gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681014 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:17:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 13089 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »

Yes it did. I have a Korean pressing that is actually very good. They go for around $75. The music does sound a little less sterile, but of course there is only so much you can do with bad recordings.

So how long until we get the carefully remastered deluxe 180 gram vinyl reissue of SIP, complete with 100 pages of essays and expanded liner notes?! LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »

I can't see it being reissued in any format, but wouldn't that be a hoot.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »

I think the only way we'll see SIP released in the forseeable future, is if the Beach Boys get a fluke hit single or hit album or comeback or something - kind of like the Endless Summer craze, or even a "Kokomo" - and Capitol Records wants to cash in on it. The logical move would be to package it with Still Cruisin' (which, of course, has "Kokomo" on it) and release it as a specially-priced 2fer.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »

I've been a Beach Boys fan all of my life, but I had never heard SIP until maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I had read about how awful it was, and I didn't think it would live up to the hype (or live down to it, as it were) - when I finally listened to it, it lived up to my expectations of awfulness. Truly abysmal and leagues worse than even a song like "Problem Child."

This entire album, "Summer of Love" in particular, was way ahead of its time in gimmicky, pro tools production; the vocals in "Summer of Love"  sound like most of the sh*t that's on the radio nowadays in any genre, with its auto-tuned, phased vocals and the dopey reverbs all over everything.

SIP and BWPS are the two poles of Pro Tools production. SIP represents the worst, even 20 years later, and BWPS represents one of the best.

- B00ts
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2009, 05:15:13 PM »

Never heard this album, and don't plan to........I really don't plan to.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

I know there's not a lot of love for Summer In Paradise, but I can't understand how fans would want it to be out of print, while seeking out even worse out of print albums like Goin Public and the disco Celebration. It's not nearly as bad as those are.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »

Vocally, the album is one of Carl Wilson's best; that alone makes it worthwhile...

Wild_Honey_In_Stereo, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours, but....I don't understand how serious fans of The Beach Boys, and I would consider you a serious fan (I've followed your posts), don't want to hear EVERY Beach Boys' album. I'm not talking about every alternate take, every stack o' track/stack o' vocals, every stereo or mono version, every new mix/old mix, and all 142 takes of "Good Vibrations". But, every studio album, yeah, I'd expect that. No offense intended. police
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:14:53 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
mtaber
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »

I have heard Going Public and Celebration - maybe I owe SIP an apology... Grin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:39:19 PM by mtaber » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »

The aforementioned are all awful. Does it really matter much whether an album is the 3,973,561st best album ever as opposed to being the 3,973,562nd best ever? That when, after subjecting oneself to repeated, torturous listenings, one can pick out a few things that really don't suck as bad as the rest of it does? It isn't our job as fans to find the less-than-horrendous in the generally horrendous. We can love the great and like the good, but so too can we vomit from and mock the bad.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

Vocally, the album is one of Carl Wilson's best; that alone makes it worthwhile...

Wild_Honey_In_Stereo, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours, but....I don't understand how serious fans of The Beach Boys, and I would consider you a serious fan (I've followed your posts), don't want to hear EVERY Beach Boys' album. I'm not talking about every alternate take, every stack o' track/stack o' vocals, every stereo or mono version, every new mix/old mix, and all 142 takes of "Good Vibrations". But, every studio album, yeah, I'd expect that. No offense intended. police

You really are right. Also the fact that I LOVE  Keepin' The Summer Alive and that's hated by lots of people should make me wanna hear SIP.

But you know what puts me off, the fact that John Stamos is on the album, and it's just one of the two or so albums that I wish didn't exist in the BB discography. The other being stars and strips.

But I expect to purchase it one day  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »

But I expect to purchase it one day  Grin

But now you have another tough decision - whether to purchase the US or UK version.  Smiley

The UK version is clearly superior, but also more expensive at this point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:09:16 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »

I agree that the UK version is superior. Except I prefer the US version of the title song.

If they don't want to pay to repackage the album, they should at least make it available for download, like they did for 'Still Cruisin'.
Jason
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

stars and strips.

Well, that certainly casts a new shadow on these BB album titles.

Carl and the Passions "So Tough"
The Beach Boys Love You
Surf's Up
Pet Sounds
All Summer Long
Surfer Girl
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »

Well, that certainly casts a new shadow on these BB album titles.

I always thought that the Wild Honey album was full of little sexual innuendos and other dirty little jokes. "I'd Love Just Once to See You" is obvious, but I always thought "Wild Honey" had some sly references to 69, fore example. His 'love' is coming down on him and he's eating up her wild honey, and telling his honey to eat it up. But maybe I just have a vivid imagination...
Jason
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

Now that you put it that way, that's a little Hawthorne smut for ya. Summer of Love is still more offensive. Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx