gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:05:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson
5 - 7 (30.4%)
4 - 10 (43.5%)
3 - 5 (21.7%)
2 - 1 (4.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson  (Read 17459 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »

Discuss, review and rate An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson, released November 6, 2001.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 09:09:55 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:16:16 AM »

A loving tribute, great fun for all involved. 5.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:05:31 PM »

I waited a long time to get this one.  I wasn't sure I'd like it.  But it's fantastic (after I skip Ricky Martin).  It's filled with great performances and several touching moments.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 01:06:10 PM »

Pretty good show. Usually this time of thing is lame, but this show actually pulls it off. Good performances.

They should have released the whole show, though.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 05:46:09 AM »

i agree with bubba, it's great...but the whole show needed to be on there...espcially the whole pet sounds album missing! when i picked it up to buy, it was disappointing to find out it wasnt on there

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:23:48 AM »

I guess I just didn't like enough of the other artists to really get into it. Billy and Elton's dancing antics were stupid, even though I like Joel more then most of the others. Jan and Dean should have been there, maybe McCartney. Brian does a good job though and his Love and Mercy is great.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:02:26 AM »

I got this today and I enjoy it. I gave it a 4. I think most performances were good though a few were pretty bad I thought such as the version of I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (mainly for the female vocalist - she was terrible) and Vince Gill was good through parts of Surf's Up but sounded pretty awful in my opinion in other parts particularly the high notes. There was also some other poor performances though I skipped them pretty quickly. The standout performance was Paul Simon as he came up with a totally different arrangement yet interesting and quite pretty version of Surfer Girl. I enjoyed Billy Joel's version aswell. I enjoyed watching the interviews with most of the guests. I found it quite funny that the clinching point for Dave Crosbys attendance was In My Room as he absolutely loves that song - Ive always liked Crosby and I like his vocal performance on the both his songs. I thought it was cool that on the bonus track (Do It Again) Carl's son played guitar. I also found it very touching that Brian dedicated his performances to Dennis and Carl. Brian of course is the highlight though I found it quite strange that George Martin seemed to get a louder reception than Brian? That puzzled me a lot. Anyway all round a pretty enjoyable concert for what it is - I mean you cant expect ANY of the songs to be even near to the quality of the originals but it is interesting to hear other interpretations of the songs particularly when performed differently like Paul Simon's version, though sadly there weren't enough different arrangements of the songs for my liking.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:09:08 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »

I would've given it a 5, but Ricky Martin's performance bumped it down to a 4.  Cool

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
sunflower
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 07:43:49 AM »

I think Paul Simons version of Surfer girl is the standout track here. Simply amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

Watched this again last night...was there some post editing done on some of the tracks? Specifically parts of Chyna Phillips's vocals on "You're So Good To Me". As a huge mark for the Go Gos, loved the version of Surf City on there. Ricky Martin was just as terrible as I remember. What really struck me was how much more expressive Brian seemed back then. Best version of Love & Mercy ever.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »

In regards to your question, I do know from what AGD posted awhile back that Crosby messed up "Sloop John B" the first time through and they did another take (and Crosby is quoted in the extras as saying he could do "Sloop" in his sleep...heh) and Aimee Mann and the fellow she sang with had problems had did five takes of IJWMFTT, the fourth of which was used. And REMEMBER that the WHOLE Pet Sounds album was performed, but only some of it was released on the DVD...which pisses me off of course Grin

Elton sounds great on this, I remember, and the sad part is his voice would detiorate soon after. Brian is in great form, he looks scared during some of it but his H+V is just superb, remember this was the first time he ever performed this song live as a solo artist, "Love and Mercy" sounds beautiful, and I'll be damned if he doesn't almost out-do Elton. Billy Joel sounds good I remember, and I quite liked Ann and Nancy Wilson's "Good Vibrations," and Paul Simon's "Surfer Girl," which was superb. And yes, Ricky was horrific.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »

In regards to your question, I do know from what AGD posted awhile back that Crosby messed up "Sloop John B" the first time through and they did another take (and Crosby is quoted in the extras as saying he could do "Sloop" in his sleep...heh) and Aimee Mann and the fellow she sang with had problems had did five takes of IJWMFTT, the fourth of which was used. And REMEMBER that the WHOLE Pet Sounds album was performed, but only some of it was released on the DVD...which pisses me off of course Grin

Elton sounds great on this, I remember, and the sad part is his voice would detiorate soon after. Brian is in great form, he looks scared during some of it but his H+V is just superb, remember this was the first time he ever performed this song live as a solo artist, "Love and Mercy" sounds beautiful, and I'll be damned if he doesn't almost out-do Elton. Billy Joel sounds good I remember, and I quite liked Ann and Nancy Wilson's "Good Vibrations," and Paul Simon's "Surfer Girl," which was superb. And yes, Ricky was horrific.

Yeah, about Aimie Mann and Michael Penn (Her husband) I felt like their performance was shaky and sounded too nervous...and on the tv version, I feel like I remember him messing up the lyrics singing: "finding the pla....people that I won't leave behind." Almost like he was gonna say places....I don't hear it on the dvd version.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »

Is this the one that had the Chili Peppers singing I Get Around? I thought it was a pretty good tribute.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »

Is this the one that had the Chili Peppers singing I Get Around? I thought it was a pretty good tribute.
that's a newer one, I think it was the Musicares tribute

~post of the century~
-Mikie

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »

One thing odd is that the version that was both broadcast and on the DVD shows Vince Gill messing up his "Surf's Up" vocal..."hanahanumsumdalong to..." But I was there at the taping and it was 100% perfect...and an audience tape that later turned up verifies this. I dunno what happened there.

I never heard of Mann & Penn until that night, and my first impression: "Wow, what a couple of d00shbags." They just came across as rude and pissy...

BTW, what ever happened to Evan and Jaron?

Sure wish they would have included when Chazz Palminteri incorrectly introduced Wendy and Carnie to sing "You Still Believe In Me," as "Carnie and Wendy Phillips." He walked off stage as if everything was going fine, and there was an awkward pause, followed by a small, awkward applause before he realized what he did. They all riffed on the mistake, and Carnie said (from memory), "F**k it, who cares?" Wendy: "Good one, sis!" Carnie: "Oh, no, I hope Dad didn't hear that!" Wendy: "I'm sure he's used to it by now."

I really, really wish they would have gotten some crowd reactions for "Heroes And Villains." I can tell you the Mrs. and I nearly required body bags.

And yes, David Crosby did indeed mess up "Sloop John B." When the first chorus came around, he skipped the first line completely, knocking him out of sync with the band, so they had to start over. He explained that he was following the teleprompter, and they were moving it too quickly. He pleaded for them to be careful with it...I seem to remember he said something like, "Come on, guys -- you KNOW who I am! I only have eighteen brain cells left!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:20:01 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »

I think Paul Simons version of Surfer girl is the standout track here. Simply amazing.

Yes! Itīs so amazing! Really brings out the best in Brians song.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »

One thing odd is that the version that was both broadcast and on the DVD shows Vince Gill messing up his "Surf's Up" vocal..."hanahanumsumdalong to..." But I was there at the taping and it was 100% perfect...and an audience tape that later turned up verifies this. I dunno what happened there.

I never heard of Mann & Penn until that night, and my first impression: "Wow, what a couple of d00shbags." They just came across as rude and pissy...

BTW, what ever happened to Evan and Jaron?

Sure wish they would have included when Chazz Palminteri incorrectly introduced Wendy and Carnie to sing "You Still Believe In Me," as "Carnie and Wendy Phillips." He walked off stage as if everything was going fine, and there was an awkward pause, followed by a small, awkward applause before he realized what he did. They all riffed on the mistake, and Carnie said (from memory), "F**k it, who cares?" Wendy: "Good one, sis!" Carnie: "Oh, no, I hope Dad didn't hear that!" Wendy: "I'm sure he's used to it by now."

I really, really wish they would have gotten some crowd reactions for "Heroes And Villains." I can tell you the Mrs. and I nearly required body bags.

And yes, David Crosby did indeed mess up "Sloop John B." When the first chorus came around, he skipped the first line completely, knocking him out of sync with the band, so they had to start over. He explained that he was following the teleprompter, and they were moving it too quickly. He pleaded for them to be careful with it...I seem to remember he said something like, "Come on, guys -- you KNOW who I am! I only have eighteen brain cells left!"
That's an awesome story! I wanna hear more. I didnt hear enough about the rest of the show that didn't air to be honest. BTW, how did Micheal Penn and Aimie Mann come off a dooches? Not saying they aren't, I don't really know them, I did enjoy their performance of IJWMFTT.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »

Excellent performances and song choices.. I was impressed by just about everything.. A pleasure to watch. Wish I would have been there..4/5
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx