gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:53:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson presents SMiLE
5 - 47 (74.6%)
4 - 10 (15.9%)
3 - 5 (7.9%)
2 - 1 (1.6%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson presents SMiLE  (Read 35753 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »

Perfect 5.........."we ate sandwhiches..."!!!!!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »

Studio or live...One of the GREATEST musical works of all time...
Wilsonista
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »

Why is everyone so certain that the RFH SMiLE concert would have been soooo much better? Is there more out there than the bit we see on the SMiLE DVD?

Well, tapes ofthe SMiLE shows from that first RFH sre in circulation, and yeah, 2/20/04 is a bit on the rough side.

But,  it was the debut of SMiLE.  That alone should have merited inclusion of the entire performed piece on the DVD.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »

Brian is so on in the interviews for this.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Edited together from 50 takes or not, it's the best "live" footage of solo Brian ever issued. An incredible document.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »

The documentary is great! The extras were pretty good too (especially the Van Dyke Parks/ Brian Wilson interview), though I do wish there was more they could have put on there... there was nothing wrong with the fan video of Heroes and Villains, but putting it on the official DVD release did kind of feel desperate. Nitpicks aside it was awesome.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »

Watched the 'Beautiful Dreamer' doc about Brian & 'Smile' on Youtube and it's really good. Do any UK BB fans know if the BBC ever aired this documentary?, as on the wikipedia page for their 'Imagine' series of documentaries it is listed as showing in 2004. I've only started listening to Brian & the Beach Boys in the past year or two so I would definitely watch it again if they repeated it or if Sky Arts showed it. Maybe they would show it again if BB fans asked them maybe. Also, is there a PAL release for the 2DVD 'Smile' DVDs?, I've looked on Amazon and there's a NTSC release but I could only watch that on the PC. 
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »

Great documentary and cool extras like the interview with Van Dyke. 5 out of 5 for sure!.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »

Possibly the best live footage of Brian Wilson solo, and a superb documentary. Very Impressive!
4.5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:18:48 PM by Mr. Jarhead » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »

Having learned a bit more about Smile since the first time I bought this a year and a half ago, I can say my opinions have changed just like everybody else's bagewufge

First off, it's completely gushy - of course, there's nothing wrong with an affectionate documentary, but a big part of that is admitting its subjects mistakes, and this goes to the point of presenting the drug aspect as a postive part of the story. In fact, the movie spends more time seeping out praise for the man and music (despite the fact that all the examples we are shown are covers, including even the retail promo, which strikes me as odd) than it does delving deep into the events; I learn so much more reading the Smile segment from Catch A Wave than I do from this near-2 hour documentary. Furthermore, it's manipulative; I thought for over a year McCartney indeed was there at the first night, and certain "live" moments (such as the cringey conversation the Wondermints have during rehearsals) are so fake it just feels like exploitation, and makes me wonder how genuine the filmmakers' affection really is. And it's hard to enjoy a dishonest piece of work, so bleh. And I know a lot of people are sick of this sort of thing, but it is off-putting to have the marrying Melinda and re-recording Smile portrayed as the "single act of faith" that made Brian just as good as he used to be.

All that said, the interviews with Brian in the doc and on the extras are gold. "We ate sandwiches." CUT.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »

I gave it a three.

Very moving, powerful stuff. But like AGD said, I'm kinda annoyed by the editing and misinformation. The whole Mike killed SMiLE thing being unfairly played up, for example. Kinda like BWPS itself, I loved it at first but after repeated viewings and digging deeper into the SMiLE story for myself, I'm dissatisfied. I may edit this and add more thoughts at some point. I feel like I should, since I'm such a staunch SMiLE fanatic. But right now, that's really all I have to say.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 05:48:25 AM »

I gave it a three.

Very moving, powerful stuff. But like AGD said, I'm kinda annoyed by the editing and misinformation. The whole Mike killed SMiLE thing being unfairly played up, for example. Kinda like BWPS itself, I loved it at first but after repeated viewings and digging deeper into the SMiLE story for myself, I'm dissatisfied. I may edit this and add more thoughts at some point. I feel like I should, since I'm such a staunch SMiLE fanatic. But right now, that's really all I have to say.
Thread bump.  Relevant to the current debate/discussion. 
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »

Is there anyone else out there who prefers the live version on this DVD to the CD version? Maybe it's because I listened to the live version first, but I like it far better live when they get from Our Prayer to Gee, the tempo is faster as with Heroes and Villains, which gives it extra energy. Barnyard is also faster live, which I think is perfect considering the joyful nature of the song. The one I prefer on the CD version is Surf's Up - I think Brian did better vocals on that one.

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »

Are the instrumental tracks that can be heard thoughout the doc available anywhere?

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

Commenting on the now-year-old stuff about the documentary portion ... I have to agree. It bothered me some even in 2004, and it only has grated on me more. I would have LOVED a full-fledged Smile documentary instead of a fluff PR documentary-like film. It was entertaining, it was decently done, but it wasn't really honest and certainly wasn't thorough. How could it be, without the living (much less the deceased) Beach Boys? I understand why this didn't happen, of course, it's just sad.

Conversely, the live performance? Fantastic. Love it. As Wirestone said (a few years ago now), whether it was edited together from numerous takes or not, it's a great result. I love it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 10:48:38 PM »

I find the documentary very hard to watch. There obviously was an agenda behind this project - the idea that the Beach Boys hated the Smile music, and helped to kill the project. This, despite the fact that the Beach Boys sang on all of this stuff; sang through many, many hours of painstaking vocal sessions, sessions that at times probably taxed their patience and their nervous systems.
For pure listening, the Smile Sessions has supplanted BWPS in my collection. As a live performance, though, Brian's band performing this material is very impressive. I give them an A+.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx