gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:52:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surfin' USA
5 - 8 (9.2%)
4 - 27 (31%)
3 - 43 (49.4%)
2 - 8 (9.2%)
1 - 1 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfin' USA  (Read 30535 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »

Ever since I've read The Lost Beach Boy, I've come to appreciate this album more. The guitar playing, the early production value, the naive lyrics and vocals. The pop tunes are really good, : Lana, Shut Down, Finders Keepers, and Farmer's Daugther being the highlights. The instrumentals should not be overlooked, being that I could see most of this material being performed live, I'm surprised most of the songs haven't turned up as being performed as a whole in concert, perhaps in a different order with Surfin Safari songs. Shame that Lonely Sea is kind of the lonely ballad on Surfin USA; just think if Thank Him made it onto this album, it might be right up there with Lonely Sea....perhaps with a Beach Boy harmony added or just Brian stacking his own voice with it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Simple album full of nice ditties and instrumentals. Track picks for me would be Farmer's Daughter - classic Brian falsetto, Stoked - a nice instrumental, Lonely Sea - another great Brian vocal,  and Shut Down - nice sax solo by Mike

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »

Still not great, but definitely an improvement over Surfin' Safari.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »

A step up from the debut. Still, the Beach Boys are going to get a LOT better.
By far the best track is "Lonely Sea". "Farmer's Daughter" is another gem worth mentioning.
But "Surfin' USA" is plagiarism, "Shut Down" like most of their car songs is overrated, and the instrumentals could be a lot better.
It is still an enjoyable album, however. Gotta love the cover!
3 out of 5
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »

'Surfin' USA' may be plagiarism, but it's a fantastic song and better than 'Sweet Little Sixteen' anyway.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
bluesno1fann
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

'Surfin' USA' may be plagiarism, but it's a fantastic song and better than 'Sweet Little Sixteen' anyway.
That is true, and they did eventually credit Chuck Berry. But still...
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »

It's a shame this record didn't have one or two more solid ballads on it...

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

You walk in a store + you recently discovered BB.. And you look behind the counter and see this lp sittin there with a a cool surfer cover..OMG.. !! And you take it home and you are aware of Dick Dale  Surfaris  Challengers  Ventures  etc.. You put this on and the music comes on and you suddenly get hit with the music like a ton of bricks. !!  OMG I wanna play the guitar.! Next day I wanna play the drums..! NIRVANA .. Did I mention I went into a private booth to listen to it.. ?/ In spring 1963 this was it for a California boy.. 4/5
KDS
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 05:43:39 AM »

This album is light years ahead of Surfin Sufari production wise.  It sounds more like a focused group and less like a novelty record. 

There's the classic title track that I never tire of despite the over exposure. 

This album is significant in that it has the first Brian Wilson ballad that was released in Lonely Sea, a sadly overlooked gem. 

It's a little odd that a group whose main strength was their vocal arrangement would release an album with so many instrumentals, but its a product of the time.  And while Dick Dale's version is essential, The Beach Boys version of "Miserlou" is worth checking out.  Personally, I love the liner notes that mention that TBB version is more well known.  The innocent days before Pulp Fiction. 

I'd rate it either a very high 3, or a low 4. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »

Surfin' USA - 5/5
Farmer's Daughter - 5/5
Misirlou - 3/5
Stoked - 2/5
Lonely Sea - 5/5
Shut Down - 5/5
Noble Surfer - 4/5
Honky Tonk - 2/5
Lana - 3/5
Surf Jam - 2/5
Let's Go Trippin' - 3/5
Finders Keepers - 4/5

A quantum leap forward from the debut, some real classics on here but at least one instrumental too many.
4/5 overall.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »

Some early classics here----"SUSA", "FD", "LS", "SD", "Lana" (not a fragment at all), "FK"...

And unlike some I just love the sea of instrumentals----the Carl--Dave guitar machine in full flight. "Honky Tonk" is way better than Bill Doggett's original dirge and the Dick tracks are just as listenable as Mr Dale's. Love it.

5/5   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »

Reading through the run-down of concerts in Ian and Jon's splendid book, I noticed to my great delight (on page 27) that the Boys' set list for the two August 17, 1963 shows at Wayne County Fair, Homedale, PA, which David Marks had saved, contains the 1958 Duane Eddy instrumental "Moovin' 'N' Groovin'". That intro sure sounds familiar: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lqFlxMiMfE 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »

I put this on tonight for the first time in a long time, it really is a good album for the era. Instrumentals were big in the early 60's, so it does make sense that they do a few - although I remember, upon first hearing this album in the early 90's, being surprised at how many they did! "Misirlou" is a great, this might be the best album to put on for those who doubt what great guitarists Carl and Dave were.
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »

Surfin USA (Mono, 2015 AP release)

Side 1:

1. Surfin' USA - *****
Awesome song. First time we hear the classic Beach Boys sound (double-tracked lead, Brian on high notes, thick harmonies) I think.

2. Farmer's Daughter - ****
Great lead from Brian, lovely second song on the album.

3. Misirlou - **

4. Stoked - **

5. Lonely Sea - ****
Another great Brian lead. According to setlist.fm this was performed live I remember? Would be interesting to hear.

6. Shut Down - ****
Like in the previous album, another solid car song that was in rotations for a long time.

Side 2:

7. Noble Surfer - ***
Not the song I would have chosen to open up the second side, but the instrumental break is fun.

8. Honkey Tonk - **

9. Lana - ****
Love the lead here. Really nice to have more Brian leads here.

10. Surf Jam - **

11. Let's Go Trippin - **

12. Finders Keepers - ***
This is okay. Some Beach Boys albums have a tendency to finish weak, so this is not a bad closer.

Overall Rating: ***
A lot of the instrumentals here don't really do it for me. The title track is an amazing song, and there a few other standouts.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx