gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions
5 - 14 (45.2%)
4 - 9 (29%)
3 - 7 (22.6%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (3.2%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions  (Read 28562 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

I can't remember if Endless Sleep is on this comp, but I always felt that had a smile track like feel.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

I can't remember if Endless Sleep is on this comp, but I always felt that had a smile track like feel.

Nope - only on SOT Volume 4

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »

It's also on Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 17.  I actually never cared much for that song.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »

the backing track for Endless Sleep is very smile like to me....let alone, wasn't there a tape of Endless Sleep shoved in between some Smile tracks?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »

the backing track for Endless Sleep is very smile like to me....let alone, wasn't there a tape of Endless Sleep shoved in between some Smile tracks?

Yup. Good reason for that, too - Mark told me it just happened to be in the studio when they took the photo for the box set booklet. If you look closely, there's also a box labelled "Sacremento remote" (that is, live). So... persuade me that Smile was going to include some live tracks from a gig there.  Grin

There's an AFM sheet for "Endless Sleep". Unfortunately for your theory, it's dated 2/18/64.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »

5 stars.

I don't care for some songs on this album, but many by the Honeys and Sharon Marie and American Spring (Shyin' Away is one of my favorites on the album) are excellent....FULL of that classic Spector sound.

I also like the 5 second bits of studio chatter placed after some songs.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »

This album is worth it just for "Guess I'm Dumb" one of the greatest songs ever.

pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »

This is a great compilation. Like a lot of 60s acts (Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc), Brian didn't necessarily give away his best tracks, but nonetheless there is some stellar material here; I'd rate "Guess I'm Dumb", "He's a Doll", and "The One You Can't Have" as good as anything the Beach Boys did at their 60s  peak, both in terms of songwriting and arrangement/production.

Then there's a bunch of stuff that is good as most of , say, SHUT DOWN VOL. 2 or ALL SUMMER LONG, like "She Rides with Me", "Pamela Jean" (superior to its better-known cousin, IMO), "Tonight You Belong to Me", "Goodnight My Love", "After the Game", and finally a bunch of "interesting curios but not essential" (basically, everything else). Of those tracks, I like "Vegetables", "Sacramento", and "Shoot the Curl", but don't care for any of the Rachel & The Revolvers tracks and put "Thinkin' Bout You Baby" firmly in the "interesting curio" department.

If there's anything that doesn't really "fit" here, it's the two early 70s American Spring tracks. They don't feel like the 60s to me, although I am still glad to have them.

Agree with criticism that the STILL I DREAM OF YOU compilation is much, much more comprehensive, and I would have liked to see "I Do" included here, but otherwise I think this captures all of the best material on SIDOY, with great sound and good liner notes, too.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »

Worth the price of admission for 'Guess I'm Dumb', but there are quite a few other gems here. 'After the Game' is just amazing, particularly for such an early era; 'Thinking About You Baby' is inferior to 'Darlin'', but still is groovy and very Phil Spector-y. Speaking of, The Honeys I think were supposed to be Brian's very own Ronettes. 'He's A Doll' sounds like a mixture of many classic Spector productions such as 'Then He Kissed Me' and 'Uptown'. Oh, 'Shyin' Away' and 'Fallin' In Love' (prefer the Denny version but hey) are just awesome.
Essential collection if you wanna dig what Bri was all about.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »

This is a great compilation. Like a lot of 60s acts (Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc), Brian didn't necessarily give away his best tracks, but nonetheless there is some stellar material here; I'd rate "Guess I'm Dumb", "He's a Doll", and "The One You Can't Have" as good as anything the Beach Boys did at their 60s  peak, both in terms of songwriting and arrangement/production.

Then there's a bunch of stuff that is good as most of , say, SHUT DOWN VOL. 2 or ALL SUMMER LONG, like "She Rides with Me", "Pamela Jean" (superior to its better-known cousin, IMO), "Tonight You Belong to Me", "Goodnight My Love", "After the Game", and finally a bunch of "interesting curios but not essential" (basically, everything else). Of those tracks, I like "Vegetables", "Sacramento", and "Shoot the Curl", but don't care for any of the Rachel & The Revolvers tracks and put "Thinkin' Bout You Baby" firmly in the "interesting curio" department.

If there's anything that doesn't really "fit" here, it's the two early 70s American Spring tracks. They don't feel like the 60s to me, although I am still glad to have them.

Agree with criticism that the STILL I DREAM OF YOU compilation is much, much more comprehensive, and I would have liked to see "I Do" included here, but otherwise I think this captures all of the best material on SIDOY, with great sound and good liner notes, too.
Micheal Parks (I think that's his name, if it's not, sorry)....he did alot of great covers of rarities and he did the Rachel and Revolvers' Number One, and I've loved it ever since, I honestly think this song shoulda been on one of the early BB albums.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »

4/5 Nothing to add to all your great comments but that this is essential to your collection
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

4/5 Nothing to add to all your great comments but that this is essential to your collection
I agree it's essential to own...I just wish there was a volume 2 or a 3 disc box....disc 1 pet projects vol 1, disc 2 pet projects vol 2 (more productions and participation alike: Ron Wilson single, Bob & Bobby single, Endless Sleep, Yes Sir That's my baby, a few of ,Fred Vail Country tunes, etc), and disc 3 All American Spring material (album, unreleased tracks, bonus tracks).

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx