gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:13:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's production tricks: things over looked in BWPS and many Smile playlists  (Read 31723 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:44 PM »

I just think it's a lame to say "BWPS is better than 66/67 because it's finished"

Who said that?
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »

Personally from all the quotes I've read from the principle participants, my hunch is that Brian collected the songs together into groups that grew into the movements, and also had final say in what to keep and what to trash i.e. He Gives Speeches. He also was responsible for the fantastic segue from Wonderful into Look, he remembered the missing melody to Worms, and he wrote some new melodies such as the verse bit to Child, and the melody to Blue Hawaii. I think the more complex work of sequencing the internal structure of songs, and organising the entire piece to make it flow aesthetically and work conceptually was probably more the work of VDP and Darian, but even then I may be short-changing Brian in this assumption. I think he's far more capable creatively than many people give him credit. My point though, is my hunch of who did what probably works out at a fairly even 3 way split, 33% Darian, 66% Brian/VDP which makes me happy to consider BWPS the composition (not the studio recording) as predominately the work of the original composers (and this is not taking into consideration the original work they did in 66/67 - just the new stuff. Of course this all just my hunch, and utterly worthless as a result, but it means I can put  my copy on the turntable and think Wow! Brian and VDP finished Smile and it sounds great!

I've read the interview where Darian says that Brian told him to junk HGS. But are there any interviews in which Darian, VDP, or Brian himself say that Brian actually composed new music for BWPS?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »

Personally from all the quotes I've read from the principle participants, my hunch is that Brian collected the songs together into groups that grew into the movements, and also had final say in what to keep and what to trash i.e. He Gives Speeches. He also was responsible for the fantastic segue from Wonderful into Look, he remembered the missing melody to Worms, and he wrote some new melodies such as the verse bit to Child, and the melody to Blue Hawaii. I think the more complex work of sequencing the internal structure of songs, and organising the entire piece to make it flow aesthetically and work conceptually was probably more the work of VDP and Darian, but even then I may be short-changing Brian in this assumption. I think he's far more capable creatively than many people give him credit. My point though, is my hunch of who did what probably works out at a fairly even 3 way split, 33% Darian, 66% Brian/VDP which makes me happy to consider BWPS the composition (not the studio recording) as predominately the work of the original composers (and this is not taking into consideration the original work they did in 66/67 - just the new stuff. Of course this all just my hunch, and utterly worthless as a result, but it means I can put  my copy on the turntable and think Wow! Brian and VDP finished Smile and it sounds great!

I've read the interview where Darian says that Brian told him to junk HGS. But are there any interviews in which Darian, VDP, or Brian himself say that Brian actually composed new music for BWPS?

I either read (or it's in the Beautiful Dreamer doc) that Brian would bring the new pieces he'd written and Darian would ask him if it is a new or remembered vintage melody and Brian would just respond that it was inevitable. I might be remembering this incorrectly but I'm sure it was something like that and did suggest that Brian was going off and composing stuff independently for BWPS.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2009, 12:57:37 AM »

I either read (or it's in the Beautiful Dreamer doc) that Brian would bring the new pieces he'd written and Darian would ask him if it is a new or remembered vintage melody and Brian would just respond that it was inevitable. I might be remembering this incorrectly but I'm sure it was something like that and did suggest that Brian was going off and composing stuff independently for BWPS.

Inevitable? That's an odd word for Brian to use. Meaning that whatever he newly composed would
be a natural final evolution or finished version of the music for that section of the album?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx