gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:06:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dutch Documentary On 'Holland', Coming Thursday Feb 19  (Read 8126 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »

Hiya -

yesterday I bought my regular TV guide, the 'VPRO Guide'. It runs a cover picture, a collage on the 'Holland'-album, very nice, with the famous Cooper Black typeface. Inside is a 4 page story on the making of the 'Holland' album. Now, this text contains no new information for strong devotees (apart from the minor fact that the owner of the original studio, Piet Visser, was also called 'Pi Vériss' as a nickname, and that this man wrote a Dutch song, a hymn to an Amsterdam neighbourhood, that has become a Dutch folk standard: 'Bij Ons In De Jordaan').

But that does not detract from the fact that the 30 minute documentary could be very interesting. I will see whether I can get a friend to record it on DVD for PM purposes, so to speak.

So: Thursday, February 19, 9:25-10:00, on the Dutch PBS Channel 2: 'Andere Tijden: The Making Of 'Holland'.

And see the guide cover at: http://www.vpro.nl/tools/images/index.jsp?number=41453874
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:52:38 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:18:24 AM »

On the webpage "Uitzending Gemist" (= Missed Broadcast) one will be able to watch this broadcast after Feb. the 19th.

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/serie?serID=224&md5=ff9d54194bd489407f8b81ac39dad70f

And VPRO has a special webpage for the "Andere Tijden"-series: http://geschiedenis.vpro.nl/programmas/2899536/

I expect more information on the edition of the 19th tomorrow.

O, and from what I've heard interviews were made with Jack Rieley and Blondie Chaplin. Also the manager of the Baambrugge-studio's, Don Willard will speak up. There's an interview with Rijk van Vlaanderen (neighbour and friend of Carl Wilson at the time). So yes, although the boys themselves aren't mentioned, this should at least be interesting...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:42:15 AM »

Thanks, SMiLE-Holland! -

I never watch 'Uitzending Gemist', so I did not realize that that is an excellent opportunity for all our friends here to see the programme. In the VPRO-Guide, a recent phone call with Van Dyke Parks is cited - so perhaps he's given a mention too.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 02:54:09 AM »

I'm hoping that they'll at least put some footage of the boys from the early 70ies (Grand Gala Du Disque 1972 pretty please?). Or the TopPop performance of Marcella (if it axists at all, it's mentioned in Keith Badman's book). But pretty much anything from that era would be great. But there's other footage as well from late 70ies and early 80ies in which Carl and Mike talk briefly on their stay in the Netherlands. I have it on tape, a better quality recording would be welcomed though.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:38:07 AM »

I'm hoping that they'll at least put some footage of the boys from the early 70ies (Grand Gala Du Disque 1972 pretty please?). Or the TopPop performance of Marcella (if it axists at all, it's mentioned in Keith Badman's book). But pretty much anything from that era would be great. But there's other footage as well from late 70ies and early 80ies in which Carl and Mike talk briefly on their stay in the Netherlands. I have it on tape, a better quality recording would be welcomed though.

Same here. Is there footage of that show where they arrived at 5 AM? That one's mentioned in the magazine article. Oh, I read elsewhere that the then president of the Dutch Beach Boys Fan Club is somehow involved in the film, so we might expect clips from that time. At any rate, it would not be very thrilling to watch that Amsterdam channel for 30 minutes upside down, would it?

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:26:45 AM »

Oh, I read elsewhere that the then president of the Dutch Beach Boys Fan Club is somehow involved in the film, so we might expect clips from that time.

Ah, the member of the then president of the Dutch Beach boys Appreciation Society....
is a member of this board....

I think there were 2 at the time btw, happen to have an early 70ies radio-broadcast of a BB-special with both 'presidents' as guest dj's.

No footage of that foggy December night in 1970 as far as I know.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 06:38:13 AM »

Are you talking about Eddie Feiken?

Watson, did you hear this?
Spiritinthesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »

Brilliant stuff.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »

nope, way earlier....

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »

Shocked

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »

Announced on the channel's website as we speak: "Beach Boys in de (the) Polder"
http://geschiedenis.vpro.nl/programmas/2899536/

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:28 AM »

nope, way earlier....

Gabriël Witteveen?

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:52:34 AM »

nope, way earlier....

Gabriël Witteveen?

... and we have a winner here ...

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:42:22 AM »

Really looking forward to this. My comprehension of the Dutch language is very feeble to say the least, yet if someone's talking for a while most of the time I can tell at least WHAT they're talking about... or so I think.  Cheesy

Anyway, I remember watching another documentary film about the Holland album only a few years ago, which mostly had rock critics elaborating on the group's more "progressive" sound around the time. Nothing earth-shattering really but still a nice enough acknowlegment of the BB's music beyond Pet Sounds of course. Hoping for one or two more controversial anecdotes from Jack Rieley this time, Pet Sounds Mailing List-style.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »

I just saw the documentary. I thought it was pretty shallow and not all that interesting. It had an interview with Jack Rieley (partially in Dutch) and Blondie Chaplin (in Baambrugge), a local bike shop owner, a sound engineer and the guy that owns the car shop where the group leased their cars. That was pretty much it...

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »

I just saw the documentary. I thought it was pretty shallow and not all that interesting. It had an interview with Jack Rieley (partially in Dutch) and Blondie Chaplin (in Baambrugge), a local bike shop owner, a sound engineer and the guy that owns the car shop where the group leased their cars. That was pretty much it...

Yep, quite disappointing overall, the introduction was longer than the actual documentary.... Nice to see/hear Rieley speaks Dutch so well.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »

Some more information on the docu. http://geschiedenis.vpro.nl/programmas/2899536/afleveringen/41466607/

And for those not able to receive Dutch TV: here's the docu on the "Uitzending gemist"-website: http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/aflevering?aflID=8924011&md5=e0a50d5cd0d603c40bd92f038d4852e6

click on the "bekijk uitzending"-button below-left and the episode will start.

Yep, a lot of Dutch language as well, even Jack Rieley still speaks a few words, but in between most people around here will understand what it's all about. And if you don't, just ask, there's always a friendly Dutchman around here to translate.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »

As for the docu itself. Mildly disappointing. I had hoped for more 70ies-footage I guess (there must be some footage left from that 1972 Grand Gala Du Disque-performance). And why not tell the real/whole story on the boys coming over to Holland? the Dec. 1970 "fog"-incident? Grand Gala Du Disque? O well ....
But I'm glad that at least they could get Blondie and Jack R. for this docu. And that they were able to find that 1983 Carl Wilson interview. At the time it was made and used for a Dutch docu called "The Story of The Beach Boys", which was largely based on the It's OK-docu. Still have it somewhere on tape. There were more CW-interview snippets, but they used the right ones for this docu. Too bad none of the (other) surviving Beach Boys was asked (or maybe they just weren't interested... again). I remember the same problem occurred in 1997/8 when they tried to make a docu like this. I think only Al Jardine was talked to, but it was never materialised. Might have something to do with Carl's illness which was critical then.
I'm not sure if they used the same footage on Rijk van Vlaanderen (the owner of the bike-shop) that was broadcasted a few years ago. Have to check that out.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »

I wonder how the casual fans and laymen looked at this documentary. It probably was hardly interesting for them at all. And I don't think that they really learned anything new about The Beach Boys apart from maybe the fact that they actually did anything between "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo"...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:56:08 AM by shelter » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »

That was terrible.

Jack Reiley is a scary guy. Did I hear him mention that HE suggested to the group that they play the Monterey Pop Festival? In 1967? When did Reiley come along? I thought it was 1970. Also, I didn't appreciate that comment Reiley made about the Carl & The Passions album. That album is as good as Holland. It's interesting a documentary would be made about an album whose recording sessions were said to be relatively unproductive, had to be finished in L.A, was considered a financial debacle, and the album was eventually rejected by the record company. We got love....
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »

What Rieley was talking about was the 1970 Big Sur Folk Festival, which was held at the site of the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, and which The Beach Boys did play, at Jack's urging.

However, he misspoke when he said Steve Desper was the engineer who went to Holland for them...it was actually Steve Moffitt.   An understandable slip-of-the-tounge.

As far as the reason for the docu...I think it's always been a somewhat interesting endeavor from a fan perspective...the thought of The Boys going to a country completely different from what they were used to just to record an album.  The fact that it was a pretty good album (their last pretty good album according to some fans) makes it all the more interesting.  And the fact that this docu was made in that country....I mean, it makes more sense for a Dutch TV network to do this than an American or English one...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »

What Rieley was talking about was the 1970 Big Sur Folk Festival, which was held at the site of the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, and which The Beach Boys did play, at Jack's urging.

Did Neil Young and/or Janis Joplin play that festival, as Rieley mentioned? The 1970 Big Sur Festival was held October 3, 1970; Janis Joplin died on October 4, 1970.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »

Did Neil Young and/or Janis Joplin play that festival, as Rieley mentioned? The 1970 Big Sur Festival was held October 3, 1970; Janis Joplin died on October 4, 1970.

Well according to Wikipedia:

"On Saturday, October 3, Joplin visited the Sunset Sound Studios[6] in Los Angeles to listen to the instrumental track for Nick Gravenites' song "Buried Alive In The Blues" prior to recording the vocal track, scheduled for the next day.[12] When she failed to show up at the studio by Sunday afternoon, producer Paul Rothchild became concerned. Full Tilt Boogie's road manager, John Cooke, drove to the Landmark Motor Hotel (since renamed the Highland Gardens Hotel) where Joplin had been a guest since August 24.[19] He saw Joplin's psychedelically painted Porsche still in the parking lot. Upon entering her room, he found her dead on the floor."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 07:07:31 AM »

I'm pretty sure Rieley was referring to acts that had HISTORICALLY played the festival (whether it was called Monterey Pop or Big Sur Folk, it was held at the same site).  Janis played there in '67 (the one The Beach Boys bailed out of), and CSNY (with Neil) played there in '69.

One piece of history though that WAS off in Jack's retelling...the striped shirts were gone WAY before he came on the scene...and so were the ice cream-colored suits, for that matter.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »

It's interesting a documentary would be made about an album whose recording sessions were said to be relatively unproductive, had to be finished in L.A, was considered a financial debacle, and the album was eventually rejected by the record company.

It doesn't happen every day that a famous American band relocates to a small town in the Netherlands for a few months to record an album. That's why, from a Dutch point of view, it is an interesting subject.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx