gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681476 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 11:21:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun (Modernised)  (Read 1165 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »

Brian has described in interviews how he changed the arrangement/chords of TLOS's title track and made it more modern sounding.  And my question is basically how so?

I hope the many intelligent musical minds on the board can shed some light on this...I find it an interesting point.

Cheers
Sam

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

When Brian says "modern" in reference to music, he seems to usually mean harmonies in styles like the Four Freshmen's vocals. So that would basically mean changing something from a I-IV-V kind of progression to use more "jazzy" harmonies. You might take the aforementioned progression and go I6/9 or Imaj7, etc. Instead of a straight IV you might go IVmaj7 or a ii-7 or ii-9, etc. You'd be adding extensions and probably additional chords or tones in passing.

The "non-modern" version of TLOS, you could:

I
Up in the morning, out on the job, work so

IV
hard for my

I
pay. But that

IV
lucky old

I
sun has nothing to do but roll around

V
heaven

I
all day.

Like Al often talks about with Sloop John B, this (like a huge majority of songs in popular culture, from folk to country to blues to rock) can be a 3-chord song. Brian adds to them through interesting extensions, substitutions, counter-melodies, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx