gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:49:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking Back With Love - The 1st solo album of a Beach Boys' member  (Read 13905 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 01:23:24 AM »

And damn, all we have got left is that Unsurpassed Farts compact cassette with the 34 seconds that some neighborhood kids taped outside of Mike's studio... tantalizing and utterly frustrating. What might have been if Brian 'Brain' Wilson had just taken a tab of acid that day instead of visiting Mike? We will never know. Perhaps, someday, a writer will write a novel about it: Glimpse: Eavesdropping With Love, or something.

Unsurpassed Farts...doesn't that have the rare experimental track "George Fell into his Ass Horn" ?

Yep. It also features an out-of-this-world version (in stereo) of 'Let The Wind Blow', some copies have a scratch 'n' sniff cover.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »

Here is Abba's version of On and On and On: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8G2V6dsVuU

I like Mike's a lot better.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

The singing, production and, in some cases, the choice of songs make this unlistenable. 
I've been a BB nut since 1964 and I find it less unlistenable than Gettin In Over My Head on all those counts .... it's all subjective, huh?
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »

And, actually, "On And On And On" was barely a year old when Mike covered it,
... not something you could say about some of his wives
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »

having listened to pretty much everything beach boys related at this stage even "LBWL" and "unleash the love" should i find "first love" or "country love" and give em a go? I mean really? should i?

still havent listened to "goin public"  or "many moods" either. maybe some day... Razz

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »

having listened to pretty much everything beach boys related at this stage even "LBWL" and "unleash the love" should i find "first love" or "country love" and give em a go? I mean really? should i?

still havent listened to "goin public"  or "many moods" either. maybe some day... Razz

No. It's that time again, MBW: take two green and three yellow pills with water, and go to bed. You know what those first two albums did to you, don't you?

SG7
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »

On and On and On is hilarious. I love the campy feel of it! Even better I found a promo copy of the album at an antique store for $5 mint!!  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »

On and On and On is hilarious. I love the campy feel of it! Even better I found a promo copy of the album at an antique store for $5 mint!!  Grin

A. Promo. Copy. Of. A. Mike. Love. Album.

I think I never will be able to top that. Perhaps I should leave this life. The hope for any big prize has been lost just now. Oh, what hast thou done to meek me, Surfer Woman? The trophy is thine, and woe is mine, and ne'er again shall I taste the full richness of this here life again... Cry Cry Cry

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »

First Love.

Country Love if you can put up with some corn and the Lovester's Western twang.  Personally, I find it no more offensive than Jagger's. But I really don't like LBWL.  Try the second Celebration album too.  Try Going Public if you want to be disappointed (or pissed off) with most of the tracks - but it's not all bad!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »

First Love.

Country Love if you can put up with some corn and the Lovester's Western twang.  Personally, I find it no more offensive than Jagger's. But I really don't like LBWL.  Try the second Celebration album too.  Try Going Public if you want to be disappointed (or pissed off) with most of the tracks - but it's not all bad!

There is one (1) brief moment of joy on 'Going Public', and that is in 'I Write The Songs', when for around 3 seconds suddenly a choir chimes in. The rest is utterly forgettable.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »

I think I never will be able to top that. Perhaps I should leave this life. The hope for any big prize has been lost just now. Oh, what hast thou done to meek me, Surfer Woman? The trophy is thine, and woe is mine, and ne'er again shall I taste the full richness of this here life again... Cry Cry Cry

Fantastic post, got a good laugh out of that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

Fantastic post, got a good laugh out of that.

Thanks, WHIS! Since this is my last peek of the day here, it is a lovely surprise to read your comment!

SG7
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

Hey it doesn't beat drinking alcohol with Brian's band now  Wink
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »

If you know LBWL, you already know a good number of "First Love" tracks. First Love is ok/good, Mike can write songs, but when you put 12 of them together it lacks some... musical richness. The rotten quality of the boot doesn't help either. I think if we could listen to them in the same quality as "Brian's Back" in Endless Harmony the material could breath a little. I never spent much time with "Country Love".

Don't forget the first two Celebration albums. "Sad Sad Summer" is a really good song. Mike doesn't sing all the leads in the albums, but they're worth a listen... in a MIU way.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

If only that choir on I Write the Songs had been the BB...  I also like Thank You Baby and Disney Girls.

None of the First Love songs turn up on LBWL;  however, several are on his latest unreleased opus.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

None of the First Love songs turn up on LBWL;  however, several are on his latest unreleased opus.

Of course. I had the latter in mind.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »

There are three Celebration albums, actually. The third one's called Disco Celebration. Mike co-wrote four of the five songs on it but you can only hear him on one track - he sings backing vocals on the mainly-instrumental version of California Girls. The one track he didn't co-write is First Love, which is the same song he covers on the eponymous album.

I have a lot of stuff by Bruce Johnston, but Going Public isn't one of them! I'll pick it up eventually, but I'm in no hurry after hearing that horribly butchered version of Deirdre. He took everything I loved about the song and flushed it down the toilet. Something I've been looking for is an album called Love You So by Ron Holden. Bruce produced it and wrote 9 of the 11 tracks. Here's one of them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1pSB0MbiCo

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:18 PM »

Yep, the version of  Deidre's horrible!
MBE
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:09 AM »

Bruce's sixties stuff and even the Barry Mann album are quite good, his 77 solo album blows. I think it's the only Beach Boys LP I got rid of and never replaced.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2009, 05:27:01 AM »

oops.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:27:58 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 05:49:09 AM »

Hey it doesn't beat drinking alcohol with Brian's band now  Wink

Oh, sweet Surferwoman, thou hast awakened thy servant from those lethal musings... I thank thee for these uplifting words!

*...is quickly running out of Old English words...*

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:01 AM »

oops.

?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »

His latest unreleased album is way better than LBWL, despite some of the cornball lyrics.
MBE
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »

His latest unreleased album is way better than LBWL, despite some of the cornball lyrics.
Agreed, it is a well thought out album with good songs overall. It's easily the best thing Mike did since the 70's.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »

Is LBWL as bad/good as 15BO?

Concerning Bruce, I think he is the biggest underachiever of all the BBs! He showed at times that he was capable of producing and writing incredable songs. And he could've done so much better then Going Public.

By the way, I think that Mike love circa LBWL looks like the excorsist Bob Larson! Look him up! I don't know how to put pictures on here.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx