-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Blueboard Survival Guide
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blueboard Survival Guide  (Read 13267 times)
Disgruntled_Blue

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Sounds like quite the storm on the blueboard this last week with the topic of AGD's banning.  I'm a HUGE Beach Boys/Brian fan and have been since the early 90's during my teens.  I've also lurked the boards for at least a decade.  I rarely post since I'm not really part of the "clique" anywhere on the boards.  However I've enjoyed reading topics posted by various posters throughout the years. Even as a hardcore fan I've been able to walk away with new knowledge thanks a variety of posters that really know there stuff like AGD, John Stebbins and a few others. 

However, the blueboard lately has really nauseated me lately with an even longer than usual run of sycophant posts that I find disrespectful to the legacy of the Beach Boys. The lack of substance or depth of the topics there has really been a turn-off for me lately.  The board goes through waves of good and bad.  But this one has defintely been on decline for sometime now.  If it weren't for a VERY small handful of posters there that actualy have something worth saying, I really wouldn't be there. 

This board by far is the best I've seen.  I'm guessing other disgruntled blueboarders have ventured over here as well.  But just in case there's actually a masochistic smiley smile'er that wants to venture permanently to the blue board I've created what I humorously call "The Blueboard Survival Guide".  Follow these sure fire methods and you're guaranteed to be loved there in no time at all.  LOL

Blueboard Survival Guide:

1. Brian Wilson= good while other Beach Boys=bad
2. Mike Love is the root of all evil and is to be blamed for everything wrong in this world, including the current American economic meltdown, AIDS, poverty and cruelty to puppies.
3. Mike Love really didn't write lyrics to anything in the Beach Boys catalog.
3. Melinda is really Mother Theresa and all must bow at her presence.
4. Bruce Johnston was never a real Beach Boy.
5. A Brian lookalike was really the guy on the Capitol roof top reunion with the surviving Beach Boys. The real Brian would NEVER sink to that level of being in the same area with those guys.
5. Talk about the most unrelated Brian/Beach Boys topics as humanly possible. This includes posting grandma’s favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe or your recent vacation to the Poconos.
6. TLOS is the greatest accomplishment Brian ever wrote. Pet Sounds and SMiLE are just rubbish and are never to be included in a same sentence mentioning TLOS.
7. Collaborators listed on the credits are just typos.
8. Fishy censorship including mysterious topic deletions and the banning of members is never to be questioned. After all this IS communist China right? Freedom of speech and healthy debate are over-rated anyways.
9. Those who side with the majority and completely pummel those who question things or oppose the majority will receive “legend” status.
10. Discussing historical topics such as recording dates, gear used by the band, studios used, concert dates of the past, unreleased track, etc is just plain nerdy therefore not “cool” enough for posting.
11. Any mention of a Beach Boys reunion is pure blasphemy to Brian and is punishable by a swift tar and feathering by the jocks of the board.
12. Extra bonus points if you reply to sycophant posts with “I totally agree 100%”

carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »

I wished Mr. Admin would take the board and cut it into sections....like this one.. there could be the "ultimate BW fan section", the "BW solo music discussion" section, the "BW and the BB's music discussion" section, the "contest" section, the "BB's without BW discussion" section, the "BB's pre Bruce Johnston" section, the "BB's pre Al" section, and of course a section where everyone can clown around, if it could be allowed, such as the sandbox...grouping everyone and every subject into one board is not a good thing, one has to swim through the other subjects before finding one they wanna talk about.

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »

I'd say your assessment is pretty much spot on...I've always found the discussions here and the old Smile Shop board to be far more interesting, and the format of that board is awful.  I started over there in the infancy of my BB/Brian fandom, but it all got old fast.  The incident with AGD just confirms how screwey the board over there is.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

The Cab board was my favorite, but it broke down down so many times that people seemed to leave in droves.  On top of that, there are a couple of a-s-s-holes who want to be evangelistic about their political views and their constant holier than thou squabbling is off-putting, to put it mildly.  This board is easily the most informative, even if some good posters won't post here, for entirely understandable reasons.

If I was you, I'd get over the blue.  It is what is.  The site would be better without the message board.

Honk! Honk!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

I tried to post there a few times, my username is 'well hello' for some reason  Cheesy

But I never fit in, so many people there are on a fist name basis, it's so strange.

And sorry but the amount of middle aged women who want to run Brian a bath just bothers me  Roll Eyes ughh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Disgruntled_Blue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »

I tried to post there a few times, my username is 'well hello' for some reason  Cheesy

But I never fit in, so many people there are on a fist name basis, it's so strange.

And sorry but the amount of middle aged women who want to run Brian a bath just bothers me  Roll Eyes ughh

As the most rabid blueboarders would say " I agree with you 100%".  It's a small group on a first name basis that will ignore unknown posters.  I never fit in as well since I don't worship every fart that comes out of Brian.

I'm cracking up over the women that want to run him a bath. Very distrubing indeed ain't it?  Everyonce in a while someone will post something about having a dream with Brian in it.  That goes beyond creepy and crosses the line between a fan and a stalker like fanatic.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »

-deleted-
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:38:15 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »

As the most rabid blueboarders would say " I agree with you 100%".  It's a small group on a first name basis that will ignore unknown posters.  I never fit in as well since I don't worship every fart that comes out of Brian.

I'm cracking up over the women that want to run him a bath. Very distrubing indeed ain't it?  Everyonce in a while someone will post something about having a dream with Brian in it.  That goes beyond creepy and crosses the line between a fan and a stalker like fanatic.
Gee thanks for the mental picture..Shocked..now I will end up having a dream about running a bath for Brian through no will of my own...  Ahhh!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:53:11 PM by carlydenise » Logged

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
SG7
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

I have lurked for a long time and have maybe posted a handful of times (more in 2004 and 05 than now) and it was sooo much better then.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

In a lot of ways it isn't any different than this board (or any board). There are a few more cults here than there, that's all.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »

I just posted a message on the blueboard, and I'll say the same thing here: It's just a message board. If you don't like it, don't go there. I've been to other message boards, like the McCartney board, for example. It's very similar to the blueboard in that there is a very broad group of fans, and some of them just enjoy the music and love the man unconditionally. They do talk about "dreams about Paul," and how "rocking" the latest single is. They don't talk about what date Paul played this venue or what amps were used on that obscure song.

Many artists' Web sites are similar, I think. They're marketing tools, and they're very tightly controlled. And they attracts fandom in its most primitive state, and that's fine, I think. The people here are more critical because they approach the band and Brian in a more scholarly way. And that's fine too. It's nice to know a lot of details about dates and facts, but not everyone knows these things or cares to know. When boards start criticizing each other, when it gets to this junior high "my clique is better than theirs," it's just dumb. I don't post there much anymore because I don't get much out of it, but if they do, that's great.

Why do they all know each other on a first-name basis? They don't-- just a small group of them do because they have get-togethers before shows. What's wrong with that?
Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

The blueboard survival guide should have one specification -

DON'T VISIT IT.

Period.

End thread. kthnxbye
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »

End thread. kthnxbye
Didn't we talk about this?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »

Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

This board is a place to have legit , grown-up discussion about Brian Wilson and the rest of the Beach Boys.

That other place, I dunno...it's like comparing filet mignon to a Filet o' Fish...that's been left out in the sun for two weeks.

"OMFG...Brian DID write every song in the BB songbook! Mike Love is epic fail! Ewww! l333t" God...some of those posts on there read like they were written by 13 year old MySpace worshippers.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »

Ohhhhhhh my, I was thinking about what it would bee likee if Brian and mee weree to go somewheree alonee together.

That woman's friggin' retarded.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

But you can't blame a 13-year-old for acting 13. I'm wholly with Amy: it's not that big a deal. If people are into the fan experience in that way, fine.

Jason
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »

To each blueboarder who has come here....you are an hero.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »

To each blueboarder who has come here....you are an hero.

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 03:14:59 AM »

I think this is the reason: no one at the blueboard is real. They all all computer-generated messages there, a few 2nd hand Commodore 64s and Sinclair sets spew them out. Sort of an elaborate version of the Turing test, as it were. Only thing is: yours truly saw through it all and stopped making efforts posting there.

My last effort in fact was a fantasy story about a certain Og Oggilbie, stating that he kissed his dear love 'in pubic'. The admins did not like the gag.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

I think I may have posted to the blueboard only once or twice. The main reason I don't post there isn't because of the excessive Brian worshipping, but just because it's next to impossible to navigate through that damn board.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: