gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:32:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: H&V cantina: Box set or SS/WH two-fer?  (Read 3824 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »

Anyone have opinions as to which is the better-sounding version?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

On careful listening, I thought the 2fer was better...the lead vox didn't seem to break up as much.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »

Which 2fer?  I prefer the 1990 2fer, with noise reduction but with better EQ (less harsh).
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »

I think I have the later 2fer...I cross referenced the two over the headphones and I figured the 2fer sounded slightly clearer.

'nother question...anyone prefer the box version of Surf's Up relative to the latter 2fer version?
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

Which 2fer?  I prefer the 1990 2fer, with noise reduction but with better EQ (less harsh).

Well, either two-fer, I suppose; I have both.  I had assumed the '01 was better than the '90, but I haven't listened to them closely enough to know for sure.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »

The '01 has no noise reduction, which might sound like a good think sonically, but in this case I think the noise reduction tames some of the tape problems of harshness and distortion.  Either that or the EQ treble boost used for the '01 2fers has wrecked havoc on the song.  The box set version also used no noise reduction and may have a better EQ, I'll have to get it out and compare it to the '90 version.
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »

Are all the earlier two-fers better than their later counterparts?

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »

Are all the earlier two-fers better than their later counterparts?

I don't think so - I thought the newer ones sounded clearer and more detailed throughout. Also true of the Brother twofers vs the Caribou single CD issues.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »

It's all personal preference, but the increased loudness/compression used on the 01 2fers as well as the treble boosted EQ makes many (on the Steve Hoffman forums) prefer the '90 releases.  The Japanese Pastmasters is apparently the closest to the master tapes (no EQ of any kind, no noise reduction) and is preferred by many but there were tape problems on several tracks and the master tapes are bass heavy.  Pastmasters have no bonus tracks.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »

I have been frustrated with the sound on both versions.  I ended out building a replica in Pro Tools using pieces from the later 45 version, which I thought sounded very good on the Hawthorne, CA release.  I still had to use much of the Cantina recording, but I got maybe 50% of the song in stereo.  Not ideal, but a nice experiment to listen to.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »

Does anyone else  think the Hawthorne stereo version blows away the mono single version?  Brian buried the backing track on the single and overemphasized the organ.  I don't think you could call the single version mix "rushed" - he did multiple mixes over five months - but single really suffers from the mix.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

I do. While the mono version has more nostalgia it seems to have less umph.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »

Does anyone else  think the Hawthorne stereo version blows away the mono single version?  Brian buried the backing track on the single and overemphasized the organ.  I don't think you could call the single version mix "rushed" - he did multiple mixes over five months - but single really suffers from the mix.

I agree with you. However, that Hawthorne version is mastered too LOUD. When you put it on a comp with other songs, it blasts you away.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »

I agree with you. However, that Hawthorne version is mastered too LOUD. When you put it on a comp with other songs, it blasts you away.

I noticed that right away, too. I got all AOISJFI)SAJF when I heard there was a stereo mix of this version but was disappointed when I heard how compressed it was.

It still sounded really muddy, anyways, and it's always irked me how buried the snare is.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »

1990 CD version.  Hands down. Only becuase the NO-NOISe process does exactly what is was intened to do...take out noise. The GV Box is ok..but the 2001 2fer version has excessive noise, or I should say you can hear the noise (higher resolution, 24 bit vs 16 bit). Mark did the best he could with what he had. I still think the 1990 no-noised version is best. Now if we could just find that master......
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »

Is the 1990 version the same that appears on the SOT 16 CD? COmparing the SOT version to the box set and 2001 twofer it sounds much different, more quiet for lack of a better word.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »

Yes, it's the same - SOT took the cantina version off the 1990 2fer.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »

I agree with BW on this when he said that H&V (I preseume he meant the Cantina version) made him sound constipated. The Smiley version sounds odly compressed like they are all out of breath or something. I assumed this was due to a lot of smoking going on at the home studio sessions but the stereo version on Hawthorne is presumably from the same sessions and it sounds great. The vocals really pop out from the track without seeming pushed.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx