gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:55:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Dennis on Love You & 15 Big ONes  (Read 3100 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=10319

Where do you think Love You stands in relation to 15 Big Ones?

Brian: "Very good. I think it was a step forward, a very big one."

Would you agree that lyrically, it's very removed from contemporary themes?

Brian: "Yes."

Did you feel that you had a lot of things pent up inside you for the past few years, a lot of thoughts you wanted to express?

Brian: "Yes. Uh huh. I had that a lot."

How about 'Roller Skating Child'? What pictures did you have in your mind when you wrote that?

Brian: "Just a vision of someone that could rollerskate and would like to rollerskate. We just wanted to do something that had a beat and had a flavor of rollerskating. Because we all go rollerskating a lot, so we decided to do that in that fashion, in that kind of way.

"We thought it would be a single but it wasn't. We thought it would be."

Dennis: "15 Big Ones? I had a lot of fights over it, because I thought that Brian should be making original music. You really want to know? 15 Big Ones is a piece of sh*t. That's the truth. I didn't enjoy making it, and that's the only one...

"I think Mo Ostin (US Warner Bros biggie) murdered Brian Wilson on that album. Purposely. Upfront. He did not promote that record, and told me he wasn't going to. He said he didn't like it... that's tragic. I felt so bad for Brian.

"We've finished recording the new album [Adult Child, it sounds like]. Maybe we'll add to it. It's good to go back to things. It leans towards Pet Sounds, there are songs about smoking, about being in love, about getting off your butt and being healthy... "

Do you relate that closely to Holland and Surf's Up that the Beach Boys cut without you?

Brian: "No. Really, I can't."

In retrospect, do you feel that 15 Big Ones was a marking time album?

Brian: "I felt it was a very sparkly album. It had a lot of sparkle to it."

Do you enjoy doing interviews?

Brian: "Yes I do. It's one of my favorite things in the world."

If I only I had a subscription to that site...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Ahh the things that kill a beach boys fan's heart...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:06:52 AM »

Thought it was interesting. Brian seemed to be in a bad place that day and Dennis was actually really on. That he didn't like California Saga is interesting. No surprise that he hated 15 Big Ones. Do you think he may have been referring to Love You when he said Mo Ostin killed the album? After all 15 Big Ones was a hit.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:59:21 AM »

It makes me wish Jack Reiley had rejoined the band as their manager at this point. Imagine combining Holland with Love You?

I bet Adult Child would have come out.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

Brian was just as capable of talking shite then as he is now.  Sparkly, indeed.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »

Thought it was interesting. Brian seemed to be in a bad place that day and Dennis was actually really on. That he didn't like California Saga is interesting. No surprise that he hated 15 Big Ones. Do you think he may have been referring to Love You when he said Mo Ostin killed the album? After all 15 Big Ones was a hit.

What in particular didn't he like about the California Saga?
MBE
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

Hit the link in the first post.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

While I agree that Brian was a B.S.er even back then, he has been consistent in his liking 15 Big Ones. Not to turn this thread into a review of 15 Big Ones, but I felt Brian did some nice production and arranging on 15 Big Ones. I hear the "sparkle" in places...   
MBE
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »

In a recent interview (totally contradicting another one), he said he thought Rock and Roll Music missed the mark and that he loved Good Vibrations!
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »

Excellent interview, thank you for posting the link!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »

What in particular didn't he like about the California Saga?

The "scorched meat" part.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »

That's not a line in the parts of the song they did live.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:51:56 PM by MBE » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »

While I agree that Brian was a B.S.er even back then, he has been consistent in his liking 15 Big Ones. Not to turn this thread into a review of 15 Big Ones, but I felt Brian did some nice production and arranging on 15 Big Ones. I hear the "sparkle" in places...   

Indeed. 15BO shines in places. There are a few duffo's, but JOIML and IOK offer the real spirit.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Recently someone on this board made me aware of Dennis' very cool bass vocal on "It's OK". Can anyone decipher what it is he's singing?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »

Recently someone on this board made me aware of Dennis' very cool bass vocal on "It's OK". Can anyone decipher what it is he's singing?

You mean the outro? He's going "Find a ride, find a ride..."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »

Apart from the "Find a ride" tag, Dennis sings a bass vocal underneath Mike's lead and the group's harmonies during the second and third verse and the tag

It sounds like "It's OK, it's alright" ... ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:02:57 PM by GuyO » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »

Apart from the "Find a ride" tag, Dennis sings a bass vocal underneath Mike's lead and the group's harmonies during the second and third verse and the tag

It sounds like "It's OK, it's alright" ... ?
Dennis also sings that bass "yeah" on the chorus of Its OK...as in, gotta go to it "yeah".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx