gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:34:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The day that music died  (Read 2323 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »

50 years ago already...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/01/30/not-fade-away-remembering-buddy-holly-on-the-50th-anniversary-of-his-death/

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »

Dennis is listed in the "Rockers Lost Before Their Time"

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/25605430/not_fade_away_rockers_lost_before/photo/23

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

I have been listening to the Complete Recordings of Buddy Holly all day.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:03:48 AM »

The music LIVES, it never died.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »

The music LIVES, it never died.

I couldn't agree more. This is what I said about it on "my" other board:

It's interesting how different people view that period lasting from after the Rock'n'Roll contingent got drafted, found God, married their 13-year-old-cousin or bought it in an air crash up to the time the "blessed" British Invasion hit the States big time. For some the years 1959-1963 were a Doldrums of sorts, an interval between acts with a couple of players holding the stage. For others (including yours truly) it was a time of pop democracy which ended when a certain group collared all five top spots on the American charts.
To the BBs, Roy Orbison and the Four Seasons you can add a string of Motown hits and the best of Phil Spector, not to mention the New York Girl Groups and a whole raft of great one-hit wonders during those years. Dave Marsh in his book Louie Louie mentions only a few solid Top 10 tunes from that time to prove his point, never mind the less bouncy stuff: "Stagger Lee", "Kansas City", "Only the Lonely", "Quarter to Three", "Heat Wave", "What'd I Say", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "The Wanderer", "Shout", "Party Lights", "He's So Fine", "Duke of Earl", "Stay", "Surfin' USA", "Blue Moon", "Hit the Road, Jack", "Do You Love Me", "Green Onions", "Wipe Out", "The Loco-Motion"...

Another reason for my enthusiasm for those years of American music is that we in the UK had already had a year of British Beat by then (the end of '63) and for UK fans of US music it was beginning to get up our noses, especially at school where Beatlemania held sway and you professed your liking for the Routers or the Chantays at your peril...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx