gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:34:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Appreciation Thread  (Read 7478 times)
Jason
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »

Bad hats and receding hairlines, oh my! Mike Love!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 03:44:35 PM »

Some of the greatest lead vocals and lyrics in music history, oh my.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:14:19 PM »

*You know, as hard a time as we may give him, I saw the Beach Boys a lot in the eighties- their silver age as a live band- and always thought Mike was just a really great front man.  He was engaging and entertaining and always 100% into it- with the result that the audience always was as well.  Most impressively, he didn't come off as just repeating the same shtick every single night (though I'm sure he must have to some extent).  Even stuff like introducing the car medley always felt surprisingly fresh and spontaneous because he was into it and seemed to be enjoying himself.

If there's any justification to all the overexposure and the inevitable devaluing of the live act that followed, it's this: he never, ever phoned it in that I know of.  Every other band I saw as much- including the Who- did on occasion, but not Mike.

* "All I Wanna Do" is probably my favorite song on Sunflower.

* "She makes the Indy 500 seem like a Roman chariot race, now"- I love that line as much now as I did when I was seven.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 04:15:12 PM »

Wonderful post.

Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

A lot of my earliest childhood memories are of listening to Beach Boys songs and almost all of them had Mike leads. How can I not love the man for what he did? He's such a huge part of my life. Lawsuits aside, he's a great entertainer and a great man.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »

This is kind of hard for me. I don't really have any great love for him. I mean there are 5 guys in the BB (7 if you count Chaplin and Fataar) who, in my mind were far more talented than Mike.  And as far as being a frontman goes..... Dennis was far more charismatic than Mike.  On a track like Do You Wanna Dance or (going back earlier) something like Surfer's Rule show that Dennis could sing the uptempo early BB numbers every bit as well, if not better than Mike could.  I wonder what the perception of the BB would have been if the sex symbol had been the frontman instead of balding, goofy hat-wearing dork.

But what Mike does deserve credit for were his contributions to Brian's early music. Warmth Of The Sun for example. It's a shame that he felt so threatened when Brian started handing out leads to Al and Carl.  It's a shame that he let his insecurity get in the way of the band's progress.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 05:39:49 PM »

His later contributions to the Sunflower, 20/20, Holland and Wild Honey albums were just as stellar.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »

Those were Carl's babies. One of the reasons I like those records because there's so little of Mike.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 05:53:04 PM »

Those were Carl's babies. One of the reasons I like those records because there's so little of Mike.

So little? He's in all the harmonies and sings 4 leads on Wild Honey, 3 leads on 20/20, 3 on Sunflower, 2 on Surf's Up, and 2 on Holland. He's there.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 06:01:29 PM »

For whatever reason, i can easily seperate the harsh feelings I have for Mike's lawsuits from his music.  I think he was a big part of the band on many recordings, and even if you want to pigeon hole him into being all over the early stuff exclusively... then you have to explain exactly what's so wrong about Little Deuce Coupe... or California Girls... or Surfin' U.S.A.... or any of the what, dozens of great Mike Love lead vocals.  We all talk about the lesser known songs and the later, more creative? music a lot, but I don't think there's many on the board who don't mark out and sing along when they hear "I Get Around" on the radio. 

Plus, just HOW COOL is "Wellll, I saved my pennies.. and I saved my dimes....."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 06:06:13 PM »

He wrote almost all the words for Honey, which is way more Brian than Carl.

Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 06:08:09 PM »

I agree with Ian, Wild Honey is such a Brian Wilson record in its style and its sense of humor. That, Pet Sounds, and Love You. It's like the great triumvirate.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »

This is kind of hard for me. I don't really have any great love for him. I mean there are 5 guys in the BB (7 if you count Chaplin and Fataar) who, in my mind were far more talented than Mike.  And as far as being a frontman goes..... Dennis was far more charismatic than Mike.  On a track like Do You Wanna Dance or (going back earlier) something like Surfer's Rule show that Dennis could sing the uptempo early BB numbers every bit as well, if not better than Mike could.  I wonder what the perception of the BB would have been if the sex symbol had been the frontman instead of balding, goofy hat-wearing dork.

Very interesting that you mention this.

One of my absolute FAVORITE things about the Beach Boys is their once line up.

You had:

Brian the artistic, handsome, funny, reserved guy.
Carl the quiet, pudgy, handsome, soft spoken guy
Al the studious, reserved, elf of a man
Mike the "Goofy hat wearing dork".
Dennis the sex symbol, handsome, sexy, the all round Bond figure in the group.

That's the line-up in my head when I picture the Beach Boys. Sometimes I include Bruce and the later main stays, mostly not. Those five people paint such an interesting picture of a band. Full of differences, similarities, DNA, and fun. I love Mike because he was the goofy guy who danced funny while guitar solo's were being played. I love Al because he's that little man whose hand you just want to shake for ten minutes.

I'm sure many other people love this diversity and don't shun the group because one person is a little odd.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 07:15:23 PM »

Mike the "Goofy hat wearing dork".

I fulfill that role in my band too!

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »

I will too once I start balding.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »

Mike's vocals on Girl From New York City is freakin' awesome.  His distinctive voice is an important ingredient in the Beach Boys stew.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 04:39:23 AM »

Mike Love: Amazing singer and writer. Poor human being.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
SurferGirl7
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »

The coolest guy ever  Roll Eyes
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 03:43:26 PM »

I agree with Katie!!!!

Wholeheartedly!

The day ML high fives Katie is the day I'll worship His Baldheadedness!
Jason
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
SurferGirl7
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

I agree with Katie!!!!

Wholeheartedly!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »

I've heard at least two seperate people say that they've high-fived by Mike.  No joke.  The man is very generous with fans, as many fans who weren't looking for a reason to hate him before they went backstage will testify to.

Poor human being.

Yeah, well me too.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 04:27:26 PM »

I said the day he high fives Katie......
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »

She'd have to seek him out, wouldn't she?
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »

And you obviously missed her rolling eyes emoticon.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx