gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:21:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary Double Vinyl Set  (Read 1287 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:47:11 AM »

Dear friends, colleagues, relatives, lovers, priests, truckdrivers, eggheads, alcoholics (hey Luther!), and other BBs obsessives -

how is this double vinyl set? Does it have special merits that warrant purchase? Soundwise? Bookwise? Shapewise?

I need help.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »

Well if you already have the stereo and mono on vinyl it's not really nesicary.  If you don't it's a good way to start. I have heard some better pressings but it's not bad at all. The stereo is vocally closer to the mono then what came out in the nineties on vinyl and CD. One good thing about this set is that it has more notes and info then any other vinyl release. So I do kind of recommend it, but it's not essential. Remember to get the real mono Pet Sounds you have to get a pre 1990 pressing of either the various vinyl LP's or Japanese CD. There is a cough that was cut out of Here Today but it removed some of the echo too.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »

Well if you already have the stereo and mono on vinyl it's not really nesicary.  If you don't it's a good way to start. I have heard some better pressings but it's not bad at all. The stereo is vocally closer to the mono then what came out in the nineties on vinyl and CD. One good thing about this set is that it has more notes and info then any other vinyl release. So I do kind of recommend it, but it's not essential. Remember to get the real mono Pet Sounds you have to get a pre 1990 pressing of either the various vinyl LP's or Japanese CD. There is a cough that was cut out of Here Today but it removed some of the echo too.

Thanks, I know enough! Esp. the qualification about the stereo vinyl in that set... might be precisely what I am looking after!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »

The stereo vinyl seems more folded in because the high end is a little rolled off.  You get a better sense of stereo placement with high frequency information.  I seem to recall Mark Linett telling us here that the same stereo master for the new CD was used to make the LP lacquers.  Rollin goff the high end on vinyl pressings is still common but not universal.

The mono LP is based on that last digital U-Matic copy (1990 or so?) of the mono master we were recently discussing in the Steve Hoffman thread.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx