gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:37:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS DVD  (Read 8760 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

Can't recall if it was here or A. N. other MB, but someone asked who was they guy sitting next to Brian in the control room (who wasn't the engineer): that's Ray Lawlor.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

That would be me that asked.. thanks for the info.  I assume he is one of Brian's manager-type-guys?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »

No, long time friend, and a thoroughly nice guy to boot. Check the credits of recent releases.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »

Anyone else have issues with the clarity of the menus on their copy of this release?

Picture quality of the documentary, the extras, and the concert is great but the menu looks shot.

Mine's a standard European release in a plastic case with no "backstage pass".  Is this what I get for opting for cheap?

“We live in divisive times.”
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:05:49 AM »

Same here. Ordered from Amazon.uk and got the plastic case with no backstage pass. Was not any cheap btw...

And yes, I agree that the menu looks somehow muddy or lower resolution.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »

The UK packaging is, frankly, shoddy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »

How is the DVD? Is it worth a purchase?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »

Yes. The sessions are worth the price alone, but they packed the DVD with a lot of goodies. The performance (including the visuals from the show)/Going Home doc./Yahoo! Nissan performance/Brian & Deschannel interview from MySpace Artist on Artist/The commentary videos from Brian's website with Brian and Scott/photo gallery (although not as well put together as on the BWPS DVD). I might be forgetting something, but yes, I think it's worth it.  Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »

And the booklet is full of cool photos and informative. 

Oh wait, there's no booklet!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

Yes. The sessions are worth the price alone, but they packed the DVD with a lot of goodies. The performance (including the visuals from the show)/Going Home doc./Yahoo! Nissan performance/Brian & Deschannel interview from MySpace Artist on Artist/The commentary videos from Brian's website with Brian and Scott/photo gallery (although not as well put together as on the BWPS DVD). I might be forgetting something, but yes, I think it's worth it.  Smiley

Thats the word I have been waiting for. Thanks for the insight!

Cheers
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »

No problem! Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

I'm still not sure about getting the DVD, I can't imagine finding out anything new, and I'm still angry that once again were denied viewing the real performance like we were with the SMiLE dvd.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:06:37 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »

I think the documentary and the behind the scenes footage in the studio is all excellent
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

I think the DVD is worth purchasing, if you're a fan (which presumably people here are). It isn't perfect, but not much is.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »

Excellent DVD. Great live performance, good documentary and a whole lot of extras. It must be pretty close to the maximum playing time for a single DVD, it's really stuffed to the max. And Brian really looks much more relaxed than I've seen him on any other DVD.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:59:57 AM by shelter » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 09:42:35 AM »

I watched the documentary last night and was impressed (except the misspelling of Hawthorne). I started watching the behind the scenes stuff, but it's very long (which is good!). Lots of fly on the wall stuff, like you're sitting in the studio watching them record. It shows band members contributing ideas but clearly looking to Brian for his approval/rejection-- and he has definite opinions. ("Which chord is better here, Brian?" "Should I play it this way or this way, Brian?") If he had his ups and downs, there were certainly a lot of ups during the making of this. I recommend it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »

What about the actual concert - is it all quick cuts (and multiple edits of different performances) the way the Smile DVD was?  I can't even watch that, it's so forced and unnatural, every few seconds cutting to Brian's fake smile.  Just set up two cameras and shoot a performance of the whole band, with occasional closeups.  Shouldn't the music speak for itself, and not need all that editing/fake smiling and reactions?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

What about the actual concert - is it all quick cuts (and multiple edits of different performances) the way the Smile DVD was?  I can't even watch that, it's so forced and unnatural, every few seconds cutting to Brian's fake smile.  Just set up two cameras and shoot a performance of the whole band, with occasional closeups.  Shouldn't the music speak for itself, and not need all that editing/fake smiling and reactions?

The live run-through is comped from the five full performances they did that day... and yes, there are some abrupt cut-aways from Brian, I suspect when they couldn't get the audio to match the visuals (almost all of his vocals on this DVD are post-dubbed, and in some cases double-tracked). It's a good performance from the band.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »

The live run-through is comped from the five full performances they did that day... and yes, there are some abrupt cut-aways from Brian, I suspect when they couldn't get the audio to match the visuals (almost all of his vocals on this DVD are post-dubbed, and in some cases double-tracked).

As I posted in another thread, given the fantastic sounding live performance of TLOS that is streaming from the NPR website I find it a slight shame that it was necessary to release such a heavily edited performance on the DVD when Brian has performed the piece so well at actual live shows in theaters.

Comparing to SMiLE, if there were overdubs on that DVD I find these far less obvious with no noticeable audio matching visuals / lip sync. issues that occus in TLOS.

I do however enjoy both DVDs very much.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »

I haven't watched the actual concert. I agree that it would have been better to just film a real concert, but I think the DVD is worth it anyway. The documentary alone is worth having. Favorite part of the behind the scenes: Jeff is passing around a plate of cookies. Brian takes one, and then the rest of the band take theirs. Scott jokingly says something like, "Everyone take one so Jeff doesn't get one," and Jeff says, "I don't even care." Child-like Brian, with his mouth full of cookie, says, "Jeff, you care."  Cheesy
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »

And you think the NPR performance wasn't post-dubbed and fixed up?

Come on.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure nearly every concert DVD or live album is post-dubbed and fixed up, even the ones by the very best live artists-- pop, rock, classical, etc. Gotta expect that. As for the format, I suppose you could look at it this way: It's clearly not a concert, and it's clearly post-dubbed, so it's actually more honest than most. Huh? Maybe?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure nearly every concert DVD or live album is post-dubbed and fixed up...

Yep--and they have been since the dawn of live pop/rock records. Anyone who feels betrayed probably better just get used to it, because that's how it is, was and ever shall be. Every now and again you'll see one that makes a point of saying "No overdubs" or something, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »

On a John Fogerty "live" DVD, he flubbed a line and said, "Oh that's ok, they'll fix that in the studio."

Jim

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

One of Queen's live albums - I think the first one - has no overdubs whatsoever.

And it sucks.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx