gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:28:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents: Pet Sounds - Live in London
5 - 17 (58.6%)
4 - 10 (34.5%)
3 - 2 (6.9%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents: Pet Sounds - Live in London  (Read 21215 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:19:54 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Brian Wilson Presents: Pet Sounds - Live in London, released October 28, 2003.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:17:14 AM »

Transcendent. Better than the CD. 5.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »

This one is great.  It's a treat seeing Brian perform his best work with his incredible band.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:52:20 AM »

Really great concert(s). The performance of the instrumental "Pet Sounds" was the reason why I finally got this song. But I also have to say that itīs amazing how much better Brian and the band got from here to the SMiLE-DVD.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:07:37 AM »

I'd give this 3.5.  It captures the performance(s) and atmosphere well but the editing together of songs from different nights into one 'show' and the inevitable continuity leaps in terms of clothing etc is disappointing and distracting.  Also, for a DVD of this kind I'd have liked to have extras in terms of non-PS material from the concert(s).

Actually, I wish they'd bring out a DVD of an entire single show, from either of the PS or Smile tours (or both!)

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 11:55:23 AM »

Plus - blows the CD out of the water and clear across town.

Minus - where's the rest of the gig ?

Highpoint (non-musical) - Brian's shirt changing in mid-sentence.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »

Plus - blows the CD out of the water and clear across town.

Minus - where's the rest of the gig ?

Highpoint (non-musical) - Brian's shirt changing in mid-sentence.

yeah, what's up with that! Sounds like all they did was set a better mix of the live CD to video!

And aren't there "performances" on the DVD where one second you see Andy Paley and the next, Mike D'Amico? Could have sworn I saw that...
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:54 AM »

I have to say I do get a bit suspicious of all this jiggery-pokery with the editing.  There's something a bit 'Soviet-era' about it.  My suspicion is that it's all done to present Brian to best effect with no 'vacant' moments.  That's why we don't get even a perfomance of Pet Sounds taken from one night, let alone a complete one night's show.  Which then brings me on to the performance on the Smile DVD.  I was quite disappointed when I heard that we were going to get a specially recorded performance of Smile rather than a recording of an actual show from the tour proper.  However, my negative feelings were pretty much cast aside when I actually saw and heard the thing because it's a stunning performance, better IMO than the actual studio album.  Nevertheless, not once I have ever seen Brian looking so relaxed and happy in a live show as seems to be the case here.  And no tele-prompter either if I'm not mistaken.  But then one can't help thinking - how come he can look like this here but not at a normal show?  Smoke and mirrors...Well, just thinking aloud, I hope there's nothing 'Soviet-era' in people's reaction to what I'm saying!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

My guess would be that the performance on the SMiLE dvd was done when Brian still had some energy. Also it was taped when the CD had just been released so I imagine there was a natural high and excitement for Brian.  However, the thing I noticed on the 2005 shows was he looked tired.  This had to be the hardest he's worked in a long time as far as touring and it looked like he was definitely succumbing to fatigue.

It may be a factor in hs decision to take some time off.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »

I t really just boils down to the natural boredom of preaching to the coverted, year after year, with precious little new material to show off.
Same deal with Elvis. First 3 Vegas seasons, on fire, looking great and singing great. After that, not so much.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »

Another heavily edited performance. Understandable, knowing Brian's unpredictability. Overall, a nice performance, even though I can't stand WIBN with the key change.

The extra doc with the interviews with Brian and the musicians who played on the album is a real treat.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:54:30 AM »

this is good...i think it's funny how it didnt come with the booklet, so you could get one off of his site....i think i got two on accident. this was truly a great concert(s)...but the clothes changing is rather annoying....again, why not more parts of the show?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »

I enjoyed the documentary more than the performances. Smile live dvd is obviously better live performance than PS.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:30 AM »

I absolutely LOVE the drum solo during Pet Sounds. Just awesome...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 05:46:42 AM »

I t really just boils down to the natural boredom of preaching to the coverted, year after year, with precious little new material to show off.
Same deal with Elvis. First 3 Vegas seasons, on fire, looking great and singing great. After that, not so much.

OT but....
The first 3 Elvis seasons are the best but they are probably the best shows I ever heard by anyone.
Though he slowed down a bit, Elvis' other stints in Vegas are under rated. I like the first 71, both in 72, the second 74 (I like the chatty Elvis plus he sings a lot of blues), and all three 75's (request box shows may have been cut short by illness but he is on fire in the video and LP I have of it) I do think the seasons I didn't mention show a bored Elvis but even at his worst he was more comfortable on stage then Brian. Not that I don't like Brian's shows. I think they are great, but he is not a "performer" in the same way
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:48:34 AM by MBE » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »

the more I watch this, I dunno...the less exciting it seems to be. There are some heartful performances...Dont Talk and the intro to it ar ejust lovely...but for the first 3 songs they just seem so bored...as if theyve been playing this music for so long. I wish they could be a bit more enthusiastic while playing this beautiful album live...then again, they're not the beach boys.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »

Does the DVD follow the same performance edit as the CD?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »

I wish they could be a bit more enthusiastic while playing this beautiful album live...then again, they're not the beach boys.

I'm sure the Beach Boys turned in more than their share of uninspired performances of the Pet Sounds material over the years, too. I don't think having the title of Beach Boy somehow makes a person retain some extraordinary inner fire for this material on a nightly basis over day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year of touring.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »

I wish they could be a bit more enthusiastic while playing this beautiful album live...then again, they're not the beach boys.

I'm sure the Beach Boys turned in more than their share of uninspired performances of the Pet Sounds material over the years, too. I don't think having the title of Beach Boy somehow makes a person retain some extraordinary inner fire for this material on a nightly basis over day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year of touring.

Yeh I agree, The Beach Boys weren't always a great live spectacle, though their usually seemed to be something interesting going on. Dennis and his antics or even Carl in 1978 in Australia where he was drunk onstage and of course Mike always kept it atleast interesting with his comments onstage. But yeh overall as performers I think The Beach Boys are better (as in terms of entertainment) but as talent wise Brian's band on stage are much better consistently, certainly because there is more voices in the mix, aswell as more instruments (ie: French horn on God Only Knows) Im not saying that The Beach Boys didnt have brass sections in their live sets at times but that was only ocassionaly, whereas Brians band always have the right instruments for the songs. The only thing I wish regarding Pet Sounds material is that Brians band would use an accordion on Wouldnt It Be Nice, that is what MAKES that song good.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

5/5.. I love this DVD..! Gets lots of play time.. This one + Smile + TLOS DVD"s are runaway favorites for me..
pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

I just ordered this DVD.  Which cover is "correct", the one pictured on this thread or the one with Brian's face?  Just making sure I'm not getting ripped off...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »

I just ordered this DVD.  Which cover is "correct", the one pictured on this thread or the one with Brian's face?  Just making sure I'm not getting ripped off...
Both are legit.

Welcome to the board! Smiley
KDS
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »

Due to the fact that the DVD doesn't include a complete concert, I can't give this a 5.  I went with 4. 

The performance was good once you get past the fact that Brian changes shirts between songs.  Listening to this makes me think that Brian could possibly still sing Wouldn't It Be Nice. 

The bonus documentary helps justify the fact that we get a concert film that's less than an hour long. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx