-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  "could of"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "could of"  (Read 12234 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

This is not an attack on anyone in particular. If anything, it's an attack on society. I'm not just being a grammar nazi here - there's a reason. I don't mind when people spell things wrong or use the wrong form of "to" or "they're" or anything like that. That's just informal, casual writing.

But for the people who use "could of", it's not just that they're being informal.

Context:

"Bob could of gone to the store, but he stayed home instead."

What sounds like "could of" in verbal conversation is not "could of", but "could've". It's a contraction for "could have".

When people use "could of", it's because they don't actually understand what they're saying.

If this offends anyone, I'll delete this topic, because I really do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I am only trying to inform.

I'm sorry I'm so crazy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »

This has bugged the S H I T out of me for years!!!!!  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »

This has bugged the S H I T out of me for years!!!!!  LOL

Me too!  Its one of those things where I don't want to be a jerk and point it out, but it annoys me to no end when people do it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »

I hate it. For some reason, I've noticed it a lot recently.

And what the hell, I'll one-up you, Aegir. I do hate when people use the wrong form of to/two/too and their/they're/there.  Typos are one thing. Drunken rants (ahem) are one thing. Writing in your second language is one thing. But it's really hard for me to take someone seriously if he can't master third- or fourth-grade English (assuming he's an English speaker).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »

could of would of should of

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »

GODDAMNIT.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »

GODDAMNIT.

Now, that could lead onto a whole other kind of discussion (rules & guidelines, especially nr.3)

But assuming you don't mean this seriously, that still leaves the question: did you spell it right?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

That wasn't foul language. It was a plea to any deity who may exist to damn your poor use of English.

And yes, I spelled it correctly. I capitalized it annoyingly, but the letters are all there and in the proper order...

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

"Could of" etc. bugs me too.  They should write "could've"-- that'd be correct. I can see where one could make that mistake, but it bugs me.

But whatevs.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

"Could of" etc. bugs me too.  They should write "could've"-- that'd be correct. I can see where one could make that mistake, but it bugs me.

But whatevs.

Right on. And another thing I hate: "whatevs"!!!!  LOL Smokin Wink

(Couldn't resist)

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »

That wasn't foul language. It was a plea to any deity who may exist to damn your poor use of English.

And yes, I spelled it correctly. I capitalized it annoyingly, but the letters are all there and in the proper order...

I hope you weren't taking me too seriously here... (but I could say that in fact it should be 3 separate words, space characters and all...)

(and, hey, I'm Dutch so who am I to judge on the proper use of the English language, but I hope it's a comfort for you that even I know that one should write "could've"    Grin  )

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »

I don't take anything on a message board too seriously. Hence my consistent loose play with the rules and repeated threats of being banned.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 04:55:28 AM »

The Beatles - I Should Of Known Better

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Of Been

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

if it makes you feel any better, during my student teaching this semester, a 1st grader asked me how to spell gonna & I corrected by saying 'going to'

but then again, whenever the kids are playing around instead of their work, i say something like stop 'fiddling about'....man, if I wasn't such a fan of Tommy

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »

The Beatles - I Should Of Known Better

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Of Been

What? You're rewriting things incorrectly? The Beatles song was correctly done. I Should Have Known Better. (As for NIN, I don't know and won't bother to find out because, well, f*** 'em.)

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 05:07:36 AM »

if it makes you feel any better, during my student teaching this semester, a 1st grader asked me how to spell gonna & I corrected by saying 'going to'

but then again, whenever the kids are playing around instead of their work, i say something like stop 'fiddling about'....man, if I wasn't such a fan of Tommy
What's wrong with "fiddling about?" Grammatically there is no problem. I don't think kids should be taught to scorn colloquialisms, only inaccuracies.
Though they should know when they are and aren't appropriate, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:02:01 AM by lance » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »

oh, i wasnt saying that fiddling about was bad, i was just stating a random fact of my usual vocabulary   Razz

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »

could of doesn't even make sense in any form. 

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »

I hate it. For some reason, I've noticed it a lot recently.

And what the hell, I'll one-up you, Aegir. I do hate when people use the wrong form of to/two/too and their/they're/there.  Typos are one thing. Drunken rants (ahem) are one thing. Writing in your second language is one thing. But it's really hard for me to take someone seriously if he can't master third- or fourth-grade English (assuming he's an English speaker).

Luther -

for some reason I could predict that it would be you who'd bring in booze in this discussion.

And yes, I don't like 'could of', neither 'there/they're' mixups.'

Americans tend to write 'wierd', and 'Lieber & Stoller' too. That is strange, because, for instance, 'bier', 'die', and 'lie' are pronounced rather differently. One could make a case for a reform that would prescribe 'weerd', and 'Leeber & Stoller'... come to that, 'Leiber' and 'Lieberman' sound much the same. 'Seinfeld' is much different from 'Leiber', of course. I don't know, perhaps it's a matter of the Jewish origin of these names. 'Leiber' and 'Weintraub' derive from 'Leib' (body) and 'Wein' (wine), respectively, whereas 'Lieberman' derives from 'Lieb' (lovely, affectionate).

Just my two cents and all corrections are much welcome.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »

Rediculous ... and overuse of ellipses ... when a sentence really should end ... I mean, shouldn't it? ... because they don't have to wander ... bunch of semi-coherent, semi-connected half-thoughts? ... and of course the misspellings (see rediculous) ... that's what pisses me off lately.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:02 PM »

Rediculous ... and overuse of ellipses ... when a sentence really should end ... I mean, shouldn't it? ... because they don't have to wander ... bunch of semi-coherent, semi-connected half-thoughts? ... and of course the misspellings (see rediculous) ... that's what pisses me off lately.

Definately.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »

Definately.

I agrea wif yas, althogh I muss amit I am guiltee off diss to sumtymes Evil
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 02:08:01 AM »

Definately.

I agrea wif yas, althogh I muss amit I am guiltee off diss to sumtymes Evil

Thanx. And the only way to pronounce the name of a certain famed singer is: Hovis Parsley.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »

I'd like to add "end thread," "/thread" and any other permutations that hint the poster thinks his or her word on the subject is in any way definitive or final. f*** that sh*t.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »

I'd like to add "end thread," "/thread" and any other permutations that hint the poster thinks his or her word on the subject is in any way definitive or final. foda that merda.

Hehe, yes, dear Luther. Also: [sarcasm][/sarcasm] or [irony][/irony], as if the poster is completely unable to let his or her feelings shine trough the words themselves. Sort of a confession of one's own limited means of expression.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: