gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:11:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 93643 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2007, 07:19:02 AM »

What really made me want to play this album over and over is She Knows Me Too Well. I use to think the song was sexist and I didn't really pay attention into how good it was until I made a BB ballad mix and put that on it. Brian's falsetto at the end can break your heart. I love the fact he just was so honest about himself in a way in it. That is always the problem you run into with men. A lot of them can't open up about how they really feel about a girl at all. Brian did and the way he sings it is completly undiscribable.

A brilliant album. 5 from me. I agree with your comments on "She Knows Me Too Well". A truly brilliant song and Brian's singing is just amazing. The bit at the end, to quote you, "can break your heart". I absolutely love the emotion in Brian's falsetto.

When you say "A lot of them can't open up about how they really feel about a girl at all" I think its pretty different. I mean Brian in interviews etc.. cant really communicate all that well, but when he is able to do so through song he is an absolute master, the BEST of all time in my opinion at communicating emotions and feelings in his music. Different guys just have different ways of communicating their feelings.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2007, 08:49:23 AM »

All of the ballads are incredible to me....I like to put them on when I am...uh...in romantic situations....I'm not a huge fan of the opening trax, except Help Me Rhonda.
thomasogg
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »

5 out of 5. There's a good argument to be had for it being better than 'Sounds'. The second side is just phenominal! 'She Knows Me Too Well' one of my all-time BB favourites! Pity about Bull Sessions, but coming at the end of the record it doesn't really spoil the flow.. Love it!!
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »

I bought this on the recommendation of people on the board. Thanks. I can't add too much to the superlatives already written in this thread, but have a couple of subjective comments.

For some reason I felt like I knew this album already when I listened to it at first. Of course I knew a couple of the songs before, but it contained so much pop DNA, the raw essence of tunes that I'd heard over the years that had spread like pollen into other songs by other people. The depth to these recordings was awesome.

Secondly, it is absolutely rooted in the mid-60s, well before when I was born. I can dream about a reel-to-reel tape player!  But there's nothing in the album that forces disengagement from the here and now. It's psychedelic - it aims to capture a range of perceptions and emotions and melt them into something else. To say "timeless" has become a cliche. But I can say it's aged brilliantly. It doesn't make me think "all the modern stuff is rubbish" - it's too positive for that. 

So, in conclusion, I liked this a lot.
She Dont Know A Thing
Smiley Smile Associate

She don't-she don't-she don't know...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

I don't see why people dismiss Help Me, Rhonda. To me it's another great cut emphasizing Hal Blaine's picture perfect drumming.

"I like I'm So Lonely off of The Beach Boys (85).  Classic smoky voiced fat brian music.  And the sax just seems to fit."-Donald
"Perhaps a pic of a bearded, 300+ pound BW with an unbuttoned shirt chain-smoking and playing piano--drinks lined up atop it--in a dark, seedy San Diego gay bar would have hit the spot. For me it would have, anyway." - Luther
"Al Jardine responds by playing that looping, loopy bass line that promises us that Jardine's insanity will never end - it's as eternal as the ocean's waves."-Dada
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

...Notice Today's general exclusion on "Endless Summer" --though it does have Ronda, IIRC...

That is interesting, isn't it?   It's certainly their least summery/beachy album before Pet Sounds.  Some of my favorite BB tracks are on Today but they really wouldn't fit in with the summer mood of ES.

I always wondered if the LP version of Ronda was put on Endless Summer accidentally.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »

Their second really timeless classic. Love the ballads and most of hte first song, though Do You Want to Dance is probably the stand out weak track for me. I can't get enough of the second side.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »

Side A:  3.5 stars.  Side B:  4.5 stars.

Mike writes some terrific lyrics on side B and sometimes on side A, but the "BB rockers" start to sound a bit stale for me by the time we get to Today.  I'm just not a huge fan of Dance, Dance, Dance or Don't Hurt My Little Sister.

Side B is terrific, but I'm not a huge fan of I'm So Young.

Track picks:  Please Let Me Wonder (+++), When I Grow Up (+++), Help Me Ronda (++), In The Back Of My Mind (+)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »

How could you like When I Grow Up to Be a Man and not Don't Hurt My Little Sister? They're two sides of the same coin, man. In fact, they're the same side of the same coin.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2008, 10:19:55 AM »

How could you like When I Grow Up to Be a Man and not Don't Hurt My Little Sister? They're two sides of the same coin, man. In fact, they're the same side of the same coin.

I guess lyrically, and kind of musically, you're right.  But yet, I don't care for the melody and lyrics of DHMLS as much.  I do like it better than DDD though.  I think I like When I Grow Up so much because it has nostalgic value -- it's a song I heard a lot and enjoyed in my childhood, so it's kind of automatically closer to my heart.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »

BTW, why all the hating for Bull Session?  IMHO it's worth it if not just for the following exchange:

BRIAN:  I haven't made a mistake yet in my whole career.
MIKE:  Brian, we keep waiting for you to make a mistake.

Yikes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »

BTW, why all the hating for Bull Session?  IMHO it's worth it if not just for the following exchange:

BRIAN:  I haven't made a mistake yet in my whole career.
MIKE:  Brian, we keep waiting for you to make a mistake.

Yikes.

Brian should have replied: 'Now, listen, bozo, you'd be still be pumping gas if it weren't for me!'

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »

yeah, Mike was a dink!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »

Their finest Pre "Sounds" Release and a brief preview of what was to come. Genius album!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:12 AM »

Uhhh...

yoyohhh the troll has been removed as are all of his not-so-worthy contributions to the board of the last few hours...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 09:34:27 AM »

The Beach Boy Today hit #6 on the charts and enjoyed a 50 week run. It shows the Beach Boys growing up. Their sound is beginning to change. Brian had to go outside of the Beach Boys in '64 with Don't Worry Baby since Mike did not want to stray from the forumula even a few years before Pet Sounds.

Side one
"Do You Wanna Dance?" (Bobby Freeman) – 2:19
Features Dennis Wilson on lead vocals
"Good to My Baby" – 2:16
Features Brian Wilson and Mike Love on lead vocals
"Don't Hurt My Little Sister" – 2:07
Features Mike Love and Brian Wilson on lead vocals
"When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)" – 2:01
This song is used during the opening credits of the 2009 American comedy-drama Men of a Certain Age
"Help Me, Ronda" – 3:08
Features Al Jardine on lead vocals; this is the original version. Brian Wilson re-recorded a different arrangement of "Ronda," changed the spelling of her name to "Rhonda," and released it as the Beach Boys' next single.
"Dance, Dance, Dance" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love) – 1:59

Side two
"Please Let Me Wonder" – 2:45
"I'm So Young" (William H. Tyrus Jr.) – 2:30
Features Brian Wilson on lead vocals
"Kiss Me, Baby" – 2:35
"She Knows Me Too Well" – 2:27
"In the Back of My Mind" – 2:07
"Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love/Al Jardine) – 2:10
Group interview with Earl Leaf. Marilyn Wilson also appears briefly, but Alan Jardine is absent.

Singles
"When I Grow Up" b/w "She Knows Me Too Well" (Capitol 5245), 17 August 1964 US #9; UK #27
"Dance, Dance, Dance" b/w "The Warmth of the Sun" (from Shut Down Volume 2) (Capitol 5306), 26 October 1964 US #8; UK #24
"Do You Wanna Dance?" b/w "Please Let Me Wonder" (Capitol 5372), 8 February 1965 US #12 ("Please Let Me Wonder" US #52)
"Kiss Me, Baby" featured as the B-side to "Help Me, Rhonda"
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »

An absolute cracker of an album.

The first half of the album is merely good as Don't Hurt my Little Sister and Good to my Baby aren't classics (although the backing track for the latter of these is impressive). Help me Ronda also doesn't do anything for me.

Side two is full of superb ballads though and includes some of the best songs the band ever recorded. Brian and Mike's writing partnership reached an absolute high at this point. Just a shame that it concludes with Bull Session but that doesn't put too much of a dampener on things.

4 1/2 out of 5.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »

I voted a while back but forgot to reply. I gave Today a 5. Tracks 1-4 and 6-11 are great. Ronda is good, but a tad bland, especially compared to Rhonda. I wish they would have put something else in place of the final track, but that is how it goes.

Even with that, it's their second best album to me behind PS and just ahead of Sunflower.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:22 AM »

Bri gets in late at night, and plans on staying in his bed 'til late morning... He's had a quiet night of reflection, alone by the ocean... Thoughts of what the future will hold (When I Grow Up), his father, friends, and band members are getting him down (it's kinda sad)...  As he lies in bed, unable to sleep, he thinks back to a time before Marilyn, when he met a girl he was sure was going to be 'the one', but another guy came between them and shattered his plans.  He remembers the one girl that's always been there, as long as he can remember, 'Ronda'... the imaginary girl who meets him in his dreams... who holds him, tells him everything will be alright... His perfect girl, if only he could meet her.  Her walk... makes Brian think of a bouncy acoustic guitar line... a vision, spectacular in its grace.

The ghostly, echoed harmonies in her chorus clutch him tightly to her breast...  Brians breathing becomes shallow... he slowly, ever so slowly removes his pants, as Ronda reaches down and squeezes hard on the bulge on his passion...  Bri erupts with joy... caressing her, riding her... faster... faster... faster...

Suddenly, as Bri slips in and out of consciousness (the sliding volume in the fade) his room begins to shake!  He finds himself naked... alone, Ronda has disappeared.  He dons his dressing gown and rushes down the stairs, on reaching the lounge room he sees the rest of the boys dancing to the latest Fab Four record!

Mike sees Brian, "Hey Bri!  C'mon!  Dance Dance Dance!" (Mike realises this is a good name for a song, and threatens to sue Bri if it's used without his permission)

"You f#(*!," screams Brian! "You interrupted my sex!"

Everyone stops dead, the music dies away.

"Erm... but, Bri...," says Dennis, "You're home alone..."

"Haha!  I love you guys!"  exclaims Bri.

Carl looks down, as the front of Brians dressing gown opens in the breeze,

"Damn, you sure do... thanks Brother!"

Carl, now naked, whips out his acoustic, and composes the riff for "Dance, Dance, Dance"... Mike, also naked, jams some lyrics, and Bri, still naked leaps on the piano and works out some harmonies.

Meanwhile Denny is having sex with Al.

And that my friends, is how the song sequencing on the first side of "Today!" came about.

The end.
What in God's name did I just read?
And why am I so sexually aroused?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »

I am glad that freak, Mantinee Idyll, doesn't post here anymore.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »

I am glad that freak, Mantinee Idyll, doesn't post here anymore.
I miss him already. Cry
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »

That horn line behind "tossed and I turned my head was so heavy" is killer
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »

The Beach Boy Today hit #6 on the charts and enjoyed a 50 week run. It shows the Beach Boys growing up. Their sound is beginning to change. Brian had to go outside of the Beach Boys in '64 with Don't Worry Baby since Mike did not want to stray from the forumula even a few years before Pet Sounds.

Side one
"Do You Wanna Dance?" (Bobby Freeman) – 2:19
"Good to My Baby" – 2:16
"Don't Hurt My Little Sister" – 2:07
"When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)" – 2:01
This song is used during the opening credits of the 2009 American comedy-drama Men of a Certain Age
"Help Me, Ronda" – 3:08
Features Al Jardine on lead vocals; this is the original version. Brian Wilson re-recorded a different arrangement of "Ronda," changed the spelling of her name to "Rhonda," and released it as the Beach Boys' next single.
"Dance, Dance, Dance" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love) – 1:59

Side two
"Please Let Me Wonder" – 2:45
"I'm So Young" (William H. Tyrus Jr.) – 2:30
"Kiss Me, Baby" – 2:35
"She Knows Me Too Well" – 2:27
"In the Back of My Mind" – 2:07
"Bull Session with the "Big Daddy"" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love/Al Jardine) – 2:10
Group interview with Earl Leaf. Marilyn Wilson also appears briefly, but Alan Jardine is absent.

Singles
"When I Grow Up" b/w "She Knows Me Too Well" (Capitol 5245), 17 August 1964 US #9; UK #27
"Dance, Dance, Dance" b/w "The Warmth of the Sun" (from Shut Down Volume 2) (Capitol 5306), 26 October 1964 US #8; UK #24
"Do You Wanna Dance?" b/w "Please Let Me Wonder" (Capitol 5372), 8 February 1965 US #12 ("Please Let Me Wonder" US #52)
"Kiss Me, Baby" featured as the B-side to "Help Me, Rhonda"

Yes, thank you for the Wikipedia lesson. Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »

Your senseless violence towards animals shocks me!
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

It's more a 4.5 but I still voted it a five because, lets face it this album feels like pure magic. "Do You Wanna Dance?", "She Knows Me Too Well," "Please Let Me Wonder," pretty much every track on the album hits me in the same spot the Disney films I saw when I was four years old do.

The Bull Session is a pretty awful way to end an album (why did every album from the early to mid 60s absolutely HAVE TO have 12 tracks, no exceptions?) but there's a 20 minute version of it I've heard that's absolutely hilarious. Here you've got the Beach Boys, a band that's seen by most as a pretty inoffensive act, nowhere near badasses like the Stones at any rate, and 1965 still has a lot of that squeaky clean corniness from the 50s as far as I can tell. But golly gee whiz can these guys swear like sailors, theres a whole bit talking about how much p*ssy Mike gets on the tours (it's the receding hairline,) and some of the jokes they crack even today might raise a few eyebrows. It is awesome. The 2 minute album closer is pretty boring though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx