gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:39:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City Blues  (Read 1885 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »

I love this song. Strong bluesy verses, and then the choruses in fierce majors. I always try to picture it in another era mentally, for instance, Holland, or even as an eclectic ditty on Sunflower. I'd much rather have that one as Sunflower's closer than It's About Time.

Somehow I think it was written, and/or appeared in the wrong time. Just imaging it on the 1973 concert double LP...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »

Somehow I think it was written, and/or appeared in the wrong time. Just imaging it on the 1973 concert double LP...

well, in a way you're right, regarding the fact that this very song was played during the so called "cocaine-sessions", late 1982.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »

It's a great one, and the demo from 82 is in some ways better for the drama. I like the final record though.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:51:04 AM »

Nice calls. And I did not know it stemmed from 1982. It has the hallmarks of a great latterday (as in: Beach Boys) song, stops and go's, it reminds me of triumphs like 'Marcella', for instance.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »

Never equated it to Marcella but that's actually not a bad comparison. There are so many later Brian songs that I wish had been recorded earlier. Of course his voice is one of the reasons, but also just because how great of a band the Beach Boys were through the early seventies.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »

Personally I like the 1982 version better.  The sound quality isn't great but it's very raw.  It definitely would be great as most songs turned out to be when recorded in the early 70's by the band.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

Love the chorus, as it suits Brian's post-seventies voice so well. If I remember correctly (which I'm not too sure of at this moment) the group considered including this song on BB85. Now imagine THAT one given the Steve Levine treatment, nestling somewhere between A Crack At Your Love and Passing Friend...  Shocked

Edit: ...or was it Oh Lord?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:50:56 AM by phirnis » Logged
MBE
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »

Oh Lord which would have been ruined. Who knows maybe it's better then anything on there using Beach Boys logic.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

The City Blues piano demo is, for me, the highlight of the Cocaine Sessions...it's just got that great piano feel that Brian always has

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx