gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 94460 times)
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »

The first side is strong enough by itself, with it's fast paced tracks and soaring Beach Boys harmonies and inventive song writing. However, flip the album and side two takes the album into a whole new dimension. From the sublime "Please Let Me Wonder", right through to the ethereal "In The Back Of My Mind", this album is a five-star album and one which has become even greater since it's stereo re-release, allowing the songs to breathe in a way they had not done in the past.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »

Hate to say it but I'm not a massive fan of the first side. It's alright but I've never been all too fond of stuff like When I Grow Up for some reason.
The second side, however, is sooo good. Perfect bliss!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »

Hate to say it but I'm not a massive fan of the first side. It's alright but I've never been all too fond of stuff like When I Grow Up for some reason.
I'm vice versa, i.e. I'm more into upbeat stuff. Sure, Side 2 is good, but the thing is it's got inferior version of I'm So Young (too saccharine to my taste), one of group's most overrated songs (PLMW), dull slowster (sorry, I've no idea how yet describe the song) aka Kiss Me Baby & the worst skit track (what the Boys talked about there is still beyond me, very nonsensical & uninteresting conversation).

Now, Judd, what is your favorite cut from the 1st side? Maybe Don't Hurt My Little Sister (I mentioned this one because I remembered your unusual fondness of Tears In the Morning)?
I'm with you on Side 1, as I tend to like the faster stuff, too. Though, I disagree about I'm So Young. I love that song and love Brian's arrangement. The bass line is fantastic and so is the updated doo-wop background vocals. Today is my favorite Beach Boys album, so overall I have no complaints.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:02:26 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »

I'm vice versa, i.e. I'm more into upbeat stuff. Sure, Side 2 is good, but the thing is it's got inferior version of I'm So Young (too saccharine to my taste), one of group's most overrated songs (PLMW), dull slowster (sorry, I've no idea how yet describe the song) aka Kiss Me Baby & the worst skit track (what the Boys talked about there is still beyond me, very nonsensical & uninteresting conversation).

Now, Judd, what is your favorite cut from the 1st side? Maybe Don't Hurt My Little Sister (I mentioned this one because I remembered your unusual fondness of Tears In the Morning)?
Is DHMLS a widely despised track too? Because I do like it... Tongue

I'd probably go with Dance Dance Dance. I don't hate Side A or anything but I don't think there are any masterpieces on it (and I always skip Ronda).

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2013, 07:22:20 AM »

I'd probably go with Dance Dance Dance. I don't hate Side A or anything but I don't think there are any masterpieces on it (and I always skip Ronda).
1) Yes, it is. There are maybe only 5-4 people who like DHMLS. You're in the league of "strange" people;

2) Dx3 is rollicking, but Summer Days' v-n is way better. Toss the castanets away from Today's v-n & now we're talking. Ronda, I see why it would switch you off with all its imbalances & so on - I myself don't mind any of this. After all, Ronda features my favorite harmonica! Very clever of Brian to add it in the mix among the other instruments.

I like every track on Today. The songs are varied, but similar in tone. DHMLS has some cheesy lyrics, but when I first heard it I kept it on repeat for a few days. luv

I also love "She Knows Me Too." That repeating "ooooh, she knows me" from the begginning is beautiful. Great guitar solo too.

Aside from the terrible banter track, this an incredibly good BB LP. 5/5

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

1) Yes, it is. There are maybe only 5-4 people who like DHMLS. You're in the league of "strange" people;

Then I'd be happy to be in that league of strange people along with Woodstock and Judd. It's a pretty solid tune, I'd say. I always thought the chorus melody or progression or whatever was a bit off kilter, which is fascinating to me.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
bluesno1fann
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »

What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said? lol
I love "Do You Wanna Dance", it is by far the best version of the song. As much as I love it, it still does not justify being Dennis Wilson's most successful single.
As for the rest of side 1, I don't care for it too much. "Help Me Ronda" was destroyed by Murry Wilson. Lucky they re-recorded it after the album was completed, and it went on to become a classic with the renamed "Rhonda". "Dance, Dance, Dance" is another overrated single which I never got into, as is "When I Grow Up" although that isn't as bad.
Side 2 is much better, and it's not just my opinion. It's pretty much the general consensus. "Please Let Me Wonder" and the highly underrated "In The Back Of My Mind" are some of the best songs of the early Beach Boys. The other songs are great as well, but the two I already mentioned easily top them!
And WHY did they choose to end the album with the obvious filler "Bull Session with the 'Big Daddy'"?! By some distance, the worst track on this album.
4 out of 5.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:00 AM »

My absolute favorite of the pre-smiley smile albums. I dig this even more than Pet Sounds. It tells a great story as a whole if you think it as a concept album. B-side is one of the best things anyone ever did in terms of music. Well there's that Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"... Let's not talk about that one... This version of Help Me, Rhonda is hundred times better than the number one single version. This rocks much harder. Dance, Dance, Dance has grew on me. I hated it first, now I love it. Please Let Me Wonder, Kiss Me, Baby and In the Back of My Mind are up there with the best songs Brian has ever composed. And I love that Dennis' vocals opens and ends the record, it's really cool idea even though it may be just coincidence. Anyway, Today! is one of my personal favorites, it's really touching, funny, rocking and sweet the same time. Not many albums out there can do the same.

Do You Wanna Dance? - 4/5
Good to My Baby - 4/5
Don't Hurt My Little Sister - 4/5
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man) - 4/5
Help Me, Ronda - 4.5/5
Dance, Dance, Dance - 4.5/5
Please Let Me Wonder - 5/5
I'm So Young - 4/5
Kiss Me, Baby - 5/5
She Knows Me Too Well - 4/5
In the Back of My Mind - 5/5
Bull Session with the "Big Daddy" - 3/5

So 5/5.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

5/5 A great lp with a Funky cover.. Not a bad song on the album.. JEEZ it was only 3 yrs ago ftom the release of Surfin.. The progress is STAGGERING.!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »

Great Songs, Great Instrumentation, Great Vocals. Ronda is a bit weird though at the end and there is really no need for Bull Session.
That background color on the cover is ugly as well.

Nevertheless, Classic Album 5/5
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »

I love this album!  this and Sunflower are my favorite BB albums of all time  Grin 5/5

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2014, 05:36:19 AM »

No problem with the "banter track". I've said this before and had to duck a barrage of ripe fruit because of it but I think the idea of ending the album with a non-muslcal track is a stroke of genius. In my view, you can't close an album with "ITBOMM" but you can't follow it with another song either. 

There's not a single track on Today! I don't like. My favourites are the utterly joyous "Dance, Dance, Dance" and "I'm So Young"----both are in my all-time BB top ten. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »

Hate to bring up a dead topic, but I think of my favorite Smiley Smilers when I listen to Beach Boys albums during my long drives.  I currently am on a Today/Summer Days twofer obsession. I think the Today album flows very well, and I think it is one of the greats, but I often find myself skipping to number 6...and then enjoying musical elation from that point on.  As I've matured as a BB fan, I've grown more and more appreciation for this fine pre-Pet Sounds work.

It's certainly awesome to see such a musical transition in just one album.  I love seeing Pet Sounds come into fruition on side B. 

I consider Summer Days to be an album with some greats on it (Let Him Run Wild, You're So Good to Me, Summer Means New Love, Then I Kissed Her) but I also feel it to be an album that purposefully concludes an era for the Beach Boys.  It seems like all remaining songs were thrown onto this album that doesn't have much flow to it.  I think this is the last "singles album" the Beach Boys intended to release for a while.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »

Tell us who your favorite Smiley Smilers are. And then, when you're done, tell us who your least favorites ones are.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »

LOL  Grin
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »

Far and away the best pre-Pet Sounds album. A true masterpiece on-par with anything the over-hyped Beatles ever did.

Not much to say except each track is really good to great, they sound very cohesive and unified together and the album flows spectacularly. You can really feel the Pet Sounds mold being formulated here, and it actually blows my mind that Brian cites Rubber Soul as the catharsis for PS. He basically made PS almost a year before the Beatles did RS...just not quite as musically advanced. But he had an album with all good stuff that fit together here for sure.

It seems this is the first album made after Brian quit touring to focus on songwriting, as well as the first made with the use of cannabis. Good god, does that extra time and creative inspiration show! I love Please Let Me Wonder, She Knows Me Too Well and When I Grow Up especially.

Even the filler track can be seen as a nice cool down "epilogue" after the album proper has ended. It's easy to ignore or skip if you don't like it since it's on the end, unlike the filler track in Summer Days.

5/5, one of the best albums they EVER did. In fact, aside from Pet Sounds it just might be their best completed album.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:34:32 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2015, 03:52:41 AM »

Even the filler track can be seen as a nice cool down "epilogue" after the album proper has ended.
Sir, you have made my day. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »

And now the Beach Boys are starting to break away from being a surf / car band.  Look at the brown cover with the Boys decked out in yellow sweaters.  That doesn't look very "summer" to me. 

Musically, much of this album still sounds like the same band that did Surfer Girl and All Summer Long, but they take a leap lyrically, especially on the ballad heavy side two. 

A great Dennis vocal on a wonderful cover of Do You Wanna Dance opens the album in great fashion. 

When I Grow Up to Be a Man with it's harpsichord and harmonica, Brian starts to use the studio a little more.  Sign of things to come. 

The original version of Help Me Ronda is still pretty good, but not the definitive version.

After the upbeat Dance, Dance, Dance, The Beach Boys show a new level of maturity of the second side. 

Starting with the beautiful Please Let Me Wonder, The Beach Boys tackle new themes beyond teenage love, dancing, surfing, or cars.  I love the interplay between organ and guitar during the instrumental break.

Kiss Me Baby is one of the most gorgeous songs that The Beach Boys ever recorded.  I think it's a crime that both Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby were left off both official C50 live releases. 

The real album closer is In the Back of My Mind. 

Once again, this album is almost perfect.  The third, and luckily final, studio chatter filler track Bull Session with Big Daddy closes the album with a thud.  Still a five star effort.  If not for Bull Session, this would probably be my favorite Beach Boys album.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »

The Beach Boys Today! is my favorite Beach Boys album.  And if I was to be completely honest -- it's not even close.  I love so many of their albums, but this one just puts me in my place.

It doesn't exert itself in any way.  Unlike the mighty Pet Sounds -- it doesn't attempt to bend, reshape, or melt anyone's expectations.  Mujan is right on the money -- it's essentially the same Beach Boys that did All Summer Long, Surfer Girl -- Little Deuce Coupe; all the great, classic Beach Boys stuff.  And yes, the influence of dropping out and "tuning in" (though it's more dropping out than tuning in) is certainly felt.  It's a cool-out, relax and explore album -- but still operating within the gifted formula of the band's great inventions.

And that's its magic.  It doesn't sound any different than what came before it -- though it pulls you in more.  Hurts more.  It's sweeter.  It aches more.  It loves more.  It feels more.  It smiles more.  It's comfortable.  It's totally comfortable in itself.  So comfortable, that it freely invites you to the after party.  There's nothing like a Kosher pickle!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:55:33 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »

Oh man. That timpani in Do You Wana Dance!!

Overal probably my favourite pre-sounds release. SDASN follows it closely.

I've given it a 4 based on a kind of, great but not indispensable feeling.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2015, 03:37:40 AM »

Do You Wanna Dance? - 5/5
Good to My Baby - 5/5
Don't Hurt My Little Sister - 5/5
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man) - 5/5
Help Me, Ronda - 3/5
Dance, Dance, Dance - 4/5
Please Let Me Wonder - 5/5
I'm So Young - 4/5
Kiss Me, Baby - 5/5
She Knows Me Too Well - 5/5
In the Back of My Mind - 5/5

No need to rank Bull Session with the Big Daddy as it's not a song and as it ends the album it can easily be ignored.

The early version of R(h)onda suffers by comparison to the hit version, but other than that Today! is pure gold and easily my favourite of the 'Brian' era.
5/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »

I actually like this version of Ronda; not saying it's better than the hit version, just a different take on the song. In fact, this was the first version I heard on the radio, mid 70's - they probably were playing it off the Endless Summer album. Later, I heard the single version, and expected the fade in/fade out, and when it didn't happen, I was kind of WTF? There's so much talk about side two of Today and those great ballads, but side one is pretty darn good, too. 3 of their biggest hits and an alternate version of another one. I don't even mind Bull Daddy, but hearing them munching on those burgers and fries makes me hungry!
KDS
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:13 AM »

Agreed totally re: Ronda. It's very unusual you heard it 1st before Rhonda. I don't think anyone said the same.

That's probably more common for the long time fans who were lucky enough to be around when these great records were new. 
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2016, 05:43:10 AM »

I heard Help Me, Ronda years before I heard Help Me, Rhonda.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:43:36 AM by Mendota Heights » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2016, 07:40:25 AM »

I heard Help Me, Ronda years before I heard Help Me, Rhonda.
Yeah, I think a lot of people became exposed to Ronda through Endless Summer. For years Capitol always used Ronda on hits packages, instead of the hit Rhonda.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.