gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:27:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inside Pop Outtake reels: Any new developments?  (Read 13824 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »

The 1988 date on it is confusing, and could be incorrect, especially since to the best of my knowledge VDP and BW/The Beach Boys had no collaborations going on at that time.   CBS might have shelved a special or project, though it would be the first I've ever heard of it.

I just thought it was interesting that the CBS Film/Television collection has a box with the words "CBS/Van Dyke Park/Beach Boys" written on it.  It's probably something worth checking out.
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »

...I think the biggest thrill would be to hear that performance of Child Is Father of The Man and see if there are any original verse lyrics in there.

yes sir, i'd be truly satisfied if i were ever able to hear that. it's my favorite song from smile.

any time i'm near a keyboard i just sit there as long as possible playing the chorus.

and judging by how moving brian's performance of surf's up for that show was, i have no doubt that cifotm was equally great.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »

"Beach Brothers" was apparently a CBS pilot (that never aired?).  It has nothing to do with the Oppenheim film from 1966.

BEACH BROTHERS - CBS Pilot, Director - Garry Marshall
                     Starring Hank Azaria and Ted Henning
                     Producer - Edward Milkis
http://www.scriptnotes.com/biography.htm

Not sure if "Beach Brothers" somehow dramatized the Beach Boys and VDP, but perhaps the writer would know.
http://cinema.usc.edu/faculty/weber-david.htm
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up.  Perhaps they planned on using "Surf's Up" or some other VDP/BW composition in the show.

I do hope these reels eventually turn up.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »

I'm not sure if somebody's found this before, but I dug this up:

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt8x0nd51b&chunk.id=c02-1.2.7.7.4&brand=oac

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]
Beach Brothers [Contents Unidentified] -- Sound Recordings . 1988 December 21 . open reel audio tape, 2 in.

On container, "CBS/Van Dyke Park/Beach Boys/12-21-88/24 trk/30 IPS."

Any idea what this could be?

24 track tape didn't exist in 66/67, so any hopes of this being SMiLE-era rests on this being a transfer from another source.

Great topic, just now getting back into SMiLE, and would love to find out more.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 01:53:17 AM »

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]
Beach Brothers [Contents Unidentified] -- Sound Recordings . 1988 December 21 . open reel audio tape, 2 in.

24 track tape didn't exist in 66/67, so any hopes of this being SMiLE-era rests on this being a transfer from another source.

The notation "1988 December 21" is a bit of a giveaway too...  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »

Strange little collection that -  there're other items on the same page that I'm sure refer to the BBs, not the "Beach Bros", given the in-putter's habit of making errors (see Van Dike, etc). "Beach BRoithers" maybe might have been interpreted from a Brother Records session for the Beach Boys? With Van Dyke Parks in attendance?

Here's the interesting: the dates are all '88 or 89, yet that web page is a guide (http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt8x0nd51b&chunk.id=c02-1.2.7.7.4&brand=oac) to CBS Film & Television collection from '55 to '83, which makes one wonder if it might indeed have been a transfer of something recorded between '55 and '83. What BBs' material would have been in a CBS vault from that era?

[ Box 1035 ]
[ Item 12 ]
Beach Brothers [Contents Unidentified] -- Sound Recordings . 1989 January 5 . open reel audio tape, 2 in.
On container, "CBS/Beach Bros./1-5-89/24 trk/tape 250/+3 30 IPS."

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 10 ]
Beach Brothers [Contents Unidentified] -- Sound Recordings . 1989 January 5 . open reel audio tape, 2 in.
On container, "CBS/Bob Drasnin/Beach Bros./1-5-89/24 trk/30 IPS."

[ Box 1140 ]
[ Item 16 ]
Beach Brothers (logs 1-19) -- Sound Recordings . 1989 January 5 . 1/4 in. tape
On container, "CED/1-5-89/R1/LOGS 1-19/DD - Print Takes Only/Beach Bros (Pilot) Van Dike."

“We live in divisive times.”
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]

Be an arse all you want, but this is the CBS vault we're talking about. Someone could've placed a tape from 1966 in a box and labeled as the current date. 

Regardless, I'm curious if anyone here is versed on "Beach Brothers".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:59:25 PM by andy » Logged
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 05:32:42 AM »

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]

Be an arse all you want, but this is the CBS vault we're talking about. Someone could've placed a tape from 1966 in a box and labeled as the current date. 

ah yes, the Beach Brothers.. with such hits as "Surfer Lady" ,"The Chill of the Moon", and their more avant-garde album "Frowny Frown"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 07:08:33 AM »

... this is the CBS vault we're talking about. Someone could've placed a tape from 1966 in a box and labeled as the current date. 

Same here. Those notes are full of typo errors as it is. Also, the date on the box could refer to a transfer. Where there's lofe, there's hipe.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »

OK, let's take what we've got - not what we might want it to be - and run with it.

[ Box 1035 ]
[ Item 12 ]
On container, "CBS/Beach Bros./1-5-89/24 trk/tape 250/+3 30 IPS."

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 11 ]

[ Box 1044 ]
[ Item 10 ]
On container, "CBS/Bob Drasnin/Beach Bros./1-5-89/24 trk/30 IPS."

[ Box 1140 ]
[ Item 16 ]
Beach Brothers (logs 1-19) -- Sound Recordings . 1989 January 5 . 1/4 in. tape
On container, "CED/1-5-89/R1/LOGS 1-19/DD - Print Takes Only/Beach Bros (Pilot) Van Dike."

Four tapes... seven mentions of "Beach Brothers to one of "Beach Boys". Logically, which one is likely to be the typo ?

As for the mentions of VDP... is it not beyond the realms of possibility that he was asked to score the pilot ?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »

For all we know the "Van Dike" could be Dick Van Dyke!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »

For all we know the "Van Dike" could be Dick Van Dyke!

You know, that's a good point!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »

Has anyone asked the writer of "Beach Brothers" what it was all about?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »

Has anyone asked the writer of "Beach Brothers" what it was all about?

No...but someone asked Alfie.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »

What the hell are you talking about, Stebbins???
Are you asking if it "is it just for the moment we live?"
Also, while I'd crawl across sand to see these out-takes,
Where in Gods name is video of Dennis doing "Falling in Love",
from the David Frost Show???

Because: "I know there's something much more,
Something even non-believers can believe in."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 04:52:58 AM »

Very good points AGD... most peculiar of coincidences about the VDP/B.Boys typos tho'.

I just Googled "CBS & 'The Breach Brothers'" and one of the results wasn't the sort of website my girlfriend would like me to visit again.

Maybe anyone with VDP's ear could ask him what the project was, and the nature of his involvement? I know he can be a very amenable chap.

s6270
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

Sorry to add something on such an old topic but I am seriously suggesting going to the History Detectives on this one.... really.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »

Sorry to add something on such an old topic but I am seriously suggesting going to the History Detectives on this one.... really.

Very good idea! That might be one of the only things that would work. Aren't you supposed to have an unexplained OBJECT to start out with though? Or would the Surf's Up footage be an acceptable basis for them to investigate?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:10 AM »

There is a March 2006 post on the board regarding the on going hunt for the Inside Pop outtake reels.  Does anyone know if anything new has happened on this front since the 2006 post?  I for one am more interested in the sound track recordings that would have accompanied this footage.  There is a decent chance that these mag tracks are sitting in a film vault someplace collecting dust.  We have heard Surf's Up at Brain's house and I think the Box Set Surf's Up demo version is from this filming too(Huh).  Oh, but hearing Brian and Van Dyke talk and hearing December 1966 renditions would be an amazing break through. As many of you know from the Smile Shop article, the songs mentioned are: "Child Is Father Of Man", "Heroes & Villains", "Open Country Song" (most likely I'm In Great Shape),"Sunshine", "Surf's Up", "Who Ran The Iron Horse" , "Do Wa Wa" (whatever this was--maybe Wonderful vocals?), and a bunch of stuff from a "Wonderful" session.  The footage also would be very informative to study.
Search function is helpful...those who are more learned than I...  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:28 AM »

Reader's Digest version: the trail ran cold and of course, now Oppenheim is no longer with us. Chances are those outtakes are still in his personal archive. Who knows, maybe one day when we're all singing along with Carl & Dennis...

The serendipitous part of the hunt was the discovery of his reel notations which, when translated, proved most illuminating in confirming what was - and wasn't - recorded at that session, and in debunking the then-recent claim that the cameras captured a set-to between Brian & Mike over the lyrics.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »

The "JE" in that email has to be Jasper who did all the heavy lifting on this. Exciting time.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »

Just to get this out there, if the tapes are found, I would donate a sizable amount to recovering/transferring them for all to hear, that is if Capitol doesn't get it first.

Surfs Down
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

Sounds like it's close to a lost cause, but I would seriously consider contributing money to put towards a P.I. for this.....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »

Sounds like it's close to a lost cause, but I would seriously consider contributing money to put towards a P.I. for this.....

Years ago there was a similar topic/thread (on the Inside Pop tapes), and I posted that I wish(ed) Brian's camp would've employed someone and given them a budget with the intent on finding and obtaining anything and everything related to SMiLE. It's that important; it has historical value. I also wished they would've done it, just because it's SMiLE, arguably Brian's best work, and they would want the stuff in Brian's possession. I still find it a little perplexing and disappointing that somebody in Brian's circle didn't convince Melinda of that.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx