gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:29:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Today!
5 - 126 (75%)
4 - 31 (18.5%)
3 - 9 (5.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (1.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 156

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today!  (Read 93626 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2016, 12:35:01 AM »

Agreed totally re: Ronda. It's very unusual you heard it 1st before Rhonda. I don't think anyone said the same.

That's probably more common for the long time fans who were lucky enough to be around when these great records were new. 
It wasn't new when I heard it, though - it was 10 years old. Wasn't until I got seriously into the band circa 1981 that I started to learn about all the different versions of songs.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2016, 04:04:51 AM »

Re: Endless Summer

Britisher here. My friend had two Beach Boys compilations - 20 Golden Greats and Endless Summer. For us in the UK, the former of these (with all those great late sixties hits) felt more like a true greatest hits. Because Endless Summer focused so much on the earlier stuff that didn't chart here in the UK, and the inclusion on non-singles like "Catch A Wave" and "Girl Don't Tell Me", it felt more like a random collection of songs. Therefore, I assumed at the time that the inclusion on the non-hit versions of "Ronda" and "Be True To Your School" was intentional and not a c*ck-up. Like, "you've heard those other versions to death, try these ones!"

Please delete my account
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »

Re: Endless Summer

Britisher here. My friend had two Beach Boys compilations - 20 Golden Greats and Endless Summer. For us in the UK, the former of these (with all those great late sixties hits) felt more like a true greatest hits. Because Endless Summer focused so much on the earlier stuff that didn't chart here in the UK, and the inclusion on non-singles like "Catch A Wave" and "Girl Don't Tell Me", it felt more like a random collection of songs. Therefore, I assumed at the time that the inclusion on the non-hit versions of "Ronda" and "Be True To Your School" was intentional and not a c*ck-up. Like, "you've heard those other versions to death, try these ones!"

I can see that, especially if you're a Brit. That album was the go-to album in the 70's; was on the Billboard charts for years; went to #1 in 74, was back in the top 20 summer 75; Spirit of America shot up the charts and right back down comparatively quickly. I'm sure when Capitol put together ES, they had no thoughts about a sequal; fortunately for them, there were a few legit hits to use for SOA.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »

What a great album!

but...

If only Bull Session would have been left off and replaced with a BB version of Guess I'm Dumb or a finished Sandy...
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »

Superb album, and one of the best albums to come out in the 60's. I really like the first side, Dance, Dance, Dance, When I Grow Up to Be a Man, Do You Wanna Dance and even the album version of Help Me Ronda are all classic. Some of the songs I don't care for as much, but they're still really well done. The production was taking a big step forward and it's apparent even with these songs. The second half of the album is absolutely amazing, obviously, and it's hard for me to pick my favorite. She Knows Me Too Well, might be it though, those vocals from Brian, especially on the fade are heartbreakingly beautiful, but then, so is Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby. I'm So Young you could say is a bit on the corny side, but I still love it anyway, and Dennis does well on In the Back of My Mind. If only Bull Sessions was replaced with something else, or Help Me Ronda with the later, better version, this would've been even better. Still hard to complain about anything though.

5/5
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx