gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:16:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terry Jacks  (Read 4097 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

I was listeneing to the BB version of Seasons in The Sun today and started wondering why they bought in Terry Jacks to produce themselves. Recorded in late July early August 1970 post Sunflower and just before the Landlocked/Surf's Up recording period. For a band so fiercly independent when it came to producing their own recordings since the early 60s why Jacks and why then? Surely there would have been other better known producers had they wanted outside input - after all Jacks hadn't had any major recording success at that time (a few hits in his native Canada but that was about that)?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »

Maybe they had lost confidence in their own abilities? The whole Terry Jacks affair is just amazing when you think about that Seasons In The Sun could have been the path for the boys instead of Surf's Up... I reckon Seasons would have sounded unfitting and utterly desperate as a Beach Boys single in 1970.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »

Unfitting and utterly desperate, I don't think so.  It made for a very good Beach Boys track and might have meshed well with the times if ti had been released.  The organ in background on the Terry Jacks version has a real good sound .
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »

Um.....he was brought in because he owned the song? It was part of the deal to get the track.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »

The Beach Boys track is so awful that I wonder what went on from negotiations to finishing the recording. Auto-sabotage?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »

Bad producer?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

Brian was increasingly withdrawn and unwilling to "produce" the Beach Boys as he once had - and his last big attempt, Breakaway, was a failure.  The Beach Boys were desperate for a hit and turned to outside producers - Murry, Rick Henn, and Terry Jacks - to try to make something commercial.  This was at a low point for the group in terms of public acceptance/reputation/popularity, before the Carnegie Hall concert, Fillmore East concert and Surf's Up album and Jack Reilly's master plan turned things around.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »

With the unfortunate passings of Dennis and Carl, and some of the Beach Boys-like lyrics of "Seasons In The Sun", it would make it an emotional track on the next Beach Boys' album.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »

Jacks penned some additional lyrics to the song; don't think he owned it. It was of course originally written by Jacques Brel as 'Le Moribond' or 'The Dying Man'.  

The English lyrics were written by folk singer Rod McKuan (sic) and it was covered in the 60's by The Kingston Trio amongst many others. Terry Jacks removed some verses which change the meaning of the song somewhat. Brel addresses the song to the parents and wife of the protagonist and refers to her infidelity. Simply bizarre to think of the BB's recording it.

I guess I've got a way with girls
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »

Terry Jacks' lyrics to the song are so much of a sugar-coated version of The Moribond it's hard to take really, with all of the original song's sharp cynicism so carefully removed in favor of Jacks' immoderate sentimentality. That said, I quite like another song of his, If You Go Away, which was yet another adaptation of a French chanson and turned out a genuinely touching love song.

In terms of The Beach Boys, I'm so glad they didn't release Seasons In The Sun as a single as I think it could have done lots of damage to the group's self-esteem if it would've been more of a success than Break Away and Add Some Music. Also, they might've subsequently moved in a direction even cheesier than the M.I.U. Album...
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »

Beach Boys should have done it like Nirvana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUkFedIw6TU That is the best cover of any song ever!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »

Terry Jacks' lyrics to the song are so much of a sugar-coated version of The Moribond it's hard to take really, with all of the original song's sharp cynicism so carefully removed in favor of Jacks' immoderate sentimentality. That said, I quite like another song of his, If You Go Away, which was yet another adaptation of a French chanson and turned out a genuinely touching love song.

In terms of The Beach Boys, I'm so glad they didn't release Seasons In The Sun as a single as I think it could have done lots of damage to the group's self-esteem if it would've been more of a success than Break Away and Add Some Music. Also, they might've subsequently moved in a direction even cheesier than the M.I.U. Album...
Still, the BBs version contains the "you cheated lots of times but then/I forgave you in the end/Though your lover was my friend" lines which makes it less cheesier than the released Jacks version. I like the Beach Boys version and I don't think it would've been more directional than their earlier hits had been had they released it and had it been a hit. The relative success of "Do It Again" didn't make them go into nostalgic let's-continue-to-sing-about-the-fun-in-the-sun-like-we-did-all-those-four-years-ago mode. At least not until a decade later...

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 02:56:25 PM »

Brian was increasingly withdrawn and unwilling to "produce" the Beach Boys as he once had - and his last big attempt, Breakaway, was a failure.  The Beach Boys were desperate for a hit and turned to outside producers - Murry, Rick Henn, and Terry Jacks - to try to make something commercial.  This was at a low point for the group in terms of public acceptance/reputation/popularity, before the Carnegie Hall concert, Fillmore East concert and Surf's Up album and Jack Reilly's master plan turned things around.
Yes, it was a low point for them in the United States. But in Britain they had enjoyed "Do It Again" topping the charts the year before, 20/20 reached #3 on the album charts and Breakaway was a #6 single.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
MBE
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »

As far as Brian withdrawn Add Some Music was a major production. Besides he was at the session and an article at the time says he was pissed off because Jacks was brought in and he wasn't producing. Jacks confirmed this later. Most of the info on this is in McParlands Recording Sessions book. Should Seasons have come out? No it wasn't a real Beach Boys song stylistically. It really would have hurt them image wise and it wasn't on par with their other late sixties and early seventies work.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »

Man, I'm in one of those ruts where I'm disagreeing with a lot of posts....Time for me to meditate....

I think "Seasons In The Sun" is a great song (it went to No. 1 everywhere), Terry Jacks' lead vocal sounds like a mellow Beach Boy-ish vocal to me (maybe like Carl or Bruce), the lyrics are very suited to the Beach Boys (then and especially now), I kinda like the Beach Boys' version, I don't see how it could have possible hurt their image any further (they were at their nadir then), and, if it was a No. 1 record for Terry Jacks, I think it probably would've at least charted for The Beach Boys. I can easily see it fitting on any of their early 70's albums. So there....  Grin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »

Yes, it was a low point for them in the United States. But in Britain they had enjoyed "Do It Again" topping the charts the year before, 20/20 reached #3 on the album charts and Breakaway was a #6 single.

UK audiences have always been hipper and more sophisticated than US audiences! Smiley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »

Seasons in the Sun was a #1 single for some boyband over here in the UK and I can't hear any version of the song, even the BBs version, without hearing a slick auto-tuned personality-free version over the top of it.

It's ruined for me.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

I don't always agree with Sheriff, but this time I am with him. Seasons in the Sun is lyrically what people would have expected/wanted from the Beach Boys, think about why Do It Again is a hit in '68 and inow this song has summer lyrics in a relaxed early 70s style. Seasons in The Sun as a title by the Beach Boys would have attracted alot of interest which they needed, hell they couldn't go much lower in the US in 69-70. I think the song would have needed some small adjustments bases on what I hear and I don't know how it would have held up over time, but time and place then would have made it a hit.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »

I'm at a loss to understand why the BBs would bring in Terry Jacks to produce. What, Lobo wasn't available? Or Bo Donaldson? R. Dean Taylor? Now, if they'd called up Tommy James, THAT might have been interesting...I wouldn't mind hearing the Beach Boys do 'Crystal Blue Persuasion.'
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 06:30:47 PM »

I think the BBs' version is pretty good, actually.  How can one argue against a strong Carl lead? 

But I'm eternally grateful that it never saw the light of day.  Good version or not...the song is dreadful.  Along the lines of Feelings by Morris Albert or Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. 

Or, dare I say it, Having My Baby by Paul Anka (hi Susan).  Successful songs?  Yes.  Good songs.  Hardly.  I'm just glad I don't have to try to explain 'that one' when people find out I'm a Beach Boys fan.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »

I'm with Greg. The song "Seasons in the Sun" is just plain maudlin, imho.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx