio off when they came on having more respect for them now-the documentary played a part in that as did all the reissues that followed. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »

I think the celebrity interviews are fine.  As I recall-this doc first appeared on VH1 Music TV and it came out in 98 at a time when the BBs were still seen mostly as those old guys in Hawaiian shirts who sang Kokomo.  I think that by having Elvis Costello and Sean Lennon talking about how much they loved the BBs they aided the BBs in recovering some hipster credentials and this has certainly been good for the band.  I think the band has been reevaluated and people who once turned the radio off when they came on having more respect for them now-the documentary played a part in that as did all the reissues that followed. 
I disagree. Costello and Lennon just come across as hopeless suck-ups. Has anyone actually listened to any of Sean Lennon's music? Or for that matter, Costello's, since the late 80's?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

I disagree. Costello and Lennon just come across as hopeless suck-ups. Has anyone actually listened to any of Sean Lennon's music? Or for that matter, Costello's, since the late 80's?
I like his album with Bacharach

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »

A great documentary. I just wish there was more. A 4.5 out of 5.

I always felt that it wasn't right that the Beatles have a several-part, several-hour-long Anthology documentary, and the Beach Boys don't.

We seriously need a big like 10 or 12 part documentary on the BBs. In depth. Told in their owns words (like Endless Harmony is, actually) and featuring tons of classic video clips and their music.
Something perfect for a newcomer.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »

Not even mentioning Manson is just daft. Like it or not (presumably not), it was a part of their history and to me it's a real elephant in the room throughout the documentary (albeit an elephant with a Swastika carved into it's head)....
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »

THIS DOCUMENTARY IS FANTASTIC. PERIOD. It's like the Beach Boys' "Beatles Compleat".

It is so blankety-blank good. Smiley
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:03 AM »

Brilliant documentary.
However, a major complaint would be that a lot of their best work from their best era (1966 to 1973) other than Pet Sounds and Smile was overlooked, and rather forgotten. Lucky to even get a brief mention. While their overrated 1961-1965 era got a majority of the attention.
Not to mention skipping over David Marks leaving and Al Jardine rejoining,  and Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar leaving.
Other than all of the above, it is one of the best documentaries about the Beach Boys.
4 out of 5.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »

I gave it a 4. This is one of the last Beach Boy products I've seen in my 14-month Beach Boy immersion spree (which includes books, music, and video).

In light of the recent release of MiC, and the comments mentioned already, the time has really come for a multi-part Beatles-Anthology treatment of the Beach Boys. My proposal

Part One: Origins to 1964 (Family history, birth of the band, Al leaves, David arrives, David leaves, Al returns, Murry-the-tyrant, ends with Brian's first breakdown on the plane to Houston on 12/23/64--ends with band worried about Brian--how will band continue?)

Part Two: 1965 to mid 1967 (Brian quits touring, intro of Glen, then Bruce, wrecking crew (hello Carole Kaye & Hal Blaine!), Today!, Pet Sounds, Smile, breakdown--ends on a downer, Smile is scrapped)

Part Three: mid 1967 to 1973 (Picking up the pieces post-Smile, irrelevance in the U.S. after missing Monterrey, transition from Capitol to Reprise, Jack Rieley and the search for social relevance, Bruce exits, Blondie & Ricky arrive--this part ends on a downturn with focus on poorly attended concerts but kick-ass live music clips showing band is in best form in concert)

Part Four: 1974 to 1988 (Endless Summer brings band back from the dead, Dr. Landy is called in, Brian's Back!, Love You, Adult/Child, Carl tries it solo, so does Mike (ha ha), Dennis is gone, Terry Melcher tries to save the day--success with Kokomo but will it last?)

Part Five: 1988 to present (Brian releases BW88 with Landy's "help", Beach Boys can't "Still Cruise," Mike tries leadership role and Summer in Paradise tanks, Carl is gone, Boys split into three touring groups led by Mike/Al/Brian, Brian gets legally separated from Landy, Boys reunite for 50th)

A 2-hour film is produced for each part with accompanying box set collection. Think of what we could have:

--full Carnegie Hall live set and other jewels from the band's live peak in the 1970s
--Adult/Child, Landlocked, Carl & Mike solo albums given the "Legacy" treatment in separate releases

All in good fun....never happen.

All-in-all so much more *could* have been done in 2012 for the 50th anny--why was there no great promotional effort, a 24-hour a day Beach Boy channel on Sirius/XM, etc?

As the most commercially successful American rock band our boy deserve their own Anthology!

A guy can dream, can't he?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

I gave it a 4. This is one of the last Beach Boy products I've seen in my 14-month Beach Boy immersion spree (which includes books, music, and video).

In light of the recent release of MiC, and the comments mentioned already, the time has really come for a multi-part Beatles-Anthology treatment of the Beach Boys. My proposal

Part One: Origins to 1964 (Family history, birth of the band, Al leaves, David arrives, David leaves, Al returns, Murry-the-tyrant, ends with Brian's first breakdown on the plane to Houston on 12/23/64--ends with band worried about Brian--how will band continue?)

Part Two: 1965 to mid 1967 (Brian quits touring, intro of Glen, then Bruce, wrecking crew (hello Carole Kaye & Hal Blaine!), Today!, Pet Sounds, Smile, breakdown--ends on a downer, Smile is scrapped)

Part Three: mid 1967 to 1973 (Picking up the pieces post-Smile, irrelevance in the U.S. after missing Monterrey, transition from Capitol to Reprise, Jack Rieley and the search for social relevance, Bruce exits, Blondie & Ricky arrive--this part ends on a downturn with focus on poorly attended concerts but kick-ass live music clips showing band is in best form in concert)

Part Four: 1974 to 1988 (Endless Summer brings band back from the dead, Dr. Landy is called in, Brian's Back!, Love You, Adult/Child, Carl tries it solo, so does Mike (ha ha), Dennis is gone, Terry Melcher tries to save the day--success with Kokomo but will it last?)

Part Five: 1988 to present (Brian releases BW88 with Landy's "help", Beach Boys can't "Still Cruise," Mike tries leadership role and Summer in Paradise tanks, Carl is gone, Boys split into three touring groups led by Mike/Al/Brian, Brian gets legally separated from Landy, Boys reunite for 50th)

A 2-hour film is produced for each part with accompanying box set collection. Think of what we could have:

--full Carnegie Hall live set and other jewels from the band's live peak in the 1970s
--Adult/Child, Landlocked, Carl & Mike solo albums given the "Legacy" treatment in separate releases

All in good fun....never happen.

All-in-all so much more *could* have been done in 2012 for the 50th anny--why was there no great promotional effort, a 24-hour a day Beach Boy channel on Sirius/XM, etc?

As the most commercially successful American rock band our boy deserve their own Anthology!

A guy can dream, can't he?
Yeah, a nice dream, giving the Boys the full blown Beatles Anthology treatment.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

Couple of things I found on what I believe to be a press release for this doc -

It states:

TOURING: The Beach Boys have toured consistently for over 30 years. Endless Harmony contains excerpts of some of their best live performances and the last concert with Carl Wilson.

A SPECIAL TRIBUTE: to Carl Wilson who was extremely popular with other artists such as Elton John for whom he sang on Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me and Yellow Brick Road. Jackson Browne and Tom Petty talk about their relationship with Carl.

MARILYN: Brian's ex wife talks about Brian and life with him during his good times and bad....comments about his family.

What happened to these bits?! This would've made the documentary even cooler...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »

I like American Band better {1985 } this is still an excellent video tho .. There is some live video in this where they are playing outside with Blondie + Ricky .No sound tho. Sure would like to see the rest of that.. 5/5
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »

Couple of things I found on what I believe to be a press release for this doc -

It states:

TOURING: The Beach Boys have toured consistently for over 30 years. Endless Harmony contains excerpts of some of their best live performances and the last concert with Carl Wilson.

A SPECIAL TRIBUTE: to Carl Wilson who was extremely popular with other artists such as Elton John for whom he sang on Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me and Yellow Brick Road. Jackson Browne and Tom Petty talk about their relationship with Carl.

Carl sings on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? News to me.
MARILYN: Brian's ex wife talks about Brian and life with him during his good times and bad....comments about his family.

What happened to these bits?! This would've made the documentary even cooler...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »

a great update, but 'American band' stills wins hands down......

perhaps I don't give a crapper what the other interviewee's think about Brian and the band....

I would rather watch 'the band' and 'brian'.....

a wonderful doco still, 4 out of 5.......

more of Brian at the console explaining/listening to his stuff would have been a better inclusion...

kiss a litte bit..... fight a little bit......

etc etc

Rb
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »

a great update, but 'American band' stills wins hands down......

perhaps I don't give a crapper what the other interviewee's think about Brian and the band....

I would rather watch 'the band' and 'brian'.....

a wonderful doco still, 4 out of 5.......

more of Brian at the console explaining/listening to his stuff would have been a better inclusion...

kiss a litte bit..... fight a little bit......

etc etc

Rb
I agree, I find the talking heads in this doc particularly wearying upon repeat viewings.
KDS
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

While Endless Harmony is still the definitive documentary on the history of The Beach Boys, there seems to be a lot left out. 

It's not easy to cover almost 40 years of history, but this documentary does a decent job of it. 

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx