gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:31:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Little Girl I Once Knew  (Read 4506 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »

I was listening to this song the other day, and I suddenly realised that there is a section that later turned up in Wouldn't It Be Nice. Has anybody else noticed? Am I the very last Beach Boys fan to have noticed?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:38:24 AM »

Funny. I never realized. Tell me more please.

BTW, coincidence has it that I heard the song in my dreams tonight and thought: what a classic!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »

BTW, coincidence has it that I heard the song in my dreams tonight and thought: what a classic!
It's after the second verse in "Little Girl". It's the "ba ba ba ba ba ba ba-do do doob!" part in "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Man, I wish that Beach Boys vocals were easier to talk about pheonetically.  Roll Eyes

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

It's after the second verse in "Little Girl". It's the "ba ba ba ba ba ba ba-do do doob!" part in "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Man, I wish that Beach Boys vocals were easier to talk about pheonetically.  Roll Eyes

As in the part that (I think) Al sings in WIBN at the end of the bridge, after Brian sings "wouldn't it be nice"?  If that's the part you mean, I don't hear it in "Little Girl" vocally; are you talking about the organ part after the 2nd chorus, right before "la do day"?  That part does have the exact same rhythm, I never thought of it before.

Wow, you're right, these things really are difficult to describe!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »

Doesn't sound the same to me...

Speaking of Little Girl, am I the only who likes the Hawthorne version better? I like the a capella section near the end and Mike's delivery of "Look out babe" sounds coolier.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »

Speaking of Little Girl, am I the only who likes the Hawthorne version better? I like the a capella section near the end and Mike's delivery of "Look out babe" sounds coolier.

I think the organ and sax bit break before the "lah-doo-day" does sound a lot like the sax and accordian bit before the middle eight in Wouldn't It Be Nice.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
SG7
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:52:30 AM »

I ALWAYS prefer the Hawthorne version over what came out. The vocals to me aren't so cut and yes I do agree Mike sounds cooler talking more than Brian on that track!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »

I think the organ and sax bit break before the "lah-doo-day" does sound a lot like the sax and accordian bit before the middle eight in Wouldn't It Be Nice.

Oh! I hear it now.

Interesting.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »

Yes, it's that organ and sax bit right before the "la do day" vocal. It's much faster, but it's basically the same riff.

I LOVE this song! Everything about it is brilliant. In my opinion, it's Brian's pre-Pet Sounds "peak".

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »

I LOVE this song! Everything about it is brilliant. In my opinion, it's Brian's pre-Pet Sounds "peak".

I love the song, too, but I wouldn't say that EVERYTHING about it is "brilliant."  The lyrics are nothing special, IMO.   Musically, though, it's fantastic.  With different lyrics, it could be a Pet Sounds or Smile song.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:19:42 AM »

I know the chords and melody are totally dissimilar, but I always felt like TLGIOK's chorus was a revision of the California Girls one. Like in a formula.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »

I know the chords and melody are totally dissimilar, but I always felt like TLGIOK's chorus was a revision of the California Girls one. Like in a formula.

A formula that should not be f****d with, I'd like to add.

Andy B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »

Yeah, love The Little Girl I Once Knew. To me it almost seemed like a composite of some of Brians best songs to date. It has the same organ sound and rythmn as California Girls, and the same little guitar counterpoints as Let HIm Run Wild.

I guess what i'm waiting for is a real nice stereo version, but is that possible? Is this another track where the the tapes have gone walkabouts?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »

I'd like to add that THE moment that marks the return of the 'new' Brian for me is the joyous intro to TLGIOK. It's on the Roxy set, and was repeatedly used as some kind of 'faux' (pre-recorded?) intro during the European Pet Sounds tour. Unforgettable, those seconds with the authentic surf guitar sound.

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »

H Don,
That Faux (prerecorded) intro to TLGIOK that they used for the early Brian live shows of the late 1990's WAS from the actual recording sessions of the mid 1960's with Brian directing the musicians of a run through of the song.  It made for a nice moment when they used to show a brief film about Brian and then you heard that old vintage snippet of Brian and the wrecking crew recording the song and then the spectacular live version kicked in!

I witnessed a few later Brian shows where he dedicated the first TWO NOTES of TLGIOK to China (the interval of those notes do sound like traditional Chinese music).  That Brian sure has a unique sense of humor...
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »

Yeah, I always thought TLGIOK was Brian's stab at oriental surfing music. Rock music and Chinese music follow the pentatonic scale, after all. The band saw China has a huge untapped market.

"At Macau and Hong Kong
they're shooting the pier,
At Taipei they're walking the nose.
We're going on safari to China this year,
so if you're coming, get ready to go!

(Chorus)
来在婴孩,观望,是, 我采取冲浪与我的您。来在婴孩,观望,是, 我采取冲浪与我的您。让我们走现在冲浪,大家学会,怎么来在与我的一个徒步旅行队!

They're angling in Shanghai and Xiamen,
they're kicking out in Dalian too.
I tell you surfing's running wild,
it's getting bigger every day,
from China to the shores of Taiwan!"
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »

I believe the source of the riff in both songs is the horn break right after the chorus in CHAPEL OF LOVE by the Dixie Cups. JB

Interesting.
etrueholly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

Love the song, but I've always felt the production seemed a bit 'rushed' and there are a few production flaws that just jump out at me and annoy me (especially the intro, where the very first drum beat audible is blaringly late, and the subsequent beats get back into sync).

Sorta reminds me of how the first album Surfin' Safari had a rushed feel to it.

Of course the comparatively gargantuan production of this song is miles ahead of anything on the first album, but there's just a few too many of these similar flaws present on TLGIOK that Brian seemed to have weeded out months later by the time he recorded Pet Sounds.

Don't mean to diss the song or anything, I just wish Brian had done a few more takes to get it more perfect!

-Ben
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

I have an interview from 1981 where Brian talks about wanting to re-record it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »

As much as I love the song, I've never really liked the recording. In fact, I prefer the Live at the Roxy version.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx