gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:52:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 93625 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »

5.  Genius

Yeah, it woulda been pretty cool if Guess I'm Dumb had been on the album.

I like Guess I'm Dumb as is. There has been days when that would be the only song i'd listen to continuously. I love the production on it and the performance from Glenn Campbell is untouchable. I can only imagine how impressed Brian must have been with himself for writing such a absolutely amazing song.

I can't imagine who in the Beach Boys would sing the lead for the song. I suppose Brian would end up taking it, or maybe some combined effort with Carl and himself. Glenn's voice is more thick and rich and it just floats so well over the track.

Does anyone know where one would locate the performance of this song on a T.V show by Mr. Campbell? Very interested to hear if it lived up to the record at all.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 11:36:34 AM »

It would have been cool if they had put it on the album with Glen singing it. Hey, if Jack Rieley can do a lead on a BB album, why not Glen?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

It would've better suited Summer Days if you consider that album to feel less cohesive than Today, which I think runs very smoothly.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »

Have I been spelling Glen(n) wrong?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 12:40:52 PM »

Yes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 03:21:02 PM »

awesome.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »

I can't imagine who in the Beach Boys would sing the lead for the song.

I think Dennis would have been perfect. I still love Glen Campbell's lead though.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »

There's no way Dennis had the range to handle that melody. I agree that in terms of the overall feel, his voice was properly expressive. But those high notes...no way. It would have had to be shared if Dennis was going to be a part of it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »

Carl had the right timbre of voice to pull it off but i'm not 100% sure he had the right kind of delivery for it.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:43 PM »

I'm going to go against the grain on this one and give this a 3.  I don't know what it is, but this album just doesn't do it for me.  I love Dance Dance Dance and most of side 2, but songs like "Don't Hurt My Little Sister"...eh.  I grade all these albums on their musical merit and how the album holds together as a whole.  Today! just doesn't cut the mustard as a whole album, though I give it very high marks musically.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:18:01 AM »

I'm going to go against the grain on this one and give this a 3.  I don't know what it is, but this album just doesn't do it for me.  I love Dance Dance Dance and most of side 2, but songs like "Don't Hurt My Little Sister"...eh.  I grade all these albums on their musical merit and how the album holds together as a whole.  Today! just doesn't cut the mustard as a whole album, though I give it very high marks musically.

It isn't surprising that someone rates an album lower than others, but your reasoning is surprising to me. To rate albums on musical merit and cohesiveness makes sense--great approach. You're right to say that Today! gets high marks musically. But how does it not cut the mustard as a whole album? I assume you mean that the album doesn't fit, sequencing-wise, or that it isn't cohesive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but that's what "how the album holds together as a whole" means to me. Today! is widely regarded as the precursor to Pet Sounds, almost a mini-concept album in its own right. I think it is possibly, outside of Pet Sounds, the band's most consistently strong and cohesive album. Song after song, a series of great, complex rockers first, then sliding into mostly ballads, the end of each seeming meant for the beginning of the next.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »

On Today! with songs like "Good To My Baby" and "She Knows Me Too Well", Brian had John Lennon's style down perfectly. Imagine those two songs performed by the Beatles.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »

But how does it not cut the mustard as a whole album? I assume you mean that the album doesn't fit, sequencing-wise, or that it isn't cohesive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but that's what "how the album holds together as a whole" means to me.

Luther, I agree with everything you said about side 2, and in my original post I mentioned that I mostly loved side 2.  I think the comparisons with Pet Sounds are spot on, no doubt.

The thing with Today! holding together as a whole is this: While Today! has many great songs, I have to knock off points for "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" and "Bull Session With Big Daddy".  Those just seem to have nothing to do with the rest of the album.  I've tried to like these tracks and have tried to understand how they belong on an album like this, but I just can't do it.  Don't Hurt My Little Sister is just...eh....it's not bad musically but it just doesn't work for me. To me it really drags down side 1.  Bull Session With Big Daddy is worthless, IMO.  What a bad way to end side 2.  At least filler like "Cascius Love vs. Sonny Wilson" has singing and sort-of a musical contest thing to it.  I mean, when I'm coming down off one of the better album sides of the 1960s, I don't want it to end by listening to the Beach Boys BSing about a European tour.

I dunno man, to my ears, Today! just doesn't seem up to snuff.  We all have our opinions though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:25:25 PM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 03:26:49 PM »

I think Bull Session... is idiotic. I don't even consider it part of the album, to be honest. But I LOVE "Don't Hurt..." and not in that it "fits" with the other songs on side one...at least not in terms of lyrical content. On a pop album, I don't require any sort of lyrical coherence, or we'd be listening to nothing but Tommys and Joes Garages, and things would get tedious. But musically, I think it absolutely fits in as a relatively complex rocker, interesting chord changes throughout., cool vocals.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »

What's the big hu-bub with the "Bull Sessions" track?

Am I the only one who turns the album off after that final orgasmic flair of strings on "In The Back Of My Mind" ?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »

I think Bull Session... is idiotic. I don't even consider it part of the album, to be honest. But I LOVE "Don't Hurt..." and not in that it "fits" with the other songs on side one...at least not in terms of lyrical content. On a pop album, I don't require any sort of lyrical coherence, or we'd be listening to nothing but Tommys and Joes Garages, and things would get tedious. But musically, I think it absolutely fits in as a relatively complex rocker, interesting chord changes throughout., cool vocals.

Don't Hurt ABSOLUTELY fits in lyrically. It forms part of an autobiographical two-song mini-suite about Brian and Marilyn's relationship. Good To My Baby is Brian's assertion that despite how it may seem to others, he loves her and treats her well. Then, on Don't Hurt, he takes the side of Marilyn's sister Diane Rovell, and assumes a protective role, warning him to treat her well or else. The song was originally meant to be sung from a female perspective, written for the Ronettes. I think the Baby-Sister axis is one of the best and most powerful sequences on an album, just as great as the vaunted ballad suite on the second side, where he revisits the same themes.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »

Fair enough. I wasn't even really thinking about the lyrics, by the way. I was saying that it fits perfectly well regardless of them.

H&V--Obviously I turn it off before Bull Sessions (or skip ahead to SD&SN). I said I don't even consider it part of the album.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »

Exactly. That's why I consider Today! to have no filler material. I don't see it as the bands choice to include that bit and it's also conveniatly at the end of the album. It's not like it's a bum song thrown in, it's just some stuff that someone thought would interest the fan ( that apparently doesn't).

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, if it was included on the album at the time of the release, it's part of the album and has to be judged along with the rest of the album.  Just because it's at the end of the album doesn't exclude it from judgement.  Just my opinion. Smiley

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, if it was included on the album at the time of the release, it's part of the album and has to be judged along with the rest of the album.  Just because it's at the end of the album doesn't exclude it from judgement.  Just my opinion. Smiley

Its position in the sequencing, and obvious intent as an amusing tack-on, lend it to being considered separately. I highly doubt anyone said, "ooh, Brian, let's top if off with that new masterpiece, "Bull Sessions...!" It's allegedly amusing filler at the end of Today!, not a song on Today!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 08:43:09 PM »

I agree, and I think that it was a very intentional and perverse move on Brian's part. I'd rather listen to it than Help Me Ronda, though.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 10:05:35 PM »

What do you think Brian was intending?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »

Playing a practical joke on the listener. Brian is not the ultra-simple fellow he turned into, post-LSD. He knew exactly what he was doing. He knew exactly the effect that putting 5 ultra-serious ballads in a row would have on the listener and he knew exactly what putting the Bronx cheer following it meant. It's a joke, that's all. He even has Denny saying Dick Rising in it, fer Chrissakes!

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2006, 12:38:49 AM »

What I find interesting is that on Today! and Pet Sounds, he put the most hotly debated songs, "Ronda" and "Sloop" slap bang in the middle of the album.

Sortof a 'f*** you' to the listener (or the record company) perhaps?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2006, 02:47:05 AM »

Sloop John B is essential to the flow of Pet Sounds for me.

As i've said before, it's the relief.

He probably had it where it is for that reason too.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx