gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:27:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 94557 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys Today!, released March 1965.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:15:28 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »

A wonderful release. Two halves of absolute perfection. "In The Back Of My Mind" is my favorite song of all time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:45:57 PM »

A 5. A much-lauded second half, but the first half is one rock and roll classic after another, great vocals, great arrangements. One of the band's best. Brilliant. A confident, talented Brian Wilson making absolute magic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 04:19:47 AM »

A great album. The second side is simply incredible and in some way the little brother of "Pet Sounds". But we also shouldn´t forget the first side of the record. "Dance Dance Dance" is one of the greatest uptempo-songs ever.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 04:44:00 AM »

5 stars.

Their best release ever.

Kicks anything they, or anyone else would do in the 60's.

This wouldn't be beaten.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:31:43 PM »

This album was not only a great sign of what was to come from Brian but it should've had people shaking in they're boots. It's kind of fasinating to hear the one side Brian still touring and driving himself to the edge and side two is the other Brian who quit touring, started smoking pot and could actually spend more time on songs then usual. What a contrast! The first side is flawless besides that version of Help Me Rhonda. He had the idea going, he just needed to develop on it (and DANN he did!!!!). The second side. I have to say some of the best backing tracks I have ever heard have come from that album. I hold very highly Kiss Me Baby. I love what he's doing in that song because he's bringing out the best in the band the harmony, his production skills and even the non fan can be blown away. The bass on I'm So Young is genius. What really made me want to play this album over and over is She Knows Me Too Well. I use to think the song was sexist and I didn't really pay attention into how good it was until I made a BB ballad mix and put that on it. Brian's falsetto at the end can break your heart. I love the fact he just was so honest about himself in a way in it. That is always the problem you run into with men. A lot of them can't open up about how they really feel about a girl at all. Brian did and the way he sings it is completly undiscribable. I wish they left off Bull Session and put Guess I'm Dumb on it instead.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:37:37 PM »

Great review, except not one of the BB's could have sang dumb with the soul of Glen.
I wish they would have moved When I Grow Up to the top of the 2nd side, put All Dressed Up For School in it's place, ditched Bull Session and waited for the rerecord of Help Me Rhonda.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »

YEAH! What SHE said & then, what HE said! Guess I'm dumb, too.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:40:13 PM »

IMHO, *Today* is Brian's masterpiece album.
artie
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 08:01:38 AM »

This is a 5. Of course, it was a pre-cursor to Pet Sounds. Summer Days was actually a bit of a step backward. Today has very little filler (Bull Session is about it). Kiss Me Baby is one of the greatest songs in the Beach Boys' catalogue.  There is very little to not like about this one.

Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:54:51 AM »

5 stars.

Their best release ever.

Kicks anything they, or anyone else would do in the 60's.

This wouldn't be beaten.

What about the Sherbert Underground?

I really like "Help Me Ronda."  It's like a Smiley version.  He ain't got to flash you to show you the goods.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »

Funny how the albums generally considered the band's best can have boring threads.

"Love it."

"Yep."

"Me too."

"5."

Doesn't anyone hate Today!?  Oh...didn't think so. Me neither.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 03:26:53 PM »

I dislike Ronda greatly. It bores me to tears, and the up-down volume on the ending makes me want to turn off the album completely. How's that?  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »

I dislike Ronda greatly. It bores me to tears, and the up-down volume on the ending makes me want to turn off the album completely. How's that?  Grin

I agree with it, actually. Therefore, terrible.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »

The volume thing is annoying, but I love the harmonica.

And while Guess I'm Dumb would make Today! better, I actually like Bull Session!

Watch out for snakes!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 06:21:22 AM »

Guess I'm Dumb is the best thing Brian Wilson released in 1965. And yes, I get the implication of what that means.  It should not have been a BB number.  It should have been a huge hit as is.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 01:55:31 AM »

'n Sloop John B makes me want to bash my head into a wall...

How something like that can do well, and "Guess I'm Dumb", a fucking masterpiece, fail, is beyond me.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 02:34:22 AM »

Nah, Sloop rules, man.
It's the mind-trip on the album, the place that Bri goes away for a while. You see, he thought it was gonna be a good trip, but it just ended up being the ultimate bummer. That's why his elation is so great when he wakes up and his girl is right there beside him, in God Only Knows.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 03:55:07 AM »

Bri gets in late at night, and plans on staying in his bed 'til late morning... He's had a quiet night of reflection, alone by the ocean... Thoughts of what the future will hold (When I Grow Up), his father, friends, and band members are getting him down (it's kinda sad)...  As he lies in bed, unable to sleep, he thinks back to a time before Marilyn, when he met a girl he was sure was going to be 'the one', but another guy came between them and shattered his plans.  He remembers the one girl that's always been there, as long as he can remember, 'Ronda'... the imaginary girl who meets him in his dreams... who holds him, tells him everything will be alright... His perfect girl, if only he could meet her.  Her walk... makes Brian think of a bouncy acoustic guitar line... a vision, spectacular in its grace.

The ghostly, echoed harmonies in her chorus clutch him tightly to her breast...  Brians breathing becomes shallow... he slowly, ever so slowly removes his pants, as Ronda reaches down and squeezes hard on the bulge on his passion...  Bri erupts with joy... caressing her, riding her... faster... faster... faster...

Suddenly, as Bri slips in and out of consciousness (the sliding volume in the fade) his room begins to shake!  He finds himself naked... alone, Ronda has disappeared.  He dons his dressing gown and rushes down the stairs, on reaching the lounge room he sees the rest of the boys dancing to the latest Fab Four record!

Mike sees Brian, "Hey Bri!  C'mon!  Dance Dance Dance!" (Mike realises this is a good name for a song, and threatens to sue Bri if it's used without his permission)

"You f#(*!," screams Brian! "You interrupted my sex!"

Everyone stops dead, the music dies away.

"Erm... but, Bri...," says Dennis, "You're home alone..."

"Haha!  I love you guys!"  exclaims Bri.

Carl looks down, as the front of Brians dressing gown opens in the breeze,

"Damn, you sure do... thanks Brother!"

Carl, now naked, whips out his acoustic, and composes the riff for "Dance, Dance, Dance"... Mike, also naked, jams some lyrics, and Bri, still naked leaps on the piano and works out some harmonies.

Meanwhile Denny is having sex with Al.

And that my friends, is how the song sequencing on the first side of "Today!" came about.

The end.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 04:29:49 AM »

Cry Beautiful. Your post moved me to tears.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:04 AM »

'ey thanks man,

As I was typing I just knew that it was something special.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

'ey thanks man,

As I was typing I just knew that it was something special.

You can be as sarcastic as you want. I still know the score.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »

Heh, just a bit of fun mate... It started out quite serious, but I realised I couldn't make any connections like you when I reached Dance, Dance, Dance... so just wrote strange sexual fantasies.  No offence.  I liked what you wrote, and wanted to show something similar (which the first paragraph hopefully does)...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 03:35:29 PM by Matinee Idyll » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 04:28:27 PM »

so just wrote strange sexual fantasies.

Oh...well not really that stange.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 07:48:54 PM »

5.  Genius

Yeah, it woulda been pretty cool if Guess I'm Dumb had been on the album.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:52:40 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx