gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:26:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somewhere Near Japan  (Read 5335 times)
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:07 AM »

Like a lot of people here, I think this is the last great BB's song (even if Alan didn't realize what "chinese junk" was actually referring to). :-).

As the followup to "Still Cruisin"" it was issued in the U.S. only as a cassette single (Capitol 4JM-44475) with "Kokomo" as the B-side (again).

There were two promotional issues associated with this release, one a double A-sided vinyl 45 (Capitol 7PRO-79841) and a 1-track CD single (Capitol DPRO-79823).

I know that the vinyl 45 features the 4:10 remix/edit on both sides, a further shortened version of which was also used for the video.  But i need to know which versions are on the other two issues - the promo CD single and the commercial cassingle.  My guess is the cassingle features the full LP version and the CD single has the 4:10 remix/edit, but I'd like to know for sure.  Any help greatly appreciated ('cause the cassingle is virtually impossible to find!).  Thanks!
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »

Hey JeffRetro,

Love SNJ to!  Great song!

I have the promo cd single (no artwork - front or back liner).  I am at work (and the cd isn't) so I can't post more detailed info - but I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that the cd has TWO tracks.  If I recall correctly the two versions are NOT the album version but the remix and an even shorter remix edit.  I'll check and post definitive info when I get home.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »

You're right: two versions on the CD
1. Edit
2. LP version

Watson, did you hear this?
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »

... and the full LP version on the cassette single
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »

Thanks, guys, for all the info.  That was the last info i needed to reconfigure/upgrade/correct my BB's Complete U.S. Singles set. :-)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »

A really good song.  And I intend to put it in a good spot on my summer 09 comp.

Where to put it....where to put it.......where to put it?  Kind of melancholy........I'm leaning to before or after I Can Hear Music...not sure why.....there is a feel to it....
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I just stumbled upon the song's original version by John Phillips and thought it was quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRR9Za258Bw
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I just stumbled upon the song's original version by John Phillips and thought it was quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRR9Za258Bw

Thanks - I have not listened much to the BB version. Actually thought it was an original!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:35 AM »

Depends on your definition of original. The version w john phillips is a demo Smiley

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »

On repeated listening I think this is a nice (if somewhat cutesy) song in its own right.

The lyrical allusions to drugs/getting high are rather obvious, however... Smokin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »

Sorry but this is one of the most awful lyrics ever presented on a Beach Boys album... I was never aware of the drug references, but the whole song premise is like something out of a bad karaoke video.

Music is ok though.

:D
oldsurferdude
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »

Good vocals on this very weak song. Cheesy.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »

I'd never listened to "SNJ" before -- can't say I'm impressed.  The last great BB song?  The last BB song I really like, personally, is "I'm So Lonely."  But the last truly great BB song -- taking into account production and arrangement -- is probably "Baby Blue."  Just my $.02.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »

I've always referred to it as the last halfway decent BB song. Last decent one was probably "Where I Belong" and last classic was... ohhh... "Sail On, Sailor".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

Can I ask; How did it take you 22 years after release to listen to this song? I'm not questioning your taste, but you can't get much more basic a song than I'm So Lonely. SNJ is a more complex song with much better vocals, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »

Can I ask; How did it take you 22 years after release to listen to this song? I'm not questioning your taste, but you can't get much more basic a song than I'm So Lonely. SNJ is a more complex song with much better vocals, as well.

I can't swear that I've heard SNJ either. Not what I'd call one of my favorite releases, or BBs time period; and being the collector I am, odds are I bought it to put it on the shelf for 40 years rather than actually submit my ears to such a lovefest!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

How would you know if you never heard it? Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »

I really love that song. But I have to say i really like the BB version better. I can tell that its the same song, but there is so much more going on musically in the BB. I know Melcher Love and Johnston are also credited. I guess this is a song that Id love to be able see the process of how it was transformed to that demo to the released version.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »

How would you know if you never heard it? Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning.

That's a fair point. I'd answer that, right around 86/87 they really turned me off with some concert performances, and it caused me a bit of trouble, other than the collecting; which swung me more into BW solo territory exclusively for quite a span.So, while it's possible that I heard the song, I have NO recollection of doing so. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:45 AM »

I think both versions are absolutely great in their own way. The "45" version of the BB's version is probably the "worst", and it's still very good.

I also think I'd read somewhere that Bruce had actually done most of the production work on this song and wasn't credited...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:26:42 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »

That's a fair point. I'd answer that, right around 86/87 they really turned me off with some concert performances, and it caused me a bit of trouble, other than the collecting; which swung me more into BW solo territory exclusively for quite a span.So, while it's possible that I heard the song, I have NO recollection of doing so. 

Fascinating..

MBE
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »

The LP version is the best one. John's is OK it sounds kind of like a renaissance tune but I think Mike and Bruce fixed it up quite a bit.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

I've always referred to it as the last halfway decent BB song. Last decent one was probably "Where I Belong" and last classic was... ohhh... "Sail On, Sailor".

Sail on Sailor, really? What about Ding Dang?  What about Shortening Bread?  What about Roller Skating Child!?  I think you may need to get your ears inspected :-)

The weird thing is I can't for the life of me figure out how much of this is sincere and how much is sarcasm...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »

So, while it's possible that I heard the song, I have NO recollection of doing so. 

Wish I could say that about "Summer in paradise"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »

Last "halfway decent" song the group ever did = Lahaina Aloha (imho)

Last real classic... probably Good Timin'
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx