gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:24:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Louis Prima  (Read 3597 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »

Any Louis Prima fans here?    I have a few of his albums from across his career...picked up in estate sales etc as I added to my lp collection.  Some of this stuff is a revelation..........God bless David Lee Roth for bringing him to my attention.  If you come across an album callled Strictly Prima, I suggest you buy it.   Italian American with New Orleans roots and a great performer surrounded by the best musicians...amd a feel and bounce not to be heard elsewhere.   A pioneer and his music still stands mightily.   Go get some.

(Add this to the what am I listening to now thread)  Its ALL good.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

I dig Louis, but I'm a sucker for most vocal swing. He really did have the meanest sounding swing band back in the day, and he could jive with the best of them. A great bandleader and excellent singer. He might not have been "rock 'n roll", but he WAS "rock 'n roll", if that makes any sense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »

Meanest sounding swing band.....yes........

Younger folks (those under 60) who think they have heard the best from the previous generation and haven't heard Louis Prima have something to discover.  Indeed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »

Louis' partner (and ex-wife), Keely Smith is still performing and recording.

When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you....
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:05:38 AM »

In the mid sixties an uncle of mine handed me down some of his old 45s. Among them:

Ottilie Peterson - Beale Street Blues backed by Chris Barber's Jazz Band and as I learned only a couple of years ago engineered by Joe Meek (!!) before he became famous as a producer;

Louis Prima - Buena Sera/Oh Marie. I played that about ten times in a row after I got it, especially the flip side -great!!

Watson, did you hear this?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »

he's the king of the swingers and jungle v.i.p

but yeah, Louis Prima is great

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »

How about the Garraint Watkins cover of Heroes and Villains?

Sounds like Louie Prima meets Brian Wilson!
Dugan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »

I got the Bear Family Capitol box and love it.  Sam Butera and the Witness kick butt.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 05:06:45 AM »

When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you....
It's joyful & I liked it immediately - in fact discovered Louis thru that song it played in the advertisement in the telly. Didn't know who it is, then the radio played it & they said the name. I knew there were stacks of vinyl records in kindergarten I used to go to play piano (went to musical school, didn't have piano in the house back then). There is record player from Soviet times in grandmother's house, I took the records with me as kindergarten workers planned to just throw them like garbage. Didn't listen to Louis' entire catalog, some of them difficult to find but that said, my favorite is "Pretty Music Prima Style".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »

Mari, that was great foresight on your part to "rescue" the records.
It's incredible what is thrown out. At a nearby church, the former organist left a large amount of sheet music, choral music, hymnals etc. the church, not having room, was going to throw it all out! My sister found out about it and was able to retrieve some items.

I grew up on Louis Prima, and Sam Butera played down here for many years.
My favorites are Oh Marie and Jump/Jive.

Was feeling a little low this morning and listened to an album- Louis Prima: The Wildest. Put a smile on my face.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx