gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:47:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 93637 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »

There's hardly a negative thing I can say about this album. Some thoughts:

-Anyone who's ever tried to write a dance song ever can kiss "Dance, Dance, Dance"'s ass. I flail around like a raving lunatic whenever I hear it.
-"Help Me Ronda" as it appears on this album sucks the big one. They really could've done better to put in a studio rendition of "Guess I'm Dumb" in its place.
-Maybe if they'd included both of them, they wouldn't have had to use "Bull Session" as filler. So, so stupid.
-The first three songs sound very similar, but seem to form a sort of evolution upward from song to song, if that makes any sense.
-If they'd never made any albums after this (scary thought, I know), "Kiss Me Baby" would be their greatest production feat.
-"She Knows Me Too Well" is a real lyrical milestone in its portrayal of dysfunctional relationships.
-I like that the lead vocal of "Please Let Me Wonder" isn't doubletracked. They should've done that more often.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2010, 09:01:45 AM »

It's more a 4.5 but I still voted it a five because, lets face it this album feels like pure magic. "Do You Wanna Dance?", "She Knows Me Too Well," "Please Let Me Wonder," pretty much every track on the album hits me in the same spot the Disney films I saw when I was four years old do.

The Bull Session is a pretty awful way to end an album (why did every album from the early to mid 60s absolutely HAVE TO have 12 tracks, no exceptions?) but there's a 20 minute version of it I've heard that's absolutely hilarious. Here you've got the Beach Boys, a band that's seen by most as a pretty inoffensive act, nowhere near badasses like the Stones at any rate, and 1965 still has a lot of that squeaky clean corniness from the 50s as far as I can tell. But golly gee whiz can these guys swear like sailors, theres a whole bit talking about how much kitty Mike gets on the tours (it's the receding hairline,) and some of the jokes they crack even today might raise a few eyebrows. It is awesome. The 2 minute album closer is pretty boring though.

"Dick Reising" was boring?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2010, 09:04:39 AM »

Your senseless violence towards animals shocks me!
Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Kool-Aid Man Cool Guy

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »

5 Points

It's the best pre-Pet Sounds Album, actually everything is already said to this masterpiece. I remember the first time I heard it, it blew me away...
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »

As if All Summer Long hadn't already made some nice progress, Today! is significant step forward for the Beach Boys in terms of production and songwriting.  It's an interesting setup as well with the upbeat rockers largely on end and a delicious ballads found on the other.  A filler track remains but thankfully it's at least at the end so it can be pretty much ignored entirely.  You've got a ton of classics on this album and it stands as one of the best they ever put out.  I'd definitely put it top five if not top three.

Do You Wanna Dance? - 4.5/5
Good to My Baby - 5/5
Don't Hurt My Little Sister - 4.5/5
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man) - 5/5
Help Me, Ronda - 4/5
Dance, Dance, Dance - 5/5
Please Let Me Wonder - 5/5
I'm So Young - 5/5
Kiss Me, Baby - 5/5
She Knows Me Too Well - 5/5
In the Back of My Mind - 4.5/5
Bull Session with the "Big Daddy" - 3/5

Once again, I gave Bull Sessions a three because it's completely inoffensive and doesn't interrupt anything on the album.  in any case, this is an easy 5/5.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »

Mike Love's lines on "Please Let Me Wonder" make me think he should've sung more ballads.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »

A great album that showcases the Beach Boys musical strengths, catchy pop songs along with ballads. This album is a good album to sum up the band's career overall.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »

The first time I heard this album was in 1982, I was in 8th grade.  It really resonated with me then, and it still does now.  In fact, "Bull Session" wasn't on that cassette release.   Evil

My observations:

Do Ya Wanna Dance - Just heard the Bobby Freeman version yesterday for the first time ever in a local hardware store, and I have to say that Dennis' performance and Brian's arrangement blows it out of the water.

I can take or leave DHMLS and GTMB.

When I Grow Up has some fantastic harmonies, especially on the tag.  And that crazy harpsichord!  I just dig it.  I think that Brian's lyrics are starting to foreshadow some of the introspection that we'll see in Pet Sounds.

Ronda just is empty compared to the re-make single version.  And the fade-outs....  :x  Agree with Don Zabu....they should have put "Guess I'm Dumb" in for this one.

The second side of the album, however, has to be some of their finest moments on vinyl.

Dance, Dance, Dance- Brian's line on the chorus just cuts through, making for a sizzling track.  I can't help but roll down the windows and turn the volume up when this one comes on!  Glenn Campbell's guitar riff really makes the track.

I'm So Young - Brian returns to the thought started in "We'll Run Away" from All Summer Long.  It really captures the group at their finest.

Kiss Me, Baby - Easily my favorite pre-Sounds track.  The oboe and french horn lines are just masterfully pulled off.  The stereo version from Endless Harmony really separates things and helps to hear the fantastic arrangement that gets hidden in the mono version.

She Knows Me too Well - Brian really captures his emotions on this cut, baring his soul to us.

In the Back of my Mind - Dennis at his best!  And the string arrangement is fantastic!
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »

"When I Grow Up" was the first song i ever heard by the Beach Boys around 2006 or so. I had JUST gotten into music, and my friend used to listen to this all the time. Before I ever knew about Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Surf's Up or Sunflower, I heard that song. I remember thinking how different it was (i had no clue it was forty years old). It didn't sound like Nickelback, and that was good enough for me. Although Pet Sounds was the first Beach Boys album I ever got, this records songs were the first i heard. So this is pretty special to me. The first side is gold. The second side is diamonds.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:49 AM »

Dance, Dance, Dance- Brian's line on the chorus just cuts through, making for a sizzling track.  I can't help but roll down the windows and turn the volume up when this one comes on!  Glenn Campbell's guitar riff really makes the track.

What makes you think Glen Campbell played the riff? I thought it was Carl.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »

Dance, Dance, Dance- Brian's line on the chorus just cuts through, making for a sizzling track.  I can't help but roll down the windows and turn the volume up when this one comes on!  Glenn Campbell's guitar riff really makes the track.

What makes you think Glen Campbell played the riff? I thought it was Carl.

This is weird since I just came on here now to find out about that after reading the Hawthorne, CA liner notes, it says "Carl Wilson came up with the infectious guitar riff, session guitarist Glen Campbell picked it on his 12-string".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »

I guess I figured Carl played it because he wrote the part and plays on the track and it's not a terribly difficult part. I wonder what the thought process was with session musicians in terms of whether or not to use them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »

I've blown the dust off the the summer days / today twofer in the past couple of weeks, first time I've listened to it for years and years. I can't believe what I have been missing. I'd forgot how good both of these albums are. Today gets a 4 because of bull sessions and ronda, if 'dumb' was on there instead, it would be full marks.

Do you wanna dance just blows me away, especially the final falsetto that's cranked up on the last chorus. I'd have this for a contender for my 'songs that could easily have been singles' list, should I ever make one.

An album that's still good to listen to, today. Hee, do you see what I did there? Nice.

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2012, 04:33:43 AM »

I've blown the dust off the the summer days / today twofer in the past couple of weeks, first time I've listened to it for years and years. I can't believe what I have been missing. I'd forgot how good both of these albums are. Today gets a 4 because of bull sessions and ronda, if 'dumb' was on there instead, it would be full marks.

Do you wanna dance just blows me away, especially the final falsetto that's cranked up on the last chorus. I'd have this for a contender for my 'songs that could easily have been singles' list, should I ever make one.

An album that's still good to listen to, today. Hee, do you see what I did there? Nice.

DYWD was released as a single.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:34:59 AM by Max » Logged
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »

Some timeless gems (When I Grow Up to Be a Man, Help Me Rhonda) coupled with a bunch of good-to-very-good songs. Today! is a very good album. 4/5
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:18:01 AM by clinikillz » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »

Wonderful. Really really perfect and irresistible from beggining to end. My favourite album from our boys besides 'Pet Sounds' and 'SMiLE'; and that says a lot, I think. Side Two is absolutely mind-blowing. Sincere, heart-melting, introspective and just very very beautiful overall. 'Kiss Me Baby' is my favourite song off of it, with 'Please Let Me Wonder' and 'In The Back Of My Mind' tied for a close second place. But the "I love you" part from 'PLMW' 's ending is probably one of my favourite moments here. Sounds great. 5/5.

One question though : the "three more great new songs written by Brian Wilson" are...'In The Back Of My Mind'...uhm....'I'm So Young' and 'Bull Sessions with Big Daddy' ? Undecided
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

Yea, they are definitely incorrect, as I'm So Young is a cover and not a new song by Brian Wilson. I guess they would also be stretching it with Bull Session... too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:55 AM »

Was "I'm So Young" brought to Brian's attention by the Ronettes' version? That's what I imagine, but I'm probably wrong.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

In my top 3 or 4 BB albums, without a doubt. I even love 'Bull Sessions...', if only for when Dennis refers to Dick Rising. Pity they couldn't have made it into a running joke in fact: he could've namechecked Hugh G. Rection on Summer Days, Phillipa Crack on Pet Sounds, I.P. Freely on Smile, etc. Mike Hunt would've been two jokes in one.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

Side two is just beautiful. Please Let Me Wonder (one of my absolute favorites), Kiss Me, Baby (great vocals from Brian and Mike), and So Young (another great Brian lead) are the best tracks here. On the upbeat side Dennis's Do You Wanna Dance is full of energy. Great album, classic tracks, and superb vocals.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

Maybe this album just needs time to grow on me, but as is right now it isn't one of my personal faves. Sounds crazy but I do prefer Summer Days & Summer Nights.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:20:02 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »

I've been listening a lot to this recently, only song I don't really like is the soft version of Help Me Ronda, I'm too used to the other (and superior IMO) version on Summer Days.

That ending, where the volume goes up and down for a solid minute, ruins it for me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:19:58 PM by zatch » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »

I'd give this a strong 4.

At first I couldn't get into this. It just felt so retro and 1950s-ish. This was true especially of the first side, which contains several rock songs with slight, teeny-bopper lyrics (Little Sister, Dance Dance Dance), but even the transcendent second side had the doo-wop throwback"I'm So Young," complete with the malt shop lyrics conventional for that genre.

Anyway, those days are gone and this is certainly one of my favorite Beach Boys records. It's fantastic...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx