-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Anybody listen to AM radio?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anybody listen to AM radio?  (Read 6083 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »

I'm doing a quick survey; still considering starting a low-powered AM radio station, variety based; can't quite "pull the trigger" though....
Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »

I do all the time, not for music, but for mindless sports talk radio.  I love it, "hi, 1st time long time, I'm really angry that we don't sign Manny, Eli's great, I mean he stinks"....   It  just numbs the brain, nothing better.  So if you do and it's in the NY area I'll listen.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »

Thanks for the response, Mike. The "variety" that I was referring to was/is a variety of music. I guess you could call it "oldies", but maybe a little more eclectic. Do you ever listen to ANY music on AM?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »

if there was a station that offered eclectic oldies, i would

but there isnt ;/

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »

When I was growing up my favorite station was an AM oldies channel in Cleveland called WHK. It was a legendary rock and roll channel in the fifties and sixties. Anyhow I like it so much because they would play a lot of fifties stuff and really cool sixties materail. I mean I heard Darlin on there regularly. Great channel until it turned to talk around 1988.

I did a little research and found it was only oldies from 84-88 but I guess they were my most formative years musically
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:10:44 PM by MBE » Logged
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »

Not since the late 70's.  The FM station here plays nothing but oldies, the a.m. station here plays country, which I am not a fan of.

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:54:32 AM »

I started my own listening career via AM, with the AFN channel. They ran a show out of West-Germany then, hosted by Jim Pewter, and it shaped my tastes for life. Early rock and roll, doo-wop, Beach Boys... every Saturday morning was heavenly.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

Here in Portland there was, very very briefly, a great AM station that played the wildest selection of oldies I'd ever heard, and nothing later than '63! This was about five years ago, right before AirAmerica began broadcasting. The station was so great that I actually taped several hours of it late at night. So, I'd say go for it. I did pirate radio for many years and love the freedom of a no-format type station.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »

I listen to AM radio sometimes. There's two pretty good oldies stations near me and the FM oldies station (CBS-FM) stopped being good a few years ago.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »

I listen to AM radio quite a bit in my car, although most of the time it's talk radio.  There is one AM music station in my area that I tune in to occasionally, and they play a big variety of oldies.  They used to play a lot of '40s and '50s pop, and they still play a little of that stuff, but they have added the '60s and '70s into the mix.  It's not unusual to hear Dean Martin followed by the Carpenters followed by Elvis Presley, not unlike the radio programming I remember as a kid growing up in the '60s.  Really, it's the only local music radio that I can stomach these days.  I made my 12 year old daughter listen to a Barbra Sreisand song on there the other day, just so she could hear what vocals without auto-tune sound like.  You can check out their stream at www.1280wnam.com if you'd like to listen to their programming.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »

I do all the time, not for music, but for mindless sports talk radio.  I love it, "hi, 1st time long time, I'm really angry that we don't sign Manny, Eli's great, I mean he stinks"....   It  just numbs the brain, nothing better.  So if you do and it's in the NY area I'll listen.

That's hilarious... I listen to that same stuff... "Hey Mike, is Shockey coming back to the Giants? I heard Cashman is looking to sign Mad Dog, is this true?" WFAN is great. I listen more to 770 WABC. In the Hudson Valley we have 950 on the AM dial that plays nothing but old OLD blues and R&B...timeless. 770 plays oldies on Saturday nights now. When they re-started the oldies show the first song they played was Do It Again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: