gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:40:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You mixdown  (Read 8588 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »

I always found this subject fascinating. Does anyone know if it was Brian or Carl's decision to have Carl mix the album? It's very revealing that Carl was so involved in Brian's new music. I've also (and probably a number of people on the board) heard the "Honkin" with Billy Hinsche, which has Brian's production before Carl's mixdown. It's fascinating in that all of Brian's rough edges remain--the piano is very prominent, as are the moog synths and Bri's falsetto is a bit more brittle and on-the-nose as are the group harmonies.

So what's the consensus on Carl's mix? Do you think he did a good job, had less than desirable elements to work with or was slightly hindered by his foggy 1977 state of mind? And also, do you think Brian was too out of it to do his own mix, or just needed fresh ideas in Carl?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »

I don't Brian ever quite finished that album. As has been his wont since the mid-70s, he merely did a lot of recording and left it to others to sift through his creations, polish off the rough edges, and release it in some form. In other words, it wasn't so much that he needed a different perspective as that someone needed to get the tapes ready for release as an album, and Carl was the one willing to do it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »

My understanding is that Brian used Carl as a mixdown producer to get the stereo mix right.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

Carl basically took Brian's somewhat, ah, 'unfocused' mixes and made them shine a bit.

OK, a lot.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

The "Billy" mix of Honkin' that I've heard is obviously a rough, with little stray guitar notes and noises present in the intro, etc. (and Dennis' count-in still intact). 
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »

Yeah, Billy's version was a rough mix, recorded during the start of 15 Big Ones over the weekend of January 30th and 31st 1976.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »

Yeah, Billy's version was a rough mix, recorded during the start of 15 Big Ones over the weekend of January 30th and 31st 1976.

What's your source on those dates?
MBE
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »

I think the mix is pretty unbalanced. The farting bass lines are way too loud. Brian always has to have someone mix for him as he cannot hear stereo. So the last time he really did one himself is the last Beach Boys mono mix probably Break Away.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 02:33:22 PM »

Brad Elliott and Keith Badham. Yes, I know not always the most exacting information. But I do know from talkingto people around at that time that Honkin' was recorded early in 1976, regardless of the actual date. Keith finds info for Jan 30th and 31st, I am going to go with it for now.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »

I think the mix is pretty unbalanced. The farting bass lines are way too loud. Brian always has to have someone mix for him as he cannot hear stereo. So the last time he really did one himself is the last Beach Boys mono mix probably Break Away.

Breakaway was stereo. I think (don't hold me to this) that the last mono Brian-monitored mixdown was probably Friends.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »

I love the mix on Love You. The only things I would change about Love You would be either eliminate or re-record "Good Time", have Mike sing the tag to "Roller Skating Child" in his wonderfully nasal tone, and have Brian do a couple of more takes on his lead vocals. But, Love You has been in my Top 5 since its release. I'll bet Brian's, too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

I won't go so far as to say there aren't things I'd change: I think the performances are worse than any preceding Beach Boys album in more than a decade, at least.

But the mix isn't what's wrong. You could mess with it and have other, cool results. But it's also fine as-is, in my opinion. As are the songs. As are the arrangements. As was the production (apart from the aspect of production that leads one to say "let's do another take" or "let's go back in a time machine so these guys can hit the notes clearly"). I love all of that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »

Breakaway was stereo. I think (don't hold me to this) that the last mono Brian-monitored mixdown was probably Friends.

Friends was stereo-only (mixed by Desper).   The single was mono though, I think.   Do It Again was mono.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »

The only things I would change about Love You would be either eliminate or re-record "Good Time"

Nah. Why? Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb, but I don't think a re-recording could have topped the original. It's not the greatest Beach Boys song, but I do like it, and I don't think a re-recording would have went down as well as the original.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »

The only things I would change about Love You would be either eliminate or re-record "Good Time"

Nah. Why? Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb....

That's why. It makes no sense to keep the original Brian vocal. No sense.

Oh, I have nothing against the song, I like the song. I think, around that particular time, the guys were bending over backwards to let Brian have his way, and didn't want to challenge him, or question him. But they should of.

EDIT: I mean, they should HAVE. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:16:31 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »

Friends was stereo-only (mixed by Desper).   The single was mono though, I think.   Do It Again was mono.

Yeah, I should have said single. That is the last mono single or LP track Brian had command over. Do It Again was a foldover done by Desper as a compatabilty check, but when he lost the stereo single mix out of the back of his vette, they went with what he had on him at the time. As he said, he nearly lost his job over that.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »

I was listening to my little black thing that holds about 300 songs last night to 1977 and the Love You/Beach Boys songs sounded GREAT, both of that era yet above it in some ways, sound-wise, as they had in 65-66.
Jason
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »

If you listen to the, let's say, "pre-postproduction" mixes of the Love You tracks that circulate, you'll note that Carl basically beefed them up and cleaned them up, made them more palatable. Not that they're any less charming. They're notably less synth-heavy, but that could just be the bootleg fidelity.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »

Love You seems like a haiku, or a zen koan. It exists beyond the notes that are played. It exists in the spaces between the notes as well (and there are a lot of those!).

It isn't my #1 BB album, but it is up there, and is probably the BB album I listen to most.

My wife is pregnant and I like playing Love You (on vinyl, of course) to the bump. I imagine the synth sound waves doing good things to the foetus' brain.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »

Love You seems like a haiku, or a zen koan. It exists beyond the notes that are played. It exists in the spaces between the notes as well (and there are a lot of those!).

It isn't my #1 BB album, but it is up there, and is probably the BB album I listen to most.

My wife is pregnant and I like playing Love You (on vinyl, of course) to the bump. I imagine the synth sound waves doing good things to the foetus' brain.
Awesome post

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »

My wife is pregnant and I like playing Love You to the bump. I imagine the synth sound waves doing good things to the foetus' brain.

Drop her in her little tub, wash her body, shampoo her hair, and pat her on her butt.... Wink
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »

Be ready for infant that will only stop crying if you give it cocaine, milkshakes, and playboy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »

AMEN. Finally, someone understands me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

Be ready for infant that will only stop crying if you give it cocaine, milkshakes, and playboy.

Bolded, italicized, and underlined for UNDISPUTABLE TROOF. Smiley

Laugh of the year right there.
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

don't forget steaks and birthday cakes
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:48:19 PM by Black Tiger » Logged

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx