gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:49:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is a "pocket" symphony?  (Read 5808 times)
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »

I've never really understood what Brian meant by this phrase...does he mean it in the sense that it's a "little" symphony, like something small enough to fit in one's pocket? Or is it something more than this?  Huh

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »

I forget who said pocket symphony to Brian, but I think it means a symphony were there are different movments that transpire over a short time. 3:35 is a short time.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:06 AM »

'Symphony' in the classical sense means that there are different movements, that are somehow linked to a 'main theme' that is given a different 'work through' in the various parts, ending in a finale. But this is not dogma (luckily enough!), see for instance the works of Charles Ives, esp. the 'little symphonies' like 'Central Park In The Dark'. If you want to know more, you could do worse than simply consult 'Classical Music For Dummies' or the standard textbook by Grout & Palisca.   

I would say that BWPS offers three movements that are thematically linked but are no symphony in the sense as described above, although mr. Ives would have been delighted had he had the chance to hear it.

I would not rack my brain with trying to define exactly what a 'pocket symphony' is; as far as I know Brian was heavily influenced by Gershwin's 'Rhapsody In Blue', which isn't a classical symphony either.

Some SMiLE blegs are by chance or expressly sequenced so that for instance the 'Bicycle Rider' theme crops up numerous times in unexpected places, and that endears these efforts to me, because this is more in the tradition of old.

So: I'd say that BWPS is a symphony, but no classical symphony in the strict sense. Call it a Ivesian or Parksian symphony, if you like. Sometimes the 'free form' is much more appropriate than the scholarly form.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »

I know what a symphony is, it's the word "pocket" that I'm confused by.

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

I think petsite got it right. Symphonies tend to be much longer than pop songs - many are over an hour long.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:34:48 AM »

It's a made-up term intended to get across that it's a little symphony.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

It's a made-up term intended to get across that it's a little symphony.
Condensed to make it fit in a pocket.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »

You put sound in your pockets?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

You put sound in your pockets?
Only Pet Sounds.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

I wanna say Derek Taylor coined that phrase but I could be wrong; I think pocket symphony could mean a whole symphony in 3 minutes.

somebody called it his 'Satisfaction, You've Lost that Loving feeling,' and something else, all in one song....anyone remember?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

From Brians bio on BW.com

"Good Vibrations” was a record that the legendary publicist Derek Taylor called a “pocket symphony”; given its kaleidoscopic movements
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »

Good old Derek. THAT'S who that was. It was killing me! Thanks!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »

I always took to mean a lesser form of a symphony. A pop song in movements with a typical sonata type format: ie Exposition, developement, and recapitulation... all of which are present in SMiLE. 

Basically a term to convey the ambitiousness of the project without any hint of pretension.  3D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:50:49 AM by pixletwin » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »

I always took to mean a lesser form of a symphony. A pop song in movements with a typical sonata type format: ie Exposition, developement, and recapitulation... all of which are present in SMiLE.  3D

Pretty well put, cheers.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:37 AM »

David Leaf's book says that "pocket symphony" was Brian's term.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

Brian Wilson (a crazy person) used to imagine that inside his breast pocket on his shirts there was a tiny orchestra of eighteen people who would start playing if he opened his pocket. These were the real creators of his most famed music. Often times Brian would forget how a part should go and he'd sneak off to the bathroom and ask the conductor in his pocket for some help. Then he'd return to the control room with everything in control. No one found out about Brian's pocket friends until 1971 when he was seen sprinkling bits of a chocolate chip cookie into his pocket and talking about paychecks.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx