gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Biography: Brian Wilson - A Beach Boy's Tale
5 - 14 (58.3%)
4 - 8 (33.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (4.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biography: Brian Wilson - A Beach Boy's Tale  (Read 18544 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:14:19 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Biography: Brian Wilson - A Beach Boy's Tale, released in 1999.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

Almost as good as IJWMFTT, but the rare recordings and videos make up for it. 4.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »

I think this is one of the most clear and concise attempts at telling Brian's story. The only shortcoming is a lack of soundbites from Brian himself. Very moving and well done.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 05:42:58 AM »

very good indeed! great songs with mostly good videos....lack of brian involvement does kinda suck...but it was the first vid of brian i bought...so it sold me

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 05:14:08 AM »

Again they mess up the 67-73 era. I mean a lot of that footage of Brian clowning around allegedly from 66-7 is actually stuff shot 68-71. There is also this "Leech" talking about Brian being tinkerbell. Give me a break!!! For all that it does have some really good moments and I am glad they left in Ginger Blake's comments at the end about Brian as he is today.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:36:06 PM by MBE » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »

Does anyone know if this is on DVD?
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »

I enjoyed this and I thought it provided a good overview. It's interesting to recall where things stood in 1999 when it was made. No one, at least no one in this film, seems to have foreseen what Brian might achieve personally and artistically in the next eight years. Especially Ginger Blake who obviously has her own axe to grind. Personally, I liked the Tinkerbell comment.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 06:54:55 AM »

I just watched this today on YouTube and I found it really enjoyable.  Surely one of the better BB/BW docs, even though things arn't always exactly correct and they do still play into the recluse-never did anything with Beach Boys since SMiLE, albeit not as bad as most docs.  Nothing really earth shattering but it gives a very fair portrail Brian's life.  It would be a good, informative watch for non-fans and is probably worth the view from fans for some of the home video footage.
sunflower
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 08:44:13 AM »

I just watched this today on YouTube and I found it really enjoyable. 

Do you have a link? Smiley
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »

I just watched this today on YouTube and I found it really enjoyable. 

Do you have a link? Smiley

part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCDi2OA6kI&feature=related
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »

is this on dvd yet?

I bought it on VHS w/ the PS boxed set on the A&E website years ago

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

Excellent video.. Essential to any BB fan.. There are some clips here that you cant find anywhere else.. 5/5
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »

is this on dvd yet?

Not to my knowledge, and that's a great shame Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »

At the very start of the documentary (after Brian plays God Only Knows on the piano), there's a song a capella in the backdrop and I'm not sure it's a BB's song, but it sure sounds like it... Does anyone know what the song is?

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 04:56:34 PM »

At the very start of the documentary (after Brian plays God Only Knows on the piano), there's a song a capella in the backdrop and I'm not sure it's a BB's song, but it sure sounds like it... Does anyone know what the song is?

If it's the part I think you mean it was originally released as a bonus track on the Pet Sounds CD (called "Unreleased Backgrounds" if memory serves). Also if memory serves it was originally intended to be the background vocals for Don't Talk Put Your Head on my Shoulders but was ultimately unused.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:47 AM »

If it's the part I think you mean it was originally released as a bonus track on the Pet Sounds CD (called "Unreleased Backgrounds" if memory serves). Also if memory serves it was originally intended to be the background vocals for Don't Talk Put Your Head on my Shoulders but was ultimately unused.

YES! Thank you so much, I checked it out on YouTube. I'm obviously a newborn fan and don't own all the cool stuff yet... But I wanted to wait a bit before buying any Pet Sounds special anniversary release just in case something comes up this year. But I guess that's for another thread.

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 10:38:15 PM »

It was a pretty good retelling of the Beach Boys story. Very little input from Brian himself, but there's some pretty good insights provided by people close to him. They featured some video and performance footage that is common now, but back in 1999, it was new to me.
I was disappointed, though, that they pretty much skipped over Brian's 1995 return with IJWMFTT and Orange Crate Art, and skipped ahead to the Imagination period. And unlike others, I found Ginger Blake's comments to be pretty much spot on.
One of the better eps from the Biography channel.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx