gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:13:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: interview  (Read 6829 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:13:18 AM »

here

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »

Great interview ! Thanks. Probably one of the most interesting Brian-interviews I know.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:05:17 AM »

Great interview ! Thanks. Probably one of the most interesting Brian-interviews I know.

Yeah... he's really talking this time, isn't he?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »

Yeah, he is. But also the interviewer asks some interesting questions about music. I really love this. No talk about the sandbox, crazy "fire"-sessions or Charles Manson. This is how one should interview Brian...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »

Yeah, he is. But also the interviewer asks some interesting questions about music. I really love this. No talk about the sandbox, crazy "fire"-sessions or Charles Manson. This is how one should interview Brian...

Spot on. If more interviewers could muster the decency of Ken Sharp, we might see much more informative interviews.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »

Good one indeed. Now can you imagine Ding Dang still being his very favorite song on the entire Love You album? Gotta love this guy.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »

Ding Dang is one of his most inspired songs?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »

After it was done I took a certain part of where I was singing and I made a mono tape loop and put my voice on the tape loop. I sent the loop into an echo chamber. I went into the echo chamber and listened to my voice in a circle and walked out of there in another world.

I wish I could've been in that echo chamber.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

This is an amazing interview.. thank you for posting it.  His memory is impeccable.. very 'with it'
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:18:17 PM by variable2 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

That's what surprised me most when I interviewed him, when he's engaged his memory is very good.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

This is an amazing interview.. thank you for posting it.  His memory is impeccable.. very 'with it'

Thank you. I was surprised too. I'd think that when he's totally comfortable, no 'minders' around, and not suspecting someone wanting to 'use' him for his own purposes but honestly interested, he'd be able to come up with a lot of new and fascinating insights.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »

Now, why can't every Brian Wilson interview be this good? There was one thing that really surprised me though:

“Surf’s Up.”
That was written with Van Dyke Parks in 1966 and it was done on drugs. We took speed pills. “Surf’s Up” was probably the worst vocal I ever sang.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 01:09:14 AM »

Now, why can't every Brian Wilson interview be this good? There was one thing that really surprised me though:

“Surf’s Up.”
That was written with Van Dyke Parks in 1966 and it was done on drugs. We took speed pills. “Surf’s Up” was probably the worst vocal I ever sang.

Hmmm... but isn't that a fitting explanation why he did not want it resurrected/reconstructed for the album Surf's Up, later?

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »

Speaking of Smile era vocals he didn't like, hasn't he also said about H&V (the released version, wasn't it?) that he sounds like he's "singing that one taking a s**t"?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »

Yeah, he also says they messed up the singing on the chorus to "California Girls". He was just to hard on himself.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

Yeah, he also says they messed up the singing on the chorus to "California Girls". He was just to hard on himself.

Actually that one is true...you can hear that their singing is slightly behind the beat. 

I've never understood how he can hate his vocal on the Surf's Up demo though.  I've always found that to be one of his best vocal performances.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:42:04 AM »

Actually that one is true...you can hear that their singing is slightly behind the beat. 

I've never understood how he can hate his vocal on the Surf's Up demo though.  I've always found that to be one of his best vocal performances.

actually they are on top of the beat, not behind
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »

Love that he gives shout outs to "How Deep Is Your Love" and "What A Fool Believes", among others.  Makes perfect sense that he would dig those tunes.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

Brian XM Interview

Did anyone hear it?

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=6

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »

they had it today, not sure if its the same one

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »

Well, BW also hates his vocals on Let Him Run... which leads me to think he's not a fan of his higher vocals. Personally I think he's out of his mind (as far as those tunes go!) but can understand not liking one's own voice.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx