gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681480 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 03:04:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW Solo Fantasy Thread  (Read 4905 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »

So I know that many people have bashed BW's solo output (I have a bit myself); and so I was thinking that most people would prefer BW's solo albums as Beach Boy product. So here's your chance to make a fantasy, what BW solo songs would you have being sung by which Beach Boys??

A few of mine:
"There's So Many"-Dennis or Bruce both could've made this a real treat.
"Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight"-Al
"Rio Grande"-split up between Al and Bri
"Your Imagination"-Carl
"Chain Reaction of Love"-Mike
Carl and Dennis could've done great BVs on "MAD"

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

South America- Mike and Bri
Melt away- Bri and Carl
This Song wants to Sleep with You- Dennis on 'this song's a little blue, because songs need lovin too'
Fairy Tale- Carl
Dream Angel- Carl
Let It Shine- Al
Being With the One you Love- Carl
Let's Go to Heaven in my Car- Mike
Walkin' the Line- Al

It'd be cool to include In My Car because it sounds like a BW 88 outtake but with guest vocals by Carl

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »

I'd love to hear Al on Vega-tables  LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

The Beach Boys - Walkin' The Line (1988)

1. He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move - Mike (1st verse), Brian (2nd verse), Mike (3rd verse)
2. Walkin' The Line - Al (verses), Mike (chorus) or vice versa
3. Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long - Carl (verses), Brian (chorus)
4. Melt Away - Carl
5. One For The Boys - group
6. Being With The One You Love - Brian
7. Little Children - Al (verses), Carl (chorus)

8. Love And Mercy - Carl ("I was sitting in a crummy movie...."), Brian ("I was lying in my room...."), Al ("I was standing in a bar...."), Mike ("I was praying to a god....")
9. There's So Many - Bruce
10. Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight - Carl (verses), Brian-led chorus, Mike ("goodnight my baby")
11. Night Time - Mike & Al
12. Let It Shine - mostly Carl ("Shadows fall..."), Brian ("I couldn't think of anything..." and "Of all the lives that I've been through...)
13. Rio Grande - Al, Brian sings the "River, Take Me Home" segment

It would've gone Top 10!!!!!! police
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:16:27 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »

1. He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move - Mike (1st verse), Brian (2nd verse), Mike (3rd verse)
4. Melt Away - Carl

8. Love And Mercy - Carl ("I was sitting in a crummy movie...."), Brian ("I was lying in my room...."), Al ("I was standing in a bar...."), Mike ("I was praying to a god....")
10. Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight - Carl (verses), Brian-led chorus, Mike ("goodnight my baby")
12. Let It Shine - mostly Carl ("Shadows fall..."), Brian ("I couldn't think of anything..." and "Of all the lives that I've been through...)

I love this... it would have been awesome if at the same time nor Lynne, nor Landy would have been involved in the production (so that would have been timeless instead of a showcase of the worst excesses of '80s production work).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

Are you serious?

I am addressing the whole thread.

Perhaps I should bold it? Or italicize it? Underline it? Put a strike through it? Make it glow? Put it in shadows? Make it move?

Smiley

LOL Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »

OK, and now for a real post on the topic.

Carl and Dennis could've done great BVs on "MAD"

There is one part o the bg vox that I think Al would have been just fantastic on. It's one of the moving lines that lends itself to his voice just perfectly. In the build up between the lines "all these people" and "make me feel so alone."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »

Bruce on There's So Many is genius!    Smiley

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »

What would've the lead single been? And would've Mike re-written some of the lyrics? (Sorry if I'm egging you on!)

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

What would've the lead single been? And would've Mike re-written some of the lyrics? (Sorry if I'm egging you on!)

"Love And Mercy", and the first voice you would've heard would've been Carl's, with Beach Boys' harmonies. No need for lyrical re-writes, but they could've included the extra verse that Brian left out.

I'm not as big a fan of it as some, but "Melt Away" might've caught on, with Carl singing instead of Brian shouting....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:43:20 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »

I think either Carl or Bruce would have sung well on Melt Away.

Love and Mercy would have been a nice one with the guys each taking verses.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

I'd like to hear Al singing Walkin the Line, with the exception of Carl doing the last couplet before the refrain.

And it's easy to imagine How Could We Still Be Dancin' with Blondie, Al or even the gruff-singing Carl. Al or Blondie with Carl coming in at the "Hey everybody"s would be awesome.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

Melt Away with Brian yelling?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 12:44:45 AM »

Are you serious?

Perhaps I should bold it? Or italicize it? Underline it? Put a strike through it? Make it glow? Put it in shadows? Make it move?

Smiley

LOL Wink

Been drinking again, Luther?  police

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »

4. Melt Away - Carl

Yes, that would be amazing. Don't forget Mike on the "night bloomin' jasmine" bass vocals! Love and Mercy would work great as an Add Some Music to Your Day-esque everyone-takes-a-verse thing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »

Are you serious?

Smiley

LOL Wink

Been drinking again, Luther?  police

Sadly, no. Just sassing another thread, on which disapproval of such exercises as these was discussed thusly.

carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »

ooh yeaahh!
Good Kind of Love-Mike
Love and Mercy-Carl
Let's Go To Heaven In My Car-Al
Your Imagination-Carl....I love this song Smiley
Where has love been-Denny
Dream Angel-Carl
Lay Down Burden-Carl
Happy Days-Mike
Sunshine-Bruce
Soul Searchin-Carl of course Smiley  I love this song too
Desert Drive-Al

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »

Happy Days-Mike
The lyric "No one could help me/not even my wife" would be ironic in this sense, and you'd have to make it plural Tongue

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »

The Beach Boys - Imagination (1998)

1. Imagination - Brian
2. She Says That She Needs Me - Carl
3. South American - Mike (verses), Carl (chorus)
4. Where Has Love Been - Al
5. Keep An Eye On Summer - Bruce
6. Dream Angel - Brian
7. Cry - Carl
8. Lay Down Burden - Brian
9. Let Him Run Wild - Mike, in his "All I Wanna Do", "Everyone's In Love With You", "Cool Head Warm Heart" voice
10. Sunshine - Al (first part of song),  Carl (second part of song)
11. Happy Days - Mike (the verses, but you'd have to change the lyrics), Carl ("Oh God the pain...."), Brian ("Happy days are here again....")

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »

I'm pretty satisfied with that list Sherriff

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »

Thanks.

I had to listen to the album again before I posted, and, I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Brian did some excellent vocal work on Imagination. There are a couple of (IMO) underrated songs on this album - "Dream Angel", "Where Has Love Been", and "She Says That She Needs Me", maybe Brian's best solo song - "Lay Down Burden", a couple solid songs - "Cry", "South American", "Imagination", and, I actually was getting into "Happy Days".

Am I losing it? Shocked
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »

Yeah, i enjoy it...Happy days has its moments....

the thing i like about sunshine is around the end that lyric: 'baby, don't be afraid to call'   it sounds like something i woulda enjoyed in the 90s....sadly, at that time, i was just listening to film soundtracks  Roll Eyes

~post of the century~
-Mikie

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »

Thanks.

I had to listen to the album again before I posted, and, I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Brian did some excellent vocal work on Imagination. There are a couple of (IMO) underrated songs on this album - "Dream Angel", "Where Has Love Been", and "She Says That She Needs Me", maybe Brian's best solo song - "Lay Down Burden", a couple solid songs - "Cry", "South American", "Imagination", and, I actually was getting into "Happy Days".

Am I losing it? Shocked

There are some fine songs there, and the vocal product sounds good. If they all had nothing else to do,though, I'd sure like the current band to re-record the whole damn thing.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx