gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who is Floyd Tucker?  (Read 7952 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »

Floyd Tucker wrote "Awake" which American Spring recorded for their album... but what more did he do? I tried to google him but that didn't reveal anything. Any info would be appreciated.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »

* sound of thread falling deep into board oblivion *

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

Well, hey, no one knows who he is!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »

Looks like co-writing "Awake" was the only noteworthy thing he ever did !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »

I tried to find the version that Brian must have heard to turn him onto the song, but to no avail.

One day I'll make a cd-R with as many BB-related original versions as possible for my own amusement. I've got quite a few already but "Awake" eludes me  Sad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:26:33 PM by 49ersphil » Logged

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »

Co-writing? With who? I saw a photo of the Spring single on some net auction site and it had Tucker as its sole (credited) writer.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »

He was also the son of  Sophie and Forrest Tucker and his uncle started a shortlived car company.   Thus the name of the car; the "Sophie".   Impressed by al of this, an upstart English band considered using the name Sophie Tucker but instead decided on the namd "Beatles" for some odd reason.     It all ties in.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:55:47 AM »

Co-writing? With who? I saw a photo of the Spring single on some net auction site and it had Tucker as its sole (credited) writer.

Mea culpa - next time check credits rather than rely on memory.  Cheesy

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »

Mea culpa - next time check credits rather than rely on memory.  Cheesy
On the other hand, this is what I found in the NCB (Nordic Copyright Bureau) database:

Track Title          Recording Artist         Rights Owner(s)                                           ISRC Work No. Track Used In
AWAKE               SPRING                      TUCKER, F , HENN, RICK , WILSON, BRIAN                             2141115

...in which 2141115 is the Spring album. This was the only hit for Tucker, F.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 04:30:15 AM »

On the third (?) hand, this is what STIM (the Swedish equilvalent to BMI and ASCAP) has registered for one Floyd N. Tucker:

AWAKE WHILE SHE SLEEPS
WHILE SHE SLEEPS (Alternative title)

Verknummer (Work number): 716998   
  Type: Original
  Speltid (Playing time): 0,00

Roll       Rättighetshavare                          IPI-nr
 (Role)      (Rights owner)
  CA          TUCKER FLOYD N                         62061216
  E            BROTHER PUBLISHING COMPANY      33957469
  SE          MISTY MUSIC AB                          205767860

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »

Hm, if he co-wrote it with Brian and Rick Henn, then it's possible that Floyd Tucker is just a random nobody one-shot collaborator.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »

He didn't - those credits are misleading. or rather, someone's misread the info supplied.  I get the feeling it's a pretty old song.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:15:21 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »

It's Murry Wilson. 
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »

He didn't - those credits are misleading. or rather, someone's misread the info supplied.  I get the feeling it's a pretty old song.
Yes, some of the other cover tracks from the Spring album also have Brian's name in the Rights Owner column. Could it be that the producer/arranger also is listed in the same column as the composer? But if so, both Sandler and Desper would've been listed as well I guess.

However, I'm not so sure about it being an older song. I found a VERY user-hostile document on the web (http://bulk.resource.org/copyright/hids/hid_07/hid_07695400-07695699.txt - it's all in one, long line) that has a copyright registration for "Awake (While She Sleeps)" dated 1971-01-21 (and with Tucker as the sole writer). Songs that follow "Awake" in the document are "Surf's Up" and "'Til I Die", both with 1971 copyright dates. Search for "While She Sleeps".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:46:12 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »

I had hope David Sandler might know the answer.

So I mailed him: "Can you tell anything about Floyd Tucker, the guy who wrote the wonderful „Awake“ for the Spring album. Was it you or Rick Henn who brought this song to Brian?"

Unfortunately he didn´t have the answer either: "I don't know who brought "Awake" to Brian, maybe the girls, but it's a wonderful rendering."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:23:14 AM »

Has any more come to light about FT in the intervening six years? There's a country-singing Floyd Tucker on YouTube but that can't be him...

It's odd that no-one seems to know where the song came from (before Brian's 1971 demo, that is).

http://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description-4479099

"Wilson recorded a pitch-perfect piano rendition of "Awake," hitting catastrophically high falsetto notes". That sounds like a contradiction in terms! Perhaps they mean "stratospherically high falsetto notes".

The song sounds a bit like an old American hymn that's been secularized.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:08 AM »

BMI's database shows him listed as Floyd N. Tucker, and Google shows there is a Floyd N. or Floyd Neil Tucker, 71 years old, living in Culver City, California - so that's probably him. Radaris.com and some similar sites give a street address and phone number for him there. It would be interesting to know how he wound up having what seems to be his only professionally published song on Spring's album.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »

Is it the guy with the hairy arm and hat over his face?

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »

Is it the guy with the hairy arm and hat over his face?
You mean Brian Williams?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:55 AM »

BMI's database shows him listed as Floyd N. Tucker, and Google shows there is a Floyd N. or Floyd Neil Tucker, 71 years old, living in Culver City, California - so that's probably him. Radaris.com and some similar sites give a street address and phone number for him there. It would be interesting to know how he wound up having what seems to be his only professionally published song on Spring's album.

Give him a call and report back!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 05:49:01 AM »

Give him a call and report back!

Assuming neither of these things is going to happen, I took a further (fruitless) look round and to my surprise noticed that the lyrics are nowhere to be found. Why? It didn't take me long to transcribe them. Now if anyone looks for them online, they're here (all corrections welcome):

AWAKE (Floyd Tucker)

Awake, awake my loved one
The dawn has brought the day
Awake, awake my darling
You mustn't sleep your life away

Awake, the birds are singing
They sing their songs so clear
And hear the sounds of children
Their laughter fills the air

Awake, awake my baby
This day was meant for you
Could be today you'll find
Your dreams have all come true

And hear the sounds of children
Their laughter fills the air

Arise, arise my darling
This day was meant for you
Could be today you'll find
Your dreams have all come true

Edit: To help googlers, it might be wise to add that "Awake" was recorded by Spring aka American Spring (Marilyn Wilson and Diane Rovell) in either 1971 or 1972.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:30:09 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

The United States Copyright Office Copyright Catalog (1978 to present) has this:

Type of Work:    Music
Registration Number / Date:    RE0000814490 / 1999-12-10
   Renewal registration for: EU0000229415 / 1971-01-21
Title:    Awake (while she sleeps)
Notes:    Words & music.
Copyright Claimant:    Floyd N. Tucker (A)
Copyright Note:    C.O. correspondence.

Names:    Tucker, Floyd N.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »

Has any more come to light about FT in the intervening six years? There's a country-singing Floyd Tucker on YouTube but that can't be him...

It's odd that no-one seems to know where the song came from (before Brian's 1971 demo, that is).

http://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description-4479099

"Wilson recorded a pitch-perfect piano rendition of "Awake," hitting catastrophically high falsetto notes". That sounds like a contradiction in terms! Perhaps they mean "stratospherically high falsetto notes".

I thought it was pretty catastrophic!  Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 10:46:56 AM »

I thought it was pretty catastrophic!  Smiley

Have it your own way. Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx