gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:18:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson: On Tour
5 - 6 (24%)
4 - 8 (32%)
3 - 8 (32%)
2 - 3 (12%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: On Tour  (Read 25730 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Brian Wilson: On Tour, released April 1, 2003.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

I gave this a 3, mostly for the interviews. The live performances are nothing overly new.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »

I really enjoy this one.  It gives a good portrait of Brian and his band touring and performing Brian's great music, and retaking the Beach Boys' legacy from the Mike and Bruce tribute band.  It also provides great memories of seeing Brian and his band live in concert this past summer.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »

Missed opportunity - four years in the making and what do we get ? 77 minutes of mostly incomplete live fragments. At the same time, and for the same price, I bought a DVD for a friend that contained a whole 2 1/2 hour concert and an hour of extras... and if Cliff Richard can do that, i'm damn sure Brian can too.

Worrying point - anyone else noticed how much more animated Brian was on stage back then ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:14:53 PM »

No, you're not alone.

I saw the DVD after all of the SMiLE shows and I immediately noticed that too, Andrew.

Maybe Ian's on to something....
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »

Maybe Ian's on to something....

You think?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:58:22 PM »

Nah, we're just humoring you.  Grin

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:05:52 AM »

Cry

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »

What do you think this is, the Smile Shop?  Wink
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 04:08:58 PM »

Nah, we're just humoring you.  Grin

BURN!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 12:50:27 PM »

A nice glimpse into Brian's world. I liked it alot. Great footage of him hanging out with the kids, playing ball. Some good performances, but not enough. Sneaky composite footage trying to pass itself off as Good Vibrations from Bridge School (Neil on organ edited into middle). Lots of Frankenstein performances, heavily edited from many sources. Eh. Overall it's a great DVD, although its been overshadowed by SMILE.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:58:45 AM »

good dvd...good special features (crying for more though). what's with the random cussing from brian? it seems unnessecary..

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »

it seems unnessecary..

How about, SEEMS REALISTIC?

Jason
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »

good dvd...good special features (crying for more though). what's with the random cussing from brian? it seems unnessecary..

You must never have heard SOT Christmas, where Brian called Christmas Day "a fucking piece of sh*t".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »

Or how about when Denny plays that stumbling drum roll! "Don't play fodain' rolls Dennis! This ain't no fodain' big production!".

Jason
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 10:16:59 AM »

Exactly. Brian's one dirty motherfucker.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »

Tell me about it -- you should hear some of his comments on the GV sessions...

Big revelation on the DVD -- his fav Stones track is My Obsession.  I would suspect him of having classic taste except that he attended this session and probably has good memories of it...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »

Yep, he revealed that in WIBN. Super cool.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »

Or rather, Landy revealed that.  Wink

Worrying point - anyone else noticed how much more animated Brian was on stage back then ?
Not all the time; I have a video of his perfomance at the Beacon from I think 2000, and he was....yikes...just off the whole night. Mainly just gently pressing the same keys on the keyboard nonstop, alternating with his left and right hand, like he was making meatballs.  He looked like a zombie out there, and was almost as bad (if not worse) than Farm Aid.

When I saw him in Oct 2004 in Houston, he was much better, despite apparently having a cold (he kept coughing, and even sneezed a few times). Right before he went offstage before intermission, he actually stood up, did a little dance(!), then jogged off stage.

One thing though: I'm actually glad he's seated during performances, because I still have horrible flashbacks of the show he did with Deana Carter, where he kept trying to dance.  Lips Sealed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »

" sneaky composite footage" ? ANOTHER illusion shattered...Sheryl Crow in her HEY LOOK AT ME, NO OVER HERE ! outfit--shoulda chopped THAT out...a complete Sail on Sailor  woulda been nice...And I can't help but wonder if BW, after his liberation from Dr. L, had a mild stroke...It amazes me that the F word can ruffle feathers in 2006...Lenny Bruce would be dissappointed...NOW I'm giving my age away...Wouldn't mind if AGD weighs in on that "sneaky composite footage" idea, it's like finding out Dylan bought Blowin' in th Wind

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 09:08:44 AM »

Yeah, I don’t know what show they pulled that “Brian getting down with the stomp” footage, but from all the “unmolested” sources I’ve seen, he sat motionless at the keyboard for most shows, getting up periodically just to take a little bow.

The Sheryl Crow outfit was her Halloween Costume. That was a good performance and, aside from the looping of Brian’s brief boogie, is the only pure, live, unedited performance footage on the disc.

On Brian’s most recent tour he had loosened up quite a bit. He was playful, in control, and even did some fancy steppin’ when he strapped on the bass.

He’s come a long way.

A DVD of footage from the 2005 tour would be killer. It was probably his peak as a like performer. I’ve never seen him happier or more at peace than at the Jones Beach concert. He also looked great at Saratoga and New Jersey. …then had a bit of a relapse in CT. Not sure why. Bad day, I reckon.
MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 04:26:21 AM »

Brian was great as was the band. I think we all know that some of the other people around Brian are "Leeches" and I hated seeing them.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 01:38:54 PM »

Brian was great as was the band. I think we all know that some of the other people around Brian are "Leeches" and I hated seeing them.

Like who?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 01:12:48 AM »

Awwwwww... go on, take a wild guess.  Cool

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 01:24:13 AM »

Evil
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 02:24:33 AM by The Peach Boys » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx