gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:30:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking Back With Love - The 1st solo album of a Beach Boys' member  (Read 13902 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »

My copy doesn't say "First solo album of a Beach Boys member" on it. That must be a sticker put on by someone way down the line.

The picture shows the French pressing, hence the same words in 2 languages: "le 1er album solo d'un membre des Beach Boys" / the 1st solo album of a Beach Boys' member"

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

I don't remember the U.S. pressing I bought at the time of release having that sticker, so perhaps someone in France made an honest mistake...perhaps...
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »

Or it could be a Canadian pressing since we're bilingual up here...

Curt Becher (Boettcher) produced this album, which is definitely ok but nothing special

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »

Isn't it weird how people don't talk about how Brian ruined LBWL the way Mike ruined SMiLE?

Little does anyone know, the original vision of LBWL was a movement of 3 parts:

1. When I Had Hair (Californ-I-A ,Baby!)
2. When I Grew A Beard And Lost Most Of My Hair (Acid Illiteration-Real Bummer of a Trip, Man)
3. Bowel Movement

It was one clear cut vision, and Mike was steady laying down these beautiful pieces of music in the studio. He had reached the point where he was levitating on a daily basis, and had reached that inner place hardly any of us go: 50 Million Dollars in his bank account.

'Stray Dog' Tom McCoy was the drummer on those LBWL sessions, and says Mike was in another world, musically: 'He was just coming up with stuff all the time. He'd pick up a guitar and basically write a pop symphony to Buddha right there on the spot. He'd do these drum parts that were mind blowing, like a thousand Keith Moons on one drum set. He didn't need us there to do music, because he could do it all. He basically allowed us to just bask in his glory. I guess that was part of his 'Mission' that Marahishi gave him. To let others worship Mike and realize real genius'.

Mike had a lot of the tracks laid down when Brian unexpectedly stopped by the studio for a visit. Mike, proud of what he had done so far, played Brian some of these mind blowing tracks. Brian sat stone faced for quite awhile before giving Mike advice that was a blow to Mike's ego: 'It sucks'.

Mike immediately wiped the tracks after Brian left, and went home to his house in the hills and didn't return to the stuido for a month. When he did, it was with 4 ten year olds he hired at the local elementary school and 4 synthysizers. Together, they laid down what became LBWL.

Stray Dog again: I just think it was a crime that Brian trashed the music like that. Clearly, everyone knew that when it came to writing music, Mike wasn't very sure about his skills as a writer. And Brian knew this, and threw it in his face by trashing the music. What I heard when the final product came out was a real bastardization of the music.  It was like someone took those beautiful tracks and stripped them down to nothing.'

Why don't people talk about this?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »

Or it could be a Canadian pressing since we're bilingual up here...

Curt Becher (Boettcher) produced this album, which is definitely ok but nothing special

well... the pressing I'm holding in my hands says: "grave et presse en France", so that solves your question.
Isn't it weird how people don't talk about how Brian ruined LBWL the way Mike ruined SMiLE?

2. When I Grew A Beard And Lost Most Of My Hair (Acid Illiteration-Real Bummer of a Trip, Man)
3. Bowel Movement

'cause we're all affraid that might lead to a re-recorded release in 2018, 37 years after the project was shelved...  Grin

with raving reviews...  Ahhh!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »

Honestly, out of the Love-ster solo cannon, I can only take his newer stuff (though re-using Brian's Back and slowing it down way too much, let alone his and Brian's relationship in the 2000's) and the Mike and Dean stuff, but they're pretty bad 80s oldies covers...somehow, I still have an ear for it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »

I have in front of me the US release LP.  Boardwalk NB1 33242, UPC 7912-33242-1 I actually like the LP. I ordered it and Carl Wilson's first solo LP from The Beach Boy's fan club newsletter's classifieds. I spent 40 dollars for the 2 of them back in 1983. I always liked the catchy style/ sound Mike brought to The Beach Boys sound, so it is no wander i liked his LP. I love everything on side one. And on side 2, the only I I like is Calendar Girl. I never got into all the politics or disputes among the group, so I was/ am in it just for how it sounds to me. Hence, why I bought the LP. MY copy doesn't have the sticker you show in this thread. I learned much later on that Mike released HIS LP in light of knowing about the popularity of Dennis'. It didn't/doesn't really matter though to me. I just enjoy any music they put out. Solo or as a group.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:19:28 PM by Alf64 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »

It is a pretty bad album. Even the Mike and Dean records were more fun due to the cheese factor. First Love and Unleash The Love were both good albums on the whole, and I am surprised that they never came out. The stuff he cut with Adrian Baker is even worse then this album. Much worse.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

What's Brian's involvement, I feel like he had something to do with Be my Baby. And what's with Mike choosing that song? "oh, I don't even know what my favorite song of all time is, how about Brian's fav, I'll dedicate and ruin it!"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »

Brian plays piano on Be My Baby, actually.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »

This is a fun little album. Not great, not bad, doesn't strive to be anything more. And for the umpteenth time - MIKE ONLY HAD A HAND IN ONE OF THE LYRICS!

Mike couldn't write something as bad as "Good Vibrations, assassinations." He wrote the words to The Warmth of the Sun for f***'s sake.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »

Right, I know he didn't write it, but if any BB would sing that lyric, it'd be the Lovester

~post of the century~
-Mikie

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »

Calendar Girl: The arrangement is pretty much the same as on the BB outtake (from 15 Big Ones ?).
For collectors who wanna have them all:
France: Running Around the World/One Good Reason (w. PS)
Germany: Looking Back.../One Good Reason (w. PS)
Germany: Be My Baby/Teach me Tonight (w. PS)

Watson, did you hear this?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 02:51:13 AM »

Just listening to the album and my mum made fun of me when she was singing "Runnin' Around The World".  Roll Eyes  However, I like this song, it has a catchy refrain. The bass line in "Over and Over" is cool, "On and On and On" and "Rockin The Man In The Boat" are nice rockers, I don't mind "Be My Baby", though I like the alternate version much more. The title track is nice enough and I love "Calendar Girl". The last 3 tracks are boring but overall I like this album.  Smiley  It is a lot of fun. It's unusual that Mike would play almost the whole album live (besides 2 tracks, I think).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:53:40 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 04:24:30 AM »

The singing, production and, in some cases, the choice of songs make this unlistenable.  The worst BB-related album by a country mile.  Now if only he managed to release First Love instead...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »

Also sings bvs and produced the basic track back in summer 1980.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 05:32:14 AM »

Also sings bvs and produced the basic track back in summer 1980.

Strange he wasn't credited...you think that'd be a major selling point...maybe they couldn't work it out with Caribou.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »

3. Bowel Movement

It was one clear cut vision, and Mike was steady laying down these beautiful pieces of music in the studio. He had reached the point where he was levitating on a daily basis, and had reached that inner place hardly any of us go: 50 Million Dollars in his bank account.

'Stray Dog' Tom McCoy was the drummer on those LBWL sessions, and says Mike was in another world, musically: 'He was just coming up with stuff all the time. He'd pick up a guitar and basically write a pop symphony to Buddha right there on the spot. He'd do these drum parts that were mind blowing, like a thousand Keith Moons on one drum set. He didn't need us there to do music, because he could do it all. He basically allowed us to just bask in his glory. I guess that was part of his 'Mission' that Marahishi gave him. To let others worship Mike and realize real genius'.

Mike had a lot of the tracks laid down when Brian unexpectedly stopped by the studio for a visit. Mike, proud of what he had done so far, played Brian some of these mind blowing tracks. Brian sat stone faced for quite awhile before giving Mike advice that was a blow to Mike's ego: 'It sucks'.

Mike immediately wiped the tracks after Brian left, and went home to his house in the hills and didn't return to the stuido for a month. When he did, it was with 4 ten year olds he hired at the local elementary school and 4 synthysizers. Together, they laid down what became LBWL.

Stray Dog again: I just think it was a crime that Brian trashed the music like that. Clearly, everyone knew that when it came to writing music, Mike wasn't very sure about his skills as a writer. And Brian knew this, and threw it in his face by trashing the music. What I heard when the final product came out was a real bastardization of the music.  It was like someone took those beautiful tracks and stripped them down to nothing.'

Grin sorry, I just had to quote this, because it's so funny... and we should stop seeing the Lovester as the bad banana in the Beach Boys basket. He ranks up there with Bach, Shostakovich, Mozart, and Debussy, to put it mildly. And 'Caroline, No' sinks into oblivion when compared with Mike's genius 'Hair' suite... it's a little known fact that Van Dyke Parks had composed the transitional music for Mike's magnum opus. They already had secured a deal with the prestigious RCA Red Seal record label too...

And damn, all we have got left is that Unsurpassed Farts compact cassette with the 34 seconds that some neighborhood kids taped outside of Mike's studio... tantalizing and utterly frustrating. What might have been if Brian 'Brain' Wilson had just taken a tab of acid that day instead of visiting Mike? We will never know. Perhaps, someday, a writer will write a novel about it: Glimpse: Eavesdropping With Love, or something.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »

It's a fantastic thing that moments in the BB history like this, have been quietly swept under the rug.

Now as long as Mike doesn't release another Solo LP The BB will remain cool,  Grin

Also I agree with The Real Beach Boy, Mike Wrote lyrics to WOTS and All I Wanna Do etc, he could of done better than this, amazing how he has written some of the best and worst lyrics in history haha

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »

I remember buying it back in '81 when my music tastes tended to the cheesier (I was a lad, after all) and liking side one, hating side two.  I can remember that I enjoyed "Rockin' The Man In The Boat" and "On and On and On" particularly, and I have a feeling I'd still enjoy the latter song...I remember Mike's leering delivery actually suiting the song, and the modern arrangement of an ABBA cover being an unusually canny move.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »

I can remember that I enjoyed "Rockin' The Man In The Boat" and "On and On and On" particularly, and I have a feeling I'd still enjoy the latter song...I remember Mike's leering delivery actually suiting the song, and the modern arrangement of an ABBA cover being an unusually canny move.

And, actually, "On And On And On" was barely a year old when Mike covered it, and it wasn't really a hit for ABBA in the U.S.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

I can remember that I enjoyed "Rockin' The Man In The Boat" and "On and On and On" particularly, and I have a feeling I'd still enjoy the latter song...I remember Mike's leering delivery actually suiting the song, and the modern arrangement of an ABBA cover being an unusually canny move.

And, actually, "On And On And On" was barely a year old when Mike covered it, and it wasn't really a hit for ABBA in the U.S.

As far as I remember Abba have cited Do It Again as a direct influence on writing On And On And On, so this might be the reason Mike chose to do that cover version.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »

Yeah, and there's that little "hey now" tag in it, so that's probably right.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »

And damn, all we have got left is that Unsurpassed Farts compact cassette with the 34 seconds that some neighborhood kids taped outside of Mike's studio... tantalizing and utterly frustrating. What might have been if Brian 'Brain' Wilson had just taken a tab of acid that day instead of visiting Mike? We will never know. Perhaps, someday, a writer will write a novel about it: Glimpse: Eavesdropping With Love, or something.

Unsurpassed Farts...doesn't that have the rare experimental track "George Fell into his Ass Horn" ?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

It has those beautiful 80/81 production values - think Tootsie soundtrack. Not bad, but barely ok. I'm sure two or three tracks from it van find their way to our Mike Love fan made anthologies. :-)

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx