gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681473 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 09:40:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Do You Treat Your BBs Collection?  (Read 4355 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:43:49 AM »

OK, we're all anally retentive up to a point. How do you treat BW/BBs-related purchases?

a. as all other records I have, normally, with some wear on the horizon (zero points)

b. I treat these with special care, they must not get any traces of use (ten pts)

c. not one of my records by anyone may get wear on it (twenty pts)

d. I make a CD-R copy ASAP and never play the original again (fifty pts)

e. I always buy originals if I can, one for playing and one to keep in sealed/pristine condition (hundred pts)

Extra points for:

e. I can never pass a record store without going inside and check the Brian Wilson and Beach Boys racks to see whether the owner keeps them as complete as possible (200 pts)

f. I won't let my significant other touch my BBs related stuff; should that happen all the same, then I become a wild, cruel, cannibal (1,000 pts).

Just a fun game. Oh, and I qualify for (c) and (e), 220 pts.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:42:35 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »

I can never pass a record store without going inside and check the Brian Wilson and Beach Boys racks

That's almost an obsession. I can't pass a record store without checking the B and W sections.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:33 AM »

I can never pass a record store without going inside and check the Brian Wilson and Beach Boys racks

That's almost an obsession. I can't pass a record store without checking the B and W sections.

Smiley yes it's fun. I don't know the real psychology behind it; could be that finding your own, personal obsession in a public spot, and seeing all those familiar covers between dross by Bach and The Beatles. I think.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:48:07 AM »

Smiley yes it's fun. I don't know the real psychology behind it; could be that finding your own, personal obsession in a public spot, and seeing all those familiar covers between dross by Bach and The Beatles. I think.

Occasionally you might discover some cheap greatest hits comp you hadn't seen before and when it happens I always tend to check the track listing for accuracy and completeness.
 Afro

It's always REAL fun to go through the BB used LPs sections however. What, an original copy of the M.I.U. Album? Mike Love solo single? Donkey-eared and worn-out Catch A Wave single from the seventies? There's almost always some low priced little thing you can't help taking along.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:57:27 AM »

OK, we're all anally retentive up to a point. How do you treat BW/BBs-related purchases?

a. as all other records I have, normally, with some wear on the horizon (zero points)

b. I treat these with special care, they must not get any traces of use (ten pts)

c. not one of my records by anyone may get wear on it (twenty pts)

d. I make a CD-R copy ASAP and never play the original again (fifty pts)

e. I always buy originals if I can, one for playing and one to keep in sealed/pristine condition (hundred pts)

Extra points for:

e. I can never pass a record store without going inside and check the Brian Wilson and Beach Boys racks to see whether the owner keeps them as complete as possible (200 pts)

f. I won't touch my partner in life touch my BBs related stuff; should that happen all the same, then I become a wild, cruel, cannibal (1,000 pts).

Just a fun game. Oh, and I qualify for (c) and (e), 220 pts.

I don't let anyone borrow my records but she can borrow my books or videos. I will gladly play or buy her her own copy of a record though.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »

B and E...That's me.

I'm always on the search for rare BB albums, it's especially fun in foreign countries

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:41:16 AM »

Same here, I have so much fun looking for their stuff whenever I can.  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

f. I won't let my significant other touch my BBs related stuff; should that happen all the same, then I become a wild, cruel, cannibal (1,000 pts).
[/quote]

The last point makes me feel like a bad person, but, hey...

Years ago, before I met my significant other, I was walking along a narrow mountain ridge with my then-partner, and the following scenario suddenly went through my mind: what if she slipped, and I just managed to grab her hand and hold her as she dangled above the precipice?

But in my other hand, swinging equally precariously above the other side of the ridge, was my entire Sea of Tunes collection (numbered edition box sets, slip cases etc...) -  but my strength was failing and I could only save one of them.

Which would it be?

To my shame I couldn't decide at the time.

However reading the above answers above are making me not feel too bad about the decision I eventually reached.   Evil

Fortunately, as I say, it was all theoretical, and in the end she did manage to meet someone nice and is now married.   Evil

My first-born is due in March and I'm now concocting ways of electrifying the CD cabinet so little hands can't get chocolate or poop on my prize possessions when he/she starts crawling.   Shocked
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:12:18 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »

Hey Wee Helper,

Congrats on the soon to be new addition.  My wife and I are expecting our first too (March 2nd is the due date).  I am also trying to figure out a music collection protection plan and I am very worried about it...

Hopefully there will be two new well educated Beach Boys fans entering the world soon though!

As for the options:
b, c, d (I do this when the cds just come in slip cases and are easily scratched - as much as I love the deluxe POB first edition fold out packaging those cds sleeves are murder to the cd surface), e and f.

In fact I quite often buy BB related cds that I have multiple extra copies of stuff I already have.  I think I have a OVER a HUNDRED extras or doubles of BB or BB related cds.  My wife often says I have a serious BB/BW obsessive compulsive disorder.  I suspect that I am not the only one though...
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »

Relax - no need to get worked up over what the little ones may do when they're ambulatory.  I say that with tongue planted firmly in cheek.  I was guilty as charged on that score when our young-un was about to hit that age.  Funny thing, once she started getting around, she never ever disturbed any of the CDs or the record collection, or stuck her finger in the light socket, or do any of those other Calvin-esque kid-horror stories that are the stuff of urban legend.   My take would be:  keep everything neatly shelved/stored, and let them see you taking care to keep everything just so, and they'll leave 'em alone.  No doubt there will be lots of toys/boxes/books etc. for them to focus on anyway, they'll just consider that media stuff part of the furniture.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

Dr. Tim,

I am happy to hear you have had a great experience with kids and music collections.  I hope I have a similar experience with my kid(s). 

Sorry to continue to highjack this thread but I have a pretty funny true story about my dad's record collection.  My dad still bugs me about it to this day.

Apparently I started to learn how to use the record player just after I learned to walk.  My parents thought it was so cute they would bring people over to show people my dj skills.  I started with just the power on and auto play functions.  Time moved on and unfortunately after learning how to hit the reset button and even later learning how to put records on the spindle I became a serious problem to my dads great collection and turntable. 

I guess I had my definite favorites (Beatles, Frankie Valli and The Beach Boys) and when I was done with one record I would just put another record on top of the last one that finished, and then kept stacking them up until there were six or seven full length records on the spindle at once.  Then I would pull off the records and throw them on a pile on the floor, then walk on a bunch more records while trying to find the next good one and start again.  If I liked a particular song I would just drag the needle and scratch the record till the right song came on.  I'm told that listening to music while playing Lego was my favorite thing to do up until age eight or nine and by that time (even though I was told many times to be careful and take care of the records and record player) I had killed hundreds of records (many of which were replaced more than once) as well as burning out serveral turntable motors and dozens of record needles.

art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »

I'm more or less b). I only buy vinyl and never CDs - sometimes I feel the worn-outness is part of the charm, my copy of Wild Honey for example is scratched to hell, but I wouldn't trade all that surface noise for anything. That said, I try to keep everything in the same condition I got it in as much as possible. I bought that recent 180g reissue of Pet Sounds and that sh*t will be kept as immaculate as possible tyvm.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

a. They're albums with music, meant to be played. They're not gods and i'm no fetisihist. Although e. is not entirely out of the question, either, if not to that extent. But I'm known to wander through the Bs and Ws.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:18:57 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »

My wife and I are expecting our first too (March 2nd is the due date).  I am also trying to figure out a music collection protection plan and I am very worried about it...
Rich,

Our due date (D-Day) is March 3. Considering a gaiter pit around the cabinet...

I have a similar "dupes" obsession but it's been on hold for three years, since meeting Steph. Smoking's out the window too. Both are habits I try not to think about too often...

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »

I'm more or less b). I only buy vinyl and never CDs - sometimes I feel the worn-outness is part of the charm, my copy of Wild Honey for example is scratched to hell, but I wouldn't trade all that surface noise for anything. That said, I try to keep everything in the same condition I got it in as much as possible. I bought that recent 180g reissue of Pet Sounds and that merda will be kept as immaculate as possible tyvm.

I'm with you about the vinyl, one thing is though is that I am obsessed with getting copies that play clean. I don't care if there are scratches that don't effect the play, but I like to have clear sounding vinyl.
As far as kids and records. I used to love playing records from 5 on and I know I broke some of my parents. I just liked them too much! I think a lock on the cabinet would be the way to go.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »

I win here by default since I value my collection more than most people. F for me. Smiley
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

I make a CD-R copy ASAP and never play the original again (fifty pts)

Absofreakinglutly. All vinyl went on cassette. When cassesttes were big, made EQ's copies to play. Now copy CDs - CDr.

BTW....this is why I can still play my 1983 cassette of Rarities with no problem Smiley.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »

I'm more careful with it than my other stuff, but I do use it.   The vinyl is in heavy plastic covers and kept seperate from the other lps.  I don't stack them but have them stored upright..always.   CDs are stored,  as many as will fit anyway, in a BB cd display sufrboard I got from a store after the last twofer release.  The rest are stored upright on their own shelf between polished stone bookends.  I'm careful to keep all cds in their cases and jackets.  I always make sure packages are intact with booklets and outer sleeves (such as with BLW)

My BB singles and picture sleeves are in old fashioned hard shell 45 boxes for safe keeping.  My BB picture sleeves generally get the same treatment as my rare PS by other groups, (plastic PS covers and the box).

Those who inherit my collection will find news clippings of the deaths of Dennis and Carl in their solo album sleeves.

I keep the BB collectibles nearby.  All BB related material is in one corner of the music room together.

All of the the "other" music is in the other corner, sort of alphabetized.  The cats sleep on them.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 03:50:34 AM »

Thanks to all so far for some wonderful info and anecdotes/recollections!

...although I will follow the US news with extra attention in the upcoming months; there might be two cases of a mysterious child disappearance on the horizon...

CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »

I go for d,e,f.  1250 points
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

I think we have a winner here... Cool Guy

CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

I think we have a winner here... Cool Guy
Wow I won?   Rock!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 03:20:39 AM »

Yes. You won a year's worth of psychiatric care in a fine Fla. institution, with expert doctors and sexy nurses. The down side: you won't be allowed to drag in music playing equipment nor CD's into your premises there.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 04:34:19 AM »

A mere 60 points. I buy originals and immediately make a CD-R copy...And I do try to keep care of these CD's more than normal. Afraid they'll go out of print!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »

A mere 60 points. I buy originals and immediately make a CD-R copy...And I do try to keep care of these CD's more than normal. Afraid they'll go out of print!

He, sounds very familiar. I think in my case my urge to care is indeed my youth: in the seventies, the availability of original BBs albums was bad. I recall jumping for joy when I found a UK copy of Smiley Smile, for instance. A bit later, 'Endless Summer' and 'Spirit of America' convinced me that there had to be a treasure trove hidden somewhere. So I sold off my Yes albums ('Tales From Topographic Oceans', arrgh...) and dived into the Pacific, metaphorically speaking, instead of into the Topographic. Felt much better.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx