gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:23:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Attn: ALAN, MARK, STEVE et al, HEROES AND VILLAINS cantina version  (Read 2449 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »

Hope that headline gets some attention from those guys if they come around.

I wonder what is wrong with the protection master of the cantina version of H&V. We have safety copies of PS used as well as others, and they don't sound as bad. I just wondered if the protection master is damaged, or more that 3 or 4 generations away from the master.

This track sounds alot better no noised because it evens out the rough sound at the begining. Mark tries to clear it up on the non no noised version from 2001, but it sounds better processed.

Bob
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

I agree - it sounds best to me on the 1990 Smiley/Wild Honey 2fer.  I'm not sure if the copy tape is damaged or if the copy was just poorly made (a crappy analogue transfer to a perfectly good tape).
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »

It is indeed from a reference reel that Brian made, perhaps for evaluation purposes. Obviously it wasn't very well kept. The audio artifacts on the tape are presumably present on the master.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »

I worked in radio and I know that when you play certain reels to copy, and it wasn't recorded on that tape machine, it doesn't sound as good. This copy acutally sounds distorted (too high of volume) on the copy or the master. Makeds you wonder were the master is.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »

I worked in radio and I know that when you play certain reels to copy, and it wasn't recorded on that tape machine, it doesn't sound as good. This copy acutally sounds distorted (too high of volume) on the copy or the master. Makeds you wonder were the master is.

I think, but am not sure, that Brian destroyed the master of that version, but Mark Linett found the reference dub in an unmarked tape box in 1988-89, during preparations for the Smile release that never was. Needless to say, he was blown away and brought it to Brian who of course we know was working with him at the time. Brian ok'd it for the two-fer.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »

Thanks BeachBoy. Here is something that always kind of got me. On Pet Sounds, they had to get the NYC safety master to grab the WIBN for the original PS CD. When the LA master went missing, they used the NYC copy for everything. But, according to Mark L. there were "lots" of flat copies of PS laying around Capitol. Why not use those, at least for WIBN.

Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »

Probably in the interest of "best sounding version". Needless to say, the best sounding version means sh*t nowadays since the 40th Anniversary reissue is EQ'd to hell.

Best way to hear PS is the 1972 version with CATP.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

I still have a copy of Carl and the Passions / Pet Sounds SEALED. Maybe time to break the seal and copy to CDR  Grin. I just got a pretty sweet new setup for my office.

http://www.teac.com/consumer_electronics/turntable_systems/lp-r400

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:12:44 PM by petsite » Logged
Jason
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »

Most definitely. It's the most full-sounding mono version you'll hear. Definitely take that virgin vinyl and rip it to a CD. You won't be disappointed.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »

I have to disagree.  I think the CATP version sounds kind of harsh and aggressive.  It's not terrible but it isn't great either.  I'd take the DCC or the green label Capitol over it any day.

BTW, the 40th version was sourced from a flat 16/44.1 copy though obviously EQ was applied from there.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »

I have to disagree.  I think the CATP version sounds kind of harsh and aggressive.  It's not terrible but it isn't great either.  I'd take the DCC or the green label Capitol over it any day.

BTW, the 40th version was sourced from a flat 16/44.1 copy though obviously EQ was applied from there.

Yep, a U1630 digital safety that Mark (retrospectively thank goodness) made. Copied flat from the original (what we call LA) master. The only thing I objected to was that Mark used the WIBN where he mixed the intro from the multi-tracks for the 40th aniversary release. Just use the NYC copy. It sounds good!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx