gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:12:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So I Got Keepin' The Summer Alive Today  (Read 7215 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:50 AM »

I first picked up KTSA about 10 years ago on cassette (before the reissues had come out) and was massively underwhelmed - AGDs book might have influenced my thinking on it having read that before. However I do like 'Sunshine' for some reason though its kind of pointless, Santa Ana winds is nice (apart from the horrid spoken intro) and I like 'When girls get together' (though obviously its an earlier track).
To me MIU is the best post-Love you album by far, I dig the sort of raw-with-strings sound of the production and the songs - though cheesy - are just more enjoyable.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 03:37:27 AM »

I really like KTSA and always have. To me, it's the last progressive sounding album they did, and Carl really steals the show. But I also like all of the previous albums as well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 03:59:34 AM »

I really like KTSA and always have. To me, it's the last progressive sounding album they did, and Carl really steals the show. But I also like all of the previous albums as well.
Agree with that... KTSA (with the exception of When Girls... which is the worst kind of camembert) is a fine album that achieved what I think they might have set out to do with SIP, and several years earlier -  a rocking look back on former glories. Title track is superb and I remember thinking Some of Your Love was just about the best track played live at Knebworth in 1980, where I fist saw the band.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »

What does sound progressive in your ears on this record? Jus curious....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »

I think Jon Stebbins comments were right on the mark.  Was Endless Harmony on this album?
whichonespink
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »

No Dennis ... on MIU.

Who sang My Diane or co-wrote Matchpoint of Our Love then?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »

I dont think he co-wrote Matchpoint.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »

No Dennis ... on MIU.

Who sang My Diane or co-wrote Matchpoint of Our Love then?

Mike Love co-wrote "Matchpoint Of Our Love". When I wrote "no Dennis" on MIU, I was referring to compositions. And, yes, I'm aware that Dennis sang "My Diane".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »

It's the last time they did somthing that felt like they were doing their own thing instead of trying to fit in with whatever else was going on.

I agree 100% with the statement above.

I don't mind the production, the problem this time is that most of the material sucks, to different degrees.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

Interesting comments, funny to see how the general consensus is that KTSA really sucks, or is really great, with a few 'OK's' thrown in.

I've also been listening to Beach Boys 85, it's not as great, but a few of the songs are fantastic, It's gettin late and Where I belong stand out.

But MY GOD, California Calling is just painfull, my ears have been destroyed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:52:14 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »

I actually do like (but not love) KTSA. Sunshine is my favorite track on the album. I actually do love Santa Anna Winds and the second half of Endless Harmony. The rest is ok except for School Days. Although, I would rank this album near the bottom, it's a giant step above the embarrasing list (15 B0, BB85, SC, SIP). Half of MIU is embarrasing, but the rest is very good IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »

I actually...kinda like this alubm. It has a good three song run at the end (When Girls get Together, Santa Ana Winds which is my personal favorite on the album, and Endless Harmony.)

Yes, I think WGGT is decent. You heard me.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »

I like KTSA. Last time the BB tried. Really tried.

Bob
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

I bought it the day it was released.  I feel now about the same as I did then, the title track and Goin' On are good....everything else is filler to worse.  I think Brian was in pretty good voice around this time and I think Oh Darlin would have been way better with his vocal.  A couple of Dennis songs would have made this a stronger effort.  I don't think Bruce Johnston should have produced any of their stuff.  LA is generally better.  Take the best of LA and the best of KTSA combined and you'd have a pretty decent album.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

But MY GOD, California Calling is just painful, my ears have been destroyed.

Everybody sing along now... "If everybody in the USA, could come with us to California..."
Just kidding!

I actually like BB85 better than KTSA. I do like the live version of the title track and the alternate version of Santa Ana Winds, but the rest of it is pure dreck. Carl and Jim Guercio should have been helping Bruce run the show much like they did on LA. The boys had a lot of good material in the vaults to draw from, but instead they decided to put out some of the worst songs they've ever written. Just listen to it and you can tell that Brian didn't really give a merda about his songs. A lack of presence from Dennis didn't really help either. BB85 was an improvement over KTSA. Plus, Still Cruisin' at least had Somewhere Near Japan, and SIP had a couple tolerable covers and good Carl Wilson vocals. And I pretty much agree with what Stebbins and The Real Beach Boy said.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

Take the best of LA and the best of KTSA combined and you'd have a pretty decent album.

Amen!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Terrible record. I've owned it since it came out and listened to the whole thing maybe 6 times, including right now. Plastic crap, listless and artless. Worst ever cover to boot!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

I really think KTSA is all that bad; "Goin On" is ace, "Santa Ana" I like a good deal except for the spoken intro or one of Love's worst vocals and I think that the last part of "Endless Harmony" is real good (the rest of the song just stinks until Carl comes in and saves the day!). The title track was 10x better life and I prefer the original "Oh Darlin'" even though it's still not a perfect song...never could be.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

I think that the last part of "Endless Harmony" is real good (the rest of the song just stinks until Carl comes in and saves the day!).

Rock! That is one of my all- time favorite Beach Boy moments. I wish I had that segment isolated.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx