gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681013 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:23:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's whereabouts during the 1973 In Concert show  (Read 5294 times)
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »

Reagarding the show for the 1973 In Concert album.

I knew Dennis was present with injured hand and minimal instrumental/vocal duties.  Is it also correct that Brain and Marilyn were present at the recording of this live album?  Did he sing anywhere on it?   If so, why not(other than the obvious reason)?

This show is one of my favorites and it just sounds grand on vinyl!

Any details/history surrounding this topic would be appreciated:

Was BW mentioned at the show?
Did he make a stage appearance?
His last gig with them before/next gig after?
Inner band arguments?
How was Dennis' hand was injured?

etc.....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:28:47 PM by NightHider » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

In Concert was recorded over numerous different shows, none of which featured Brian, who at the time was really beginning to hit rock bottom.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

Well...Brian did make a cameo appearance at the Hollywood Palladium show on April 20 1973 as is discussed on another thread on this board.  The album cover photos apparently come from this show, but most of the album was recorded at later 1973 shows-check the Through the Opera Glass site for the details or of course  the Bellagio site (where you can see Concert/Session Info compiled by yours truly and the great AGD)
MBE
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

They really should have put the Barbara Ann with him singing on the LP. It would have been a major selling point as his voice was still good. He last appereared in 12-71 to play Day In The Life Of A Tree, he next showed up in July 1976 and by then his vocie was in bad shape. I don't think inner band arguments played any role in the LP. Dennis hurt himself when he was drunk slammed a glass door and put his hand through it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:24:23 PM by MBE » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »

I wonder if Alan Boyd could tell us if any of Brian's 1970 BBs shows were taped by the band-perhaps Desper recorded one of the Whiskey shows? Is the Seattle Feb 28 1970 show's existence from a tape made by a fan?-or is it a boot of a tape in the vaults?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »

A Day in the Life of a Tree ...live?

That would have been a fascinating concert experience...I really like this song and personally find the tag to match or even beat that of Til I Die in terms of absolute poignancy...very moving indeed.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »

That would have been a fascinating concert experience...I really like this song and personally find the tag to match or even beat that of Til I Die in terms of absolute poignancy...very moving indeed.

Cheers

Too bad Jack Reily forgot the words halfway through the song on stage, prompting the audience to virtually feed him his lines.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »

Cheers

Too bad Jack Reily forgot the words halfway through the song on stage, prompting the audience to virtually feed him his lines.

Yeah, but listen to it again.. when Jack hesitates on the second 'oh lord I lay me down' line, you can faintly hear Brian himself sing it in all its glory.  amazing moment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:55:03 PM by variable2 » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »

I would kill to hear "A Day In The Life of a Tree" live...especially in 1971 with Brian.  Come to think of it, I would love for Brian to play it live now (highly doubtful though).
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

I would kill to hear "A Day In The Life of a Tree" live...especially in 1971 with Brian.  Come to think of it, I would love for Brian to play it live now (highly doubtful though).
Agree on all points. Imagine the crowd in 1971, not everyone having heard the Surf's Up album...suddenly, without warning or intro, Jack Rieley's voice and a majestic organ: "Feeeeeeeel...the wind".  What an experience! Cheesy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »

Imagine the mass exodus to the concession stands and restrooms ...  LOL

Even in 1971, audiences weren't that patient.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »

It really would suit Brians voice now to hear him sing this wonderful piece. Frankly its in my top 10 favorites of Brian's whole career/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »

Imagine the mass exodus to the concession stands and restrooms ...  LOL

Even in 1971, audiences weren't that patient.

Having been at that 12-3-71 concert (in fact, unless there is more than one version of the concert audio floating around, I was the one who made that muddy overmodulated cassette recording) I can attest to the fact that there was no exodus to the concession stands and restrooms.  Brain Wilson was on stage playing the organ while Jack was singing "Tree", and the audience definitely seemed to be into the experience.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

The audience was into the experience??
I saw a show in Saint Louis that tour and most of the audience was tripping and or stoned out of their head. This of course made "getting into" the show that much easier, no matter what they were playing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »

They really should have put the Barbara Ann with him singing on the LP. It would have been a major selling point as his voice was still good. He last appereared in 12-71 to play Day In The Life Of A Tree, he next showed up in July 1976 and by then his vocie was in bad shape. I don't think inner band arguments played any role in the LP. Dennis hurt himself when he was drunk slammed a glass door and put his hand through it.
Hate to bump an old thread, but did Brian sing the whole Barbara Ann song with the Falsetto?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Cheers

Yeah, but listen to it again..

I can't listen to it "again", I haven't listened to it ever, as I don't have it! Is it on YouTube? Probably not...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MBE
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »

Hate to bump an old thread, but did Brian sing the whole Barbara Ann song with the Falsetto?

Somebody on here posted on the show and he even took a pic of Brian, but some dude stood up and blocked it. A shame as I only know of one photo from 1973. In any case from what I understood that's the song he sang on, but I have no idea if he sang lead. The 1970 show that exists has him singing it. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx