gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681111 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 11:01:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dumb Surf's Up question.  (Read 2328 times)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

Okay, indulge me with this: Grin

So I was half-listening to Brian's version of Child Is Father Of The Man today, and as it started, I inadvertantly started singing "Dove-nested towers..." to myself over it, then I realised what I was doing. But in the timing and tempo I was singing it in, it kinda fit. This leads me to ask, even though it's pretty daft - has anyone ever lashed the instrumental of CIFOTM to the second movement of Surf's Up?

The actual bit where the BBs sing the CIFOTM refrain wouldn't work, but that's used as the coda anyway, so minus that. And yes, it might take some editing, and fixing as regards pitch and time, and a section might need to be repeated, but alas I don't have any kind of editing equipment and lost my place trying to fit in because I don't have the instrumental. But could it work? The main, slow figure with the guitar used at the beginning of CIFOTM on BWPS and the end bit, with that smoky trumpet, just before SU on BWPS...is it possible, just for fun?

(I know I'm history's greatest monster, but I've never dug the track going into that sparse piano demo for the second movement).
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »

Its not a bad idea. I'd be interested to hear what it would sound like if someone knocked one together.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:51 AM »

That would mean Surf's Up = Surf's Up + Child Is the Father

in the same way that

Cabinessence = Home on the Range + Who Ran the Iron Horse + Grand Coulee Dam.

So the logic fits well to me... I know the above is already a known given, but spelling it out in my head it somehow seems fresh.

By "Brian's version", do you mean a 66/67 version or the 2004 version?

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »

Interesting idea - Child was recorded in October, Surf's Up 1st movement Nov 14, and then "Part 2" Jan 23rd.  It would be consistent with Brian's recording methods at that time to cannibalize Child for the 2nd movement of Surf's Up, just as he was taking sections from Old Master Painter and Worms to try and finish Heroes and Villains.  Maybe because of the upcoming TV documentary he felt compelled to try and finish Surf's Up, even though he was mostly working on getting a single finished.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »

Don't forget too that Brian cannibalized CIFOTM for Vega-Tables.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »

And Little Bird, right?

When I said Brian's version of Surf's Up, I meant the 1966 piano "demo". It'd be interesting to try and create a "full" instrumental version featuring purely 1966-67 elements (pardon the pun).
(However it was BWPS' CIFOTM I was listening to originally).

Purplechick's CIFOTM works okay on youtube, if you start singing "Dove nested towers" from the start maybe slightly slower than average perhaps, then the trumpet "wah-wah" seems to come in as you finish the line. Might need some time correction etc, but I think using just that 2:19 track, you could cannibalize a fitting track to use for Part 2. Maybe. Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:42:30 PM by John » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »

I've forgotten - what from CIFOTM was used for Veggies?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »

The "bop bop bop bop doo doo doo doo doo do" part that comes after "I burst into laughter".
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »

The "bop bop bop bop doo doo doo doo doo do" part that comes after "I burst into laughter".

I always figured that the SOT people just added that at the beginning themselves.  So it's clear that bit actually was part of the April '67 version of CIFOTM?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx